Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 08:11 PM   #11
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I pretty much only read for entertainment, but I read a lot. Sci-fi and fantasy only. If it could happen in this world, I'll just turn on the news and see it there, or go down to the mall and watch it unfold. Currently have 4 books going, the best of which is book 3 of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings series.
I read a lot of Sci-Fi but not much fantasy. I keep hearing good things about Brandon Sanderson but I've never read anything from him. What's a good place to start reading his stuff?
Old 01-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #12
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

The only thing I read anymore is reference materials, the last book I got was given to me by Jim Supica. An autographed copy of his Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson 4th Edition.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:38 PM   #13
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I am presently revisiting Brian Lumley and his Necroscope series. Fluff for sure, but mighty dark fluff...
Old 01-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #14
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Going to a good old fashion literary works burning tonight.

I've never read a literary work in my lif3.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:17 PM   #15
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I read a lot of Sci-Fi but not much fantasy. I keep hearing good things about Brandon Sanderson but I've never read anything from him. What's a good place to start reading his stuff?
If you want to dip your toe into a standalone, Elantris is good. If you want to start with an excellent trilogy, Mistborn is good. If you want to go all in, The Way of Kings is phenomenal.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:39 AM   #16
swedeam
hello hooray

swedeam Just getting started

the compete chronicalles of conan by Robert e. howard
Old 01-30-2018, 01:39 AM   #17
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiholly View Post
Going to a good old fashion literary works burning tonight.

I've never read a literary work in my lif3.
You have to buy them before you burn them, either way you are supporting literature
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:20 AM   #18
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

Me, zero no real books
Old 01-31-2018, 05:06 AM   #19
spacedog
mere mortal

spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls

I've been plugging away at "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn for a few months now. I like it, but it's slow going because whenever I feel the need to get political or historical I just think 'well, I might as well do my school readings, then.'

I also decided to give poetry another shot, for the first time in a few years—read a collection of Langston Hughes, and took out some Emily Dickinson and Dorothy Livesay as well. There was some stuff I liked, but overall I'm back at the verdict that I'm just not a poetry person.

Some other fairly recent ones (going back to the summer) were:
- "A Gate at the Stairs" by Lorrie Moore: Love her short stories, but this was the first novel of hers I've read and I wasn't wild about it.
- "My Absolute Darling" by Gabriel Tallent: Very fucked up story, and not for the faint of heart—but mostly well done. One of those ones that is going to stay in my brain for a long time.
- Ex Machina series by Brian K Vaughan: Did not care for it. He's definitely become a better writer as time has gone on. I loved Y: The Last Man and am also digging Paper Girls so far.
- "Vacationland" by John Hodgman: Kind of hit and miss, but it's a light and mostly pretty funny read.
- "Lucky Jim" by Kingsley Amis: Not my thing.
- "Lincoln in the Bardo" by George Saunders: Loved it. Best book I've read in a while.
- "The Luminaries" by Eleanor Catton: An excellent mystery novel, but it's a long one (over 800 pages). It probably could have trimmed a bit of fat, but it was still a good read.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
watson503
Up The Irons !!!

watson503 Just getting started watson503 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedeam View Post
the compete chronicalles of conan by Robert e. howard
I love the old Conan novels by Howard, those books really stood-out to me as a young kid in the 70s with the cover art by Frank Frazetta. Robert Jordan also wrote some pretty decent Conan novels in the 80s that are worth checking-out if you're a fan.
watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote