Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #1
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia
Default I saw the oddest of things this morning at the bank

I go to the bank this morning to make a hefty CC payment as my tax return has already arrived, yeah, I do it as early as I can. Anyway, I'm in line, I'm next and getting served by the teller is a known homeless woman in town.

She is disheveled, a bit stoned, and was getting her SS or something, I thought. The teller counts out 5 thousand dollars to her, and she puts it in an open and unsealed business envelope and concludes her business.

I get up there, make my payment and am out quickly. By the time I get outside, she is pushing her cart across the street with the open envelope in her hand. She stops at the same place I do when I want coffee, gets a giant fountain drink, some cigs and leaves. The envelope lays on the counter, money showing, she don't care.

My guard meets me there as we get coffee everyday there, and I tell him about it. "Everyone knows she's rich and from a wealthy east coast family" he says.

Sometimes I cannot figure out folks that could do so much better but don't. Mental illness is my only guess. But it was interesting if nothing else.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #2
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
Sometimes I cannot figure out folks that could do so much better but don't. Mental illness is my only guess. But it was interesting if nothing else.
Do better, according to whose terms?

There was a pretty well known case here. There was a homeless guy, lived in the park, made money from returning bottles/cans, often shouted out things about current events and history (and was very accurate, btw).

His family took out a petition- what's called an Alleged Incapacitated Person petition- to have the court rule him mentally ill enough to have a guardian appointed- essentially, a surrogate to make life decisions for him. Clearly, anyone who chooses to live on the streets is crazy, right? Who would give up the comfort of shelter from the elements, having a fridge to hold your food when you're hungry, or even a bathroom for when you want to take a dump in peace?

His family's lawyer argued that anyone who gave up the comforts everyone is used to, must surely be mentally ill.

The homeless guy's attorney argued, freely choosing to live in the streets is not a crime, the man wasn't a danger to himself or others, and who gets to choose what is "normal," under these circumstance?

The court ruled against the petitioning family, and said, in essence, that the court is in no position to (and had no authority) to decide what is "normal," especially, since no harm was imminent to the man himself, or society at large. The man received no government subsidies, so, wasn't a burden on society. Choosing to live on the streets is no measure for "normalcy."

I'd say this guy is saner, and less a burden on society than many who hold down "normal" jobs, and living in "traditional" housing.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:50 PM   #3
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

I know somebody like this. Very long story and I have a lot of work to do. So I'll chime in later if I stumble upon this thread again.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #4
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

I think the point is having a degree of wealth and not living in a secure manner with a societal norm of creature comforts leads some to suspect some level of mental illness.

I myself find it odd myself, odd in the fact that more don't do it, meaning not normal. Does that make it a crime, no, does that mean she's nuts, no, just unusual or odd.

I can easily see myself dropping out so to speak at some point when I get older, the stress of all the advancements is hard for older folks to keep up with. I can easily see me moving to a small town maybe even a 2nd world country like Mexico and living a comfortable life in a quaint little town there. No stress, no muss, no fuss. It's one reason adult communities do so well.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 PM   #5
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
I go to the bank this morning to make a hefty CC payment as my tax return has already arrived, yeah, I do it as early as I can. Anyway, I'm in line, I'm next and getting served by the teller is a known homeless woman in town.

She is disheveled, a bit stoned, and was getting her SS or something, I thought. The teller counts out 5 thousand dollars to her, and she puts it in an open and unsealed business envelope and concludes her business.

I get up there, make my payment and am out quickly. By the time I get outside, she is pushing her cart across the street with the open envelope in her hand. She stops at the same place I do when I want coffee, gets a giant fountain drink, some cigs and leaves. The envelope lays on the counter, money showing, she don't care.

My guard meets me there as we get coffee everyday there, and I tell him about it. "Everyone knows she's rich and from a wealthy east coast family" he says.

You have a guard? Why make credit card payments at the bank when you can do it online? In her case, I'd guess mental illness as well.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #6
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

We've got a few around here too. It is sad to see.
Big John is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:44 AM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
You have a guard? Why make credit card payments at the bank when you can do it online? In her case, I'd guess mental illness as well.
Golf clap.... NO, he's the security guard at the building I am the manager of....and cause the bank is 50 ft away....
Old 02-03-2018, 01:47 AM   #8
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Golf clap.... NO, he's the security guard at the building I am the manager of....and cause the bank is 50 ft away....
Aw shucks, I thought you had a body guard too!

I would guess most of the homeless are mentally ill. In the state of MI when they closed up all the mental heath hospitals the homeless population skyrocketed.
Old 02-03-2018, 04:21 AM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

She is probably happier than most people.

I have not set foot in a bank for a long long time.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #10
Jusca

Jusca Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Do better, according to whose terms?

There was a pretty well known case here. There was a homeless guy, lived in the park, made money from returning bottles/cans, often shouted out things about current events and history (and was very accurate, btw).

His family took out a petition- what's called an Alleged Incapacitated Person petition- to have the court rule him mentally ill enough to have a guardian appointed- essentially, a surrogate to make life decisions for him. Clearly, anyone who chooses to live on the streets is crazy, right? Who would give up the comfort of shelter from the elements, having a fridge to hold your food when you're hungry, or even a bathroom for when you want to take a dump in peace?

His family's lawyer argued that anyone who gave up the comforts everyone is used to, must surely be mentally ill.

The homeless guy's attorney argued, freely choosing to live in the streets is not a crime, the man wasn't a danger to himself or others, and who gets to choose what is "normal," under these circumstance?

The court ruled against the petitioning family, and said, in essence, that the court is in no position to (and had no authority) to decide what is "normal," especially, since no harm was imminent to the man himself, or society at large. The man received no government subsidies, so, wasn't a burden on society. Choosing to live on the streets is no measure for "normalcy."

I'd say this guy is saner, and less a burden on society than many who hold down "normal" jobs, and living in "traditional" housing.

+1! Don't meddle in someone else's lifestyle because it's different from your own.
Jusca is offline   Reply With Quote