Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 02-03-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Looking good slim! I concur with the dremel.

I got the Gibson Dirty Fingers clone bridge and I thought of waiting til I change strings. You gave me an idea to just save them the way you did.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
The easiest way to get a clean route would be to pencil trace the pickup cover on the body, clamp a piece of wood or metal (even a ruler would work) down to the guitar body to act as a router guide, and use a Dremel bit with a cutting head that is the same diameter as the bit shaft. If the cutting head is the same diameter as the bit shaft, it wont make a cut "horizontally deeper" than whatever you use as a guide thats clamped to the body. [/IMG]
Oh, I understand better now what you're saying. Thing is, the pickups aren't that much bigger, and I think the rounded edges of the cavities are what's preventing me from simply dropping the Rio Grandes in.

I'm gonna see if they have a dremel bit. I have a metal ruler to act as a guide.

While I'm at the hardware store, I'm gonna get some painter's tape to mask off the neck to clean up the fret edges, get some alligator clips for the wiring, and maybe those tiny metal rings you mentioned in another thread for soldering wires too- if you didn't mention it, this'll be a cockeyed McGiver solution for the really fine ground wires already soldered. I want to limit the amount of soldering I do.

What I thought was going to be a simple pup swap is turning into a plan to build Noah's Ark. I feel capable of doing this stuff, but can't say I enjoy it, but I'll enjoy the end results. I coulda stayed in bed longer, but now I'm on a mission. Can't wait until I hear the Rio Grandes! Maybe I'll eat first.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Looking good slim! I concur with the dremel.

I got the Gibson Dirty Fingers clone bridge and I thought of waiting til I change strings. You gave me an idea to just save them the way you did.
I was thinking of using something like dental floss to tie the strings out of the way, but I was sure some genius thought of this before me. I had to order something anyway, so I got these from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Rubber-Coated...tring+spreader

Old 02-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Thing is, the pickups aren't that much bigger, and I think the rounded edges of the cavities are what's preventing me from simply dropping the Rio Grandes in.
Slim, if you havent done it already, its totally worth a try to see if the stock covers from the Epi P90's fit on the Rio's... if they do, its simply the Rio covers that are bigger, and if they DO fit, (assuming luck is on your side in this case) the Rio's will literally drop right in the guitar.

Certainly worth a shot.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:33 PM   #15
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Slim, if you havent done it already, its totally worth a try to see if the stock covers from the Epi P90's fit on the Rio's... if they do, its simply the Rio covers that are bigger, and if they DO fit, (assuming luck is on your side in this case) the Rio's will literally drop right in the guitar.

Certainly worth a shot.
Ya know, I literally just thought of that (while using a regular drill bit to widen the cavity lol).

I can't get the stock covers off; they're stuck somehow. But the Rio Grande covers come off. There's no reason why I can't simply mount them w/out covers is there?

The idea hit me when I was brushing out the sawdust into my kitchen sink...

Old 02-03-2018, 04:41 PM   #16
St.Fill

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
There's no reason why I can't simply mount them w/out covers is there?
Well, the stock covers will prevent the pickup windings from getting struck with anything. Personally, I wouldnt mount them without covers, but there is certainly no reason that it cant be done. If you did do that, I'd be inclined to (CAREFULLY) give the p/u's an extra wrap of tape just as added insurance against them taking a hit.

If you're already on your way with routing, I'd keep it safe and get the p/u's to fit with their covers.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:54 PM   #17
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Any plans to copper shield while they're out?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #18
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Well, the stock covers will prevent the pickup windings from getting struck with anything. Personally, I wouldnt mount them without covers, but there is certainly no reason that it cant be done. If you did do that, I'd be inclined to (CAREFULLY) give the p/u's an extra wrap of tape just as added insurance against them taking a hit.

If you're already on your way with routing, I'd keep it safe and get the p/u's to fit with their covers.
Whew, I did it. I had to push really hard on the screwheads to force it out of the stock covers. <--stock cover over the Rio Grande.

BUT, the base of the Rio Grande is too long. It's wedged in really tight in the cavity right now. So, now I have to decide whether to tape the pickup, and just drop them in, or widen the cavity.

I intend to go to the hardware store anyway for some painter's tape, alligator clips, and the other stuff I mentioned. If they have a dremel bit, I'll widen the cavity with that. If they don't we'll see how far my OCDism takes me.

QUESTION: orientation of the pickup doesn't matter, right? I'm used to staggered single coils, where it does. I don't see how that would apply to p-90s, but there may be something I don't know.

I would normally orient the pup with the wire closest to the hole leading to the controls, but it pulls back on the solder. If I turn it 180, it's a smooth line, and no tug on the pup's wiring.

I feel like I'm performing dentistry.

Old 02-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #19
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Any plans to copper shield while they're out?
Hell no. It's enough that I'm doing this. I've had 2 root canals, and a trip to an oral surgeon this week, and I have a splitting headache.

The pups Fill gave me are RWRP I think, so I don't anticipate any/much noise. Plus, if I have to put this off to get shielding, I lose my mind.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM   #20
St.Fill

Quote:
QUESTION: orientation of the pickup doesn't matter, right? I'm used to staggered single coils, where it does. I don't see how that would apply to p-90s, but there may be something I don't know.

I would normally orient the pup with the wire closest to the hole leading to the controls, but it pulls back on the solder. If I turn it 180, it's a smooth line, and no tug on the pup's wiring.
Nope, with P90's, the orientation of the p/up doesnt matter. I'd do the same thing as you're suggesting, make the wire run straight, and not stress anything, even if the wire runs under the pickup.

I would try to route the wire around (and not under) the piece of foam that serves as your height adjustment "spring", if you're able to do that. If you wedge the wire under that foam, I could see it yanking on where the wire is secured to the pickup if you tried raising the pickup height in the route.

This might sound academic, but make sure you dont put a mounting screw thru the pickup lead wire if you run the lead under the pickup...

(PLEASE dont ask why I say that).

Sincerely yours,
Cap't Obvious.