Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Orangello06

Orangello06 Just getting started
Default EQ for live acoustic

I have been playing a gig where I have to amp my acoustic guitar and then run the amp through a PA to use their house speakers. My question is: should I even set my bass/mid/treb on the amp, or would it be better to just set it on the PA and leave the amp at nominal? Do they conflict with each other if say the mids are set to a 2 on the amp but a 7 on the PA? Hope that's clear . Thanks
Orangello06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

I would set the EQ on everything to neutral and EQ at the mixer. When I did soundtech for a couple of shows years ago, it was much easier to blend the frequencies at the board rather than have to tweak everything at the amp.

Does your acoustic have a preamp?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:46 PM   #3
crank

crank Just getting started

Can you not use a preamp into PA. That's what I do and I can EQ and have some volume adjustment from the preamp. I have also gone direct into PA but like to have some adjustment available at my playing position.

Guess I don't understand why you need to use an amp to go through PA. Are you micing the amp?
crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:54 PM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Keith is onto one of the best methods. Either send a Flat signal to the Mixing Board, as Keith suggests, and fine tune the sound for the room or set the acoustic's sound the way you want to hear it and then send it to the mixing board and let the sound man touch it up to fit the room. Setting it at the Guitar, then setting it again at the Amp, and then again at the Mixing Board is just going to make a mess.