Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 02-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post

BUT, the base of the Rio Grande is too long. It's wedged in really tight in the cavity right now. So, now I have to decide whether to tape the pickup, and just drop them in, or widen the cavity.
Hmm, I'm not sure how "clean" it is going to look if you attack it with a dremel, been there, done that. - You might still end up with pickup rings (I've made my own).

Could you get the RG cover to fit if you thinned them down at the ends? I would do that rather than alter the cavities.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #22
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I intend to go to the hardware store anyway for some painter's tape, alligator clips, and the other stuff I mentioned. If they have a dremel bit, I'll widen the cavity with that. If they don't we'll see how far my OCDism takes me.
I beg of you, if you are going to use a Dremel tool that spent the 30 bucks and get the router attachment. Dremel tools have been known to bubba up many fine objects
Old 02-03-2018, 10:38 PM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
This might sound academic, but make sure you dont put a mounting screw thru the pickup lead wire if you run the lead under the pickup...

(PLEASE dont ask why I say that).

Sincerely yours,
Cap't Obvious.
Ha, I know. Still, I wouldn't assume what's obvious to me, is necessarily obvious to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure how "clean" it is going to look if you attack it with a dremel, been there, done that. - You might still end up with pickup rings (I've made my own).

Could you get the RG cover to fit if you thinned them down at the ends? I would do that rather than alter the cavities.
I didn't get the dremel, for 2 reasons. The hardware store guy said it's not worth it for what I'm doing, and I would have had to buy a kit for $40.

I was able to thin out the neck cavity so that the RG pup fits with the cover. The cavity is deeper than the bridge cavity, and is being held in place by the pressure.

I taped the bridge pup, and just screwed it in. I didn't put in the sponge. If I had tiny wood screws, I'd have used that, to help route the pup wires, which are really thick. The cavity is so shallow, and the RG pup is lots thicker than the stock. If I REALLY want to raise the pup, not too hard to put the sponge in. More than anything else that helped me decide not to thin out the bridge cavity- I can't find spare strings. If I screw up the strings that's on now, I have the swap, with nothing to play.

I got totally confused with the wiring. The stock neck was a white wire, hot; bridge is white, hot. The hots in the control cavity were reverse of the RG's hots, BUT WHERE WERE THE GROUND WIRES I LEFT IN THE CAVITY?? Covered inside, like the RGs, but the wires are lots thinner, so when I stripped the stock wires, that are still soldered, I was also stripping away the ground. I discovered that after after carefully following every wire in the control cavity.

SO, back outside for an old fashioned razor. I don't have anything thin enough to cut the sheathing on the wires I left in the cavity.

Guess there's a reason to have all the hardware out for stuff like this, but I'd have had an easier time, if I simply wrote things down. I thought I took enough pics to be self explanatory, but I obviously didn't.

Random pics. It's really a matter of meshing the the hots and grounds now. I didn't want to cut any of the pickup wires until I was sure what went where. Jesus, I have a headache.

Taped bridge pup:

I'm glad I got alligator clips. That pickup hot, is connected to the wrong wire.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #24
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

That looks OK. I used ordinary electrical tape for that kind of thing, and stretch it fairly tight, but I put a generous smear of superglue on the end to stop it from lifting. Since it is in the bridge position, I don't think that the coils are in any danger, but you could wind it with black string as they do on trad tele pickups. That might look classy too.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #25
Tony Done

That looks OK. I used ordinary electrical tape for that kind of thing, and stretch it fairly tight, but I put a generous smear of superglue on the end to stop it from lifting. Since it is in the bridge position, I don't think that the coils are in any danger, but you could wind it with black string as they do on trad tele pickups. That might look classy too.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:45 AM   #26
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
...but I put a generous smear of superglue on the end to stop it from lifting.
I'd be very careful with superglue around pickup coil wires, Tony. That stuff is pretty toxic. (Ever smell the vapors or have them burn your eyes?)
Superglue can degrade certain kinds of plastics, and I wouldnt hold out much hope for the insulation on coil wire.
Maybe leaving approx 1/4" of the end of the tape up, carefully putting a light wipe of contact cement on the "exterior" of the tape, where the last 1/4" of tape will lay, and set the last 1/4" of tape down when the contact cement is dry might be safer. The tape definitely wont come up with that, and contact cement isnt as nasty as superglue. The insulation on coil wire is really susceptible to anything that might degrade it.

I ruined a humbucker simply by having it near muriatic acid I was aging some nickel parts with. I noticed the slugs, screws and baseplate of the p/up were starting to oxidize (I wasnt aging the pickup, btw, it got affected just by the vapors).

I removed the pickup from where I was working and checked it on a volt meter... gone, goodbye. It had shorted out. This was a pickup that I knew to be ok prior to this incident. Superglue and its vapor is pretty nasty shit as well.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:23 AM   #27
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Regarding string savers, painters tape works well for that too. I had to take the neck off of my Danelectro to adjust the truss rod.

The strings pop right out of the bridge and I just put some painters tape around the end of the neck so that the strings wouldn't get all tangled.

It would work just as well for moving the strings out of the way I would think.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 AM   #28
Tony Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
I'd be very careful with superglue around pickup coil wires, Tony. That stuff is pretty toxic. (Ever smell the vapors or have them burn your eyes?)
Superglue can degrade certain kinds of plastics, and I wouldnt hold out much hope for the insulation on coil wire.
Maybe leaving approx 1/4" of the end of the tape up, carefully putting a light wipe of contact cement on the "exterior" of the tape, where the last 1/4" of tape will lay, and set the last 1/4" of tape down when the contact cement is dry might be safer. The tape definitely wont come up with that, and contact cement isnt as nasty as superglue. The insulation on coil wire is really susceptible to anything that might degrade it.

I ruined a humbucker simply by having it near muriatic acid I was aging some nickel parts with. I noticed the slugs, screws and baseplate of the p/up were starting to oxidize (I wasnt aging the pickup, btw, it got affected just by the vapors).

I removed the pickup from where I was working and checked it on a volt meter... gone, goodbye. It had shorted out. This was a pickup that I knew to be ok prior to this incident. Superglue and its vapor is pretty nasty shit as well.
It's certainly true that superglue will attack certain kinds of plastic, which is why it works so well on acrylic. It welds rather than glues it. I agree that care is needed, but I haven't had a problem so far, except with fumes when doing big jobs with it. Next time I do one, I might try the black string method. I've got a load of black embroidery cotton lying around
Old 02-04-2018, 03:33 AM   #29
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Regarding string savers, painters tape works well for that too. I had to take the neck off of my Danelectro to adjust the truss rod.

The strings pop right out of the bridge and I just put some painters tape around the end of the neck so that the strings wouldn't get all tangled.

It would work just as well for moving the strings out of the way I would think.
I think my Jazzmaster had the truss at the heel of the neck. I slightly loosened the strings and popped the neck up. The string spreaders work well, if you want to open a big gap for what I was doing. I've done it without, but this worked better.

Well, everything's wired up, and the pups sound great. I think I'll have to resolder- my tips got dirty, and I'm hearing some hum. The one strand of wire I was soldering to was a real bitch to work with, but I got it done for now. But I gotta clean up the wiring.

Definitely a lot hotter pickups. Thanks, Fill!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:35 AM   #30
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Great! Sound clips please!
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote