Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 10:24 PM   #11
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

I honestly was not aware that "pinky curl" was a thing to avoid. Had to google it. I just looked at some video of my guitar playing, and it looks like for the most part (unless it's actually fretting a note) my pinky is curled up. It makes sense why you would want it to be straight, but...I guess I have also developed this bad habit.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:30 PM   #12
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
I honestly was not aware that "pinky curl" was a thing to avoid. Had to google it. I just looked at some video of my guitar playing, and it looks like for the most part (unless it's actually fretting a note) my pinky is curled up. It makes sense why you would want it to be straight, but...I guess I have also developed this bad habit.
I don't think he specified which pinky......I'm curious too.
Smedley's bad habit is that he does NOT curl his pinky. So he IS avoiding the pinky curl.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #13
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I agree with Slimtao on the pinky curling thing. When I was studying with my guitar guru, I asked about right hand technique and he told me to touch the guitar with my pinky and use it as a support and a pivot point. If I was going to do what people today call hybrid picking, I relax my fingers and hover over the strings. Forcing the fingers to make a fist or forcing the fingers to all be outstretched just makes things uncomfortable. I ended up being a hybrid picker and every now and then I'll notice that I'm using my pinky as a pivot point and then sometimes I'll notice that I'm hovering. I think it depends on what I'm playing. When I was teaching, I used to show the students how to hold the pick and tell them to not worry about hitting the wrong string because the picking hand will eventually start finding the proper string all by itself. I would also tell them they could try the pinky pivot thing.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:28 AM   #14
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I agree with Slimtao on the pinky curling thing. When I was studying with my guitar guru, I asked about right hand technique and he told me to touch the guitar with my pinky and use it as a support and a pivot point. If I was going to do what people today call hybrid picking, I relax my fingers and hover over the strings. Forcing the fingers to make a fist or forcing the fingers to all be outstretched just makes things uncomfortable. I ended up being a hybrid picker and every now and then I'll notice that I'm using my pinky as a pivot point and then sometimes I'll notice that I'm hovering. I think it depends on what I'm playing. When I was teaching, I used to show the students how to hold the pick and tell them to not worry about hitting the wrong string because the picking hand will eventually start finding the proper string all by itself. I would also tell them they could try the pinky pivot thing.
I've used my pinky as an anchor- if there's anything to anchor to, or, I can let my hand "float," or anchor the heel of my palm, plus, I'm a hybrid picker.

Making what amounts to a fist only tightens the muscles of your forearm, and often makes someone an "arm picker." I started developing tendonitis in my elbow, when I was at Berklee. Like I said, they ruined me as a player.

You may be able to get away with that kind of grip if you're playing light jazz, but try strumming Pinball Wizard with that kind of grip. Any added tension in either hand/arm, only makes things more difficult.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:34 AM   #15
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
I'm talking about the picking hand. I can't possibly see how this would apply to the fretting hand. You can't NOT curl your pinky while fretting.

Old 02-08-2018, 12:35 AM   #16
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

What makes the most sense is to let your hand & fingers be in a neutral position which would be slightly flexed & relaxed. This would cause the least amount of strain on any of the joints & muscles. This is the position that is aimed for when applying an upper extremity cast-neutral, slightly flexed, & relaxed.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #17
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

My wife says my pinky has just the right amount of curl. Ooopsss. Sorry. This is serious.

Good to see you Smed!
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #18
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

The issue is with my fretting hand. I guess when I use my pinky it straightens out and even bends at the first joint. He wants to see my hand positioned so all my fingers curls over the frets and I don't have my palm too far back. Honestly, my last teacher had the same issue with me. I guess taking time off I went back to my old ways.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM   #19
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I agree with Slimtao
Has anybody noticed Slim's username is now Silimtao, not Slimtao? Perhaps it's his tribute to Coblat .

I had to do a double take...it wouldn't have been the first time I misread something for years .
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #20
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Has anybody noticed Slim's username is now Silimtao, not Slimtao?
It always was.

I misread a new member's name- Cobra, for Coblat, and told him to use the cable from his strat. He doesn't have a strat.