Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #1
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started
Default Funny guy in a weird sort of way comments.

Met with the accordion playing guy I mentioned here once before. We we're trying to work through a Texas Tornado song and he stops me in the middle of the first verse and says, "You're playing it wrong." Me not the best guitar player I let him tell me how it should be done and try his way. It sounds OK and I can see where he's coming from but it's certainly not the way the TT guys play it.

When I point this fact out to him he says, "I know, but my way will sound better."

I laugh my ass off at him for a minute and start listing the credentials of the TT and their members. He agrees they've accomplished a lot but that "I can even point out mistakes that Bach made."

Well I'm not technical in the least, and I guess artists may make mistakes on technical terms, but if the music sounds good, it's good and I plan on playing as close as the song was written, I'm not good enough to begin to criticize a song writers ability.

Does anyone know a guy like this and could he be correct? I find him funny so it's not an issue for us, just that he's odd that way.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #2
crank

crank Just getting started

Couple of thoughts.

First, when you are playing a song solo or as a duo there may be adjustments you can, perhaps should make to make the song sound good. Different instrumentation, no bass and drums.

Second, I was trying to get a gigging do together with a guy who was a god guitarist and good singer. He often criticized my playing as too busy which I totally got as I tend to throw a bunch of stuff in to see what sounds good and what doesn't when I am learning songs. Not so much a problem on solos but can be annoying when playing fills during a verse. I totally got his point and explained my method to him and dialed it back in an effort to not annoy him.

A week or so later I mentioned to him that he needed to learn to leave space for my playing. He got really offended and sent me a long email about how he had been playing along with the best bands in the world for 30 years and so on and so forth. I decided it was time to move on.

Moral of the story is that playing nice with others is a lot different than playing on your own or playing along to recordings. There has to be give and take.

This is probably good experience for you, but you also need to judge it as if you were dating someone: are his quirks going to really bug you after a while? My guess is yes.
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:07 PM   #3
Lefty Louie
Banned

I don't know if his quarks will bug me as time rolls along or not, they bug me a bit now, but it's just a bit and we can laugh about it. He's not domineering where it's his way or the highway type thing, he just has an expected outcome and as you mentioned with no backing band he's just making substitutions.

There are things he brings to the table that I don't, we speak a different language, he speaks "music" and I speak in lay terms, he knows technical stuff and I'm more fluid. After we wrapped up that TT song he asked if I could do a simple Bo Didley thing, I got right into it and we meshed well, almost like we'd been playing together for a year.

I play with another guitarist each week and am aware of the give and take the relationship requires, 2 people 2 different ideas of getting to the finish line, you only compound that when you add a 3rd and or 4th etc.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:13 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

I have found it never works out when giving somebody else very specific direction in how something should be played. I've witnessed near fights break out between other players. In my very early days of playing in a band, I had tried to get the other guitar player to do a rhythm part the way I would have and I eventually let it go because I could tell it wasn't going anywhere.

It's ultimately better I think to let the player play their part as they see fit, as long as it fits the spirit of the song and is "correct"...as in the right chord, correct key, timing matches the tempo, etc.

Suggestions regarding how much gain, how loud, etc. is different, though that can get testy too.

I think he should be open to the way you choose to play it. If the two of you can't meet at some middle ground, drop the song. I've been there...it happens. If that happens with every song, perhaps it's time to find somebody else to play with .

Quote:
Originally Posted by crank View Post
Moral of the story is that playing nice with others is a lot different than playing on your own or playing along to recordings. There has to be give and take.
^^^ In a nutshell, this.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:46 PM   #5
Lefty Louie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I have found it never works out when giving somebody else very specific direction in how something should be played. I've witnessed near fights break out between other players. In my very early days of playing in a band, I had tried to get the other guitar player to do a rhythm part the way I would have and I eventually let it go because I could tell it wasn't going anywhere.

It's ultimately better I think to let the player play their part as they see fit, as long as it fits the spirit of the song and is "correct"...as in the right chord, correct key, timing matches the tempo, etc.

Suggestions regarding how much gain, how loud, etc. is different, though that can get testy too.

I think he should be open to the way you choose to play it. If the two of you can't meet at some middle ground, drop the song. I've been there...it happens. If that happens with every song, perhaps it's time to find somebody else to play with .

^^^ In a nutshell, this.
I'm open to guidance, or direction, especially being I'm just not that good a player and my ear sucks a bit too. So if someone has input that is genuine I'll always listen and always try it "their way", so long as once tried they are open minded enough to trust that whether or not I go with that direction is my call. I'm also not opposed to allowing a 3rd party make the call.

Thanks for (both) your opinions.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 PM   #6
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

One piece, 2 piece, trio, quartet, 6 piece band, garage full of people......no one will ever play a song exactly the way the original is played. Hell, the original band sometimes didn't even play on the album according to these docs we have all been watching. Live bands rarely play a song the same way at each concert.

You make it work, you alter the arrangements, you do what you have to to make it sound close & pleasing. One thing no one likes is, to be told how to play or that they are "wrong" over & over.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #7
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

That damn Paul told George the same thing and look where it got them!

Just kidding. I would probably not work with a guy like that unless he was a really really good pal of mine.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I can only guess what he is thinking but my guess is that he thinks a little bit like me. If I want to hear a song exactly like the record, I'll listen to the record. Some great musicians have told me that when I play a song, I should make it my own. That doesn't mean I should totally destroy it but I should play it the way I hear it in my head. The best example I can think of is Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Voo Doo Child". Most of us can easily tell which version we are hearing when its played. My favorite example is the difference between Hank Williams "Jambalya" and Jeff Healey's "Jambalaya". When Hank plays it, its a cute song. When Jeff plays it, its smoking.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:30 AM   #9
Lefty Louie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I can only guess what he is thinking but my guess is that he thinks a little bit like me. If I want to hear a song exactly like the record, I'll listen to the record. Some great musicians have told me that when I play a song, I should make it my own. That doesn't mean I should totally destroy it but I should play it the way I hear it in my head. The best example I can think of is Stevie Ray Vaughan's version of "Voo Doo Child". Most of us can easily tell which version we are hearing when its played. My favorite example is the difference between Hank Williams "Jambalya" and Jeff Healey's "Jambalaya". When Hank plays it, its a cute song. When Jeff plays it, its smoking.
When I'm "learning" a song I want to follow the recording until I get it down, once I'm comfortable with the chords, changes and stops then I feel better about spicing things up or "making it my own" as it were.

Thanks again to all.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
When I'm "learning" a song I want to follow the recording until I get it down, once I'm comfortable with the chords, changes and stops then I feel better about spicing things up or "making it my own" as it were.

Thanks again to all.
Hmmmm... It sounds like you're doing it right. I always played the solos in the style of the record but rarely copied them note for note.