Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 01-31-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
fr0sty

fr0sty Just getting started
Default Squier Mustang Upgrades

*** Re-posting here. I hope this is the correct forum ***

Hi all.

I picked up a sweet looking Squier Mustang for about $200 new (couldn't pass it up). It looks great and plays ok but you can tell the hardware, etc. is cheap.

Any suggestions on replacing the bridge (it rattles a little bit) and the tuners? I'm not gigging with it but it's fun to jam with some locals from time to time so I don't want to dump a lot of money in it.

Anyone know the type of pickups in it by default? They say "Duncan Designed" but I doubt they're true Seymours.

Thanks for any and all suggestions. This will be my "tinkering" project.
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr0sty View Post
I picked up a sweet looking Squier Mustang for about $200 new (couldn't pass it up). It looks great and plays ok but you can tell the hardware, etc. is cheap.

Any suggestions on replacing the bridge (it rattles a little bit) and the tuners? I'm not gigging with it but it's fun to jam with some locals from time to time so I don't want to dump a lot of money in it.

Anyone know the type of pickups in it by default? They say "Duncan Designed" but I doubt they're true Seymours.
From what I can see in a Google search, a Squire Mustang comes in a few different configurations... trem or hardtail with either single coil pickups or humbuckers.

Im gonna assume you have a hardtail with humbuckers(?)

If so, upgrading that guitar is gonna run a fairly close parallel to your budget.
Your stock pickups are exactly what they are labeled... Duncan DESIGNED, but likely mfg'd offshore.

A new set of GFS pickups will sound nice, and not break the bank. A set of DiMarzio or Duncan humbuckers will likely sound a bit better than GFS pickups, and be somewhat more expensive than GFS's.

A set of "boutique" pickups (Fralin's, Wolfetone's, Wagner's, Lollar's, etc) will definitely sound superior to GFS or Duncan pickups, but they will also cost some money. Whether thats "worth it" to you comes down to your budget.

I feel the same about hardware. To me, hardware and electronics are not the place to save a few bucks, simply because excellent hardware and electronics are not all that expensive. You said that the hardware appears "cheap", but you dont wanna dump a lot of money into it... this all hinges on what "a lot of money" is.

A Hipshot hardtail bridge will set you back between $50-$60. Hipshot bridges are excellent. A Schaller roller hardtail bridge is also an excellent bridge, and is about $65 thru Stewart MacDonald (http://www.stewmac.com/)
IMO, its worth spending $55 on a great bridge as opposed to $30 on a bridge that might not even be better than the one you'd be removing.

Same with tuners (if you're gonna replace them). A nice set of Gotoh tuners will set you back around $45. A set of Grovers or Sperzels will be around $65. I'd MUCH rather spend that once than spend $30 and still be battling tuning issues due to a cheaply made tuner.

Anyway, again, this is all under the assumption that you've got a hardtail with humbuckers. If you can define your budget, verify what your guitar currently has for hardware and pickups, AND (very importantly) define what you want your guitar to be in terms of its tone, it will be much easier to give a solid recommendation as to which way to go with your project.