Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #1
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started
Default Checking in

Hey guys,

Just checking in. I haven't been on due to starting my new job the end of Nov.

All is well. Work is very busy. I'm putting in a lot of hours but the companies healthy and making money $$$. No more sleepless nights worried about my company going out of business.

Since Nov...

I got a mini crybaby for Christmas. Not sure how to apply this, but it's a fun toy for now.

I bought a V-pick for $6. it's supposedly indestructible. My guitar store guy who knows me said he wasn't going to let me spend $6 on a pick. My curiosity was too strong. I am recording hours to see if it will in fact breakdown. The funny part is my 13 year old daughter saw me using it and bought me a blue one for Christmas.

Last Saturday I started lessons with a new teacher. He's seems really good. I think every teacher has something unique to offer. Right away he zeroed in on a bad habit I have of not curling my pinky. He's an acoustic guy so we're starting with Norwegian wood. It's a bit different in that this is the first teacher who is coming to my house. He also teaches theory at the local school which I am interested in. He asked me to pick 10 songs to start with. One of them is Deep Elam Blues which he says they play in his band. I can't wait to start on that one.

I also notice politics is toxic as usual and seems to be getting worse. The message out there is we're all supposed to hate each other and view our neighbors as the enemy. All total bullshit.

Anyway. I hope everyone is doing great and moving forward in your pursuit of playing guitar.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #2
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

All good news !!!
Nice to see you stop back in
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #3
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Aloha Smed! Great to hear things are moving along for you. Keep us informed on how it goes with the new instructor!
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:45 PM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Congrats on the job, and the teacher.

I have to take issue with curling your pinky; if you're curling your pinky, I have to assume you're basically making a fist. Feel your forearm muscles this way- they're all tight. Plus, you may elect to be a hybrid picker, and you'll want to have your other fingers loose.

No offense, but sounds like a Berklee player; they were pretty rigid about certain things there. The "fist" pick hold method pretty much ruined me.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:08 AM   #5
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
Hey guys,

Just checking in. I haven't been on due to starting my new job the end of Nov.

All is well. Work is very busy. I'm putting in a lot of hours but the companies healthy and making money $$$. No more sleepless nights worried about my company going out of business.

Since Nov...

I got a mini crybaby for Christmas. Not sure how to apply this, but it's a fun toy for now.

I bought a V-pick for $6. it's supposedly indestructible. My guitar store guy who knows me said he wasn't going to let me spend $6 on a pick. My curiosity was too strong. I am recording hours to see if it will in fact breakdown. The funny part is my 13 year old daughter saw me using it and bought me a blue one for Christmas.

Last Saturday I started lessons with a new teacher. He's seems really good. I think every teacher has something unique to offer. Right away he zeroed in on a bad habit I have of not curling my pinky. He's an acoustic guy so we're starting with Norwegian wood. It's a bit different in that this is the first teacher who is coming to my house. He also teaches theory at the local school which I am interested in. He asked me to pick 10 songs to start with. One of them is Deep Elam Blues which he says they play in his band. I can't wait to start on that one.

I also notice politics is toxic as usual and seems to be getting worse. The message out there is we're all supposed to hate each other and view our neighbors as the enemy. All total bullshit.

Anyway. I hope everyone is doing great and moving forward in your pursuit of playing guitar.

He's NOT curling his pinky.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Smedley Fingers

Smedley Fingers Just getting started Smedley Fingers Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Congrats on the job, and the teacher.

I have to take issue with curling your pinky; if you're curling your pinky, I have to assume you're basically making a fist. Feel your forearm muscles this way- they're all tight. Plus, you may elect to be a hybrid picker, and you'll want to have your other fingers loose.

No offense, but sounds like a Berklee player; they were pretty rigid about certain things there. The "fist" pick hold method pretty much ruined me.
Thanks Slim. Wow, you're right he's a graduate of Berklee. Keep making observations like that and people here will think you're a real guitar player.

I hope all is well in NYC.
Smedley Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:35 PM   #7
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Good to see you Smedley! That's great that you are taking private lessons!

Steady work at a steady company is certainly a good thing too!
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
Thanks Slim. Wow, you're right he's a graduate of Berklee. Keep making observations like that and people here will think you're a real guitar player.

I hope all is well in NYC.
Back atcha.

I'm really curious what you're instructor's take is, if you decide you're a hybrid picker. I still haven't heard a good argument for curling your fingers.

NYC is NYC. I'm sick of the place, to be honest.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #9
AlyKat
Collab Queen

Again, he's NOT curling his fingers.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

>>Last Saturday I started lessons with a new teacher. He's seems really good. I think every teacher has something unique to offer. Right away he zeroed in on a bad habit I have of not curling my pinky.<<