Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 AM   #1
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life
Default Need To Route The Pup Cavities a Hair On LP

Decided to do the pup swap with the Rio Grandes Fill gave me tonight, but the cavities are slightly rounded in the corners, and the width may have to be widened up to 1/8" .

Suggestions on how to do this? I can probably get heavy grit sandpaper tomorrow- best bet? That can seem labor intensive.

I have a power drill, but not the attachment for sanding. There's a mom and pop hardware store near me, but not sure how well stocked they are. If I can get the sander bit, think that's a better bet? I tend to doubt they'd have this in stock, but I'm examining my options.

If I had a wood chisel, I'd give each corner a tap.

Here's some random pics. I'm going the easy way because the control cavity is tight. I intend to joint the hot/grounds to the already soldered hot/grounds. Think if I soldered the 2 wires together (hot from pup, to hot that's already soldered, and ground to ground) then putting shrink tubing around them will do?

The string spreaders I got are handy. I hate wasting strings.

The Rio Grande bridge pup. I think it's really a matter of a few millimeters in each corner. I may be able to square them off with the fret files I have.

I'm surprised how much wire seems to be wasted. I'm avoiding soldering because it's tight, and deep (that's what she said).

The mounting screws line up perfectly with the Rio Grandes, so it's really a matter of screwing them in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

If the issue is that the corners are too rounded then I don't think a sanding attachment for your drill is the way to go as that would round things even more.

I'd just go and buy a thin chisel I think.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:05 AM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I may just hack away with a regular screwdriver.

Good thing I don't care a whole lot about the body of this guitar.

Hmm...I may be able to use the ends of the string spreaders to square off the corners.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I may just hack away with a regular screwdriver.

Good thing I don't care a whole lot about the body of this guitar.

Hmm...I may be able to use the ends of the string spreaders to square off the corners.
If you have one cheap screwdriver that you don't care about, use a file and sharpen the blade of the screwdriver to, in effect, make it a chisel.

When you are through you can smooth things out, if necessary, with an emery board or a metal nail file wrapped with sandpaper.

I love it when a plan comes together! I've gone the McGiver route more than once!
Old 02-03-2018, 06:24 AM   #5
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
If you have one cheap screwdriver that you don't care about, use a file and sharpen the blade of the screwdriver to, in effect, make it a chisel.

When you are through you can smooth things out, if necessary, with an emery board or a metal nail file wrapped with sandpaper.

I love it when a plan comes together! I've gone the McGiver route more than once!
I may use the tip of the flat fret file as a chisel. It's not beveled, but it just may do the trick. It doesn't have to look pretty. If there's any raw wood exposed, I'll use a black magic marker, and just trace around the pickups, haha. It'll lend to the charm of the whole thing. I like how simple the whole thing looks, and glad I didn't go for a 4 knobber.

If it weren't so late, I'd do it now.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I would go with the sharpened screwdriver as suggested by Seattle, at least you should be able to get it passably sharp.

You could treat yourself to some pickup rings to hide any rough work, eg:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Hu...CK_p_1486.html
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I may use the tip of the flat fret file as a chisel. It's not beveled, but it just may do the trick. It doesn't have to look pretty. If there's any raw wood exposed, I'll use a black magic marker, and just trace around the pickups, haha. It'll lend to the charm of the whole thing. I like how simple the whole thing looks, and glad I didn't go for a 4 knobber.

If it weren't so late, I'd do it now.
Man, go upscale! If you need to touch-up around the pickup don't use Magic Marker! Use black nail polish!
Old 02-03-2018, 02:46 PM   #8
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

The easiest way to get a clean route would be to pencil trace the pickup cover on the body, clamp a piece of wood or metal (even a ruler would work) down to the guitar body to act as a router guide, and use a Dremel bit with a cutting head that is the same diameter as the bit shaft. If the cutting head is the same diameter as the bit shaft, it wont make a cut "horizontally deeper" than whatever you use as a guide thats clamped to the body.

It DOES help to have a router base for the Dremel tool, but its not absolutely necessary. With the minimal amount that needs to be routed, if you work slowly and carefully, it'll come out fine.

A bit like this will work great, and the corners will come out nice:

Of course, you COULD go full barbarian, hack the shit out of the guitar, secure the pickups to a couple of dog ear P90 covers with thin screws and nuts, and never shall we see the hacking underneath again.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
I would go with the sharpened screwdriver as suggested by Seattle, at least you should be able to get it passably sharp.

You could treat yourself to some pickup rings to hide any rough work, eg:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Mini-Hu...CK_p_1486.html
Luckily, the mom & pop hardware store about 1/4 mile away from me has a 1/2" wood chisel for $6. I'd probably do better with a 1/4".

If a few taps of the chisel doesn't work, I may just use a thin drill bit to shave the cavity.

I'd prefer not to use rings, plus, the neck pickup is almost flush with the bottom of the neck. I like the "clean" look of the guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Man, go upscale! If you need to touch-up around the pickup don't use Magic Marker! Use black nail polish!
Just because you like turning your guitars into an arts and crafts project, don't try to talk me into it. I just hope I don't butcher the cavity.

For the helluva it, I may change the knobs to something like: https://www.amazon.com/2-pack-Potent...d+guitar+knobs

But I have to get the pups in. It's 20 degrees out. FML.

Old 02-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
The easiest way to get a clean route would be to pencil trace the pickup cover on the body, clamp a piece of wood or metal (even a ruler would work) down to the guitar body to act as a router guide, and use a Dremel bit with a cutting head that is the same diameter as the bit shaft. If the cutting head is the same diameter as the bit shaft, it wont make a cut "horizontally deeper" than whatever you use as a guide thats clamped to the body.

It DOES help to have a router base for the Dremel tool, but its not absolutely necessary. With the minimal amount that needs to be routed, if you work slowly and carefully, it'll come out fine.

A bit like this will work great, and the corners will come out nice:

Of course, you COULD go full barbarian, hack the shit out of the guitar, secure the pickups to a couple of dog ear P90 covers with thin screws and nuts, and never shall we see the hacking underneath again.

Heya Fill. Well, I don't want to wait, and the neck cavity is too close to the neck for a ring which I don't want anyway. I may buy a dremel bit too, as I think that's the quickest way to get rid of a few mm of wood (ideally). I don't have a clamp, and I'm not gonna buy one.

It's 20 degrees out, and the wind has been brutal!

I need a bigger toolbox, that's for sure.