Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #1
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started
Default What Literary Works/Books Are You Reading

I'm a big time reader, and recently I've run out of recommendations. If you haven't noticed by my name already, I like to peruse scholarly pursuits. One of those is reading books, poems, essays and anything I can get my hands on, even if it's not that good. I like smaller writers and independently published stuff as I don't like the mass printed authors of the day (it's cookie cutter writing).

I've read almost all of the American classics. Truman Capote in Cold Blood and Other Voices, Other Rooms. Thomas Wolfe Look Homeward Angel, F. Scott Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night. Catch 22. War of the Worlds.

My friend is a self published author (there's a reason he's self published) and I read The Forgotten Figure by Stanley Walker one night because it was all I had in a hospital waiting room, and it beat staring at the wall....

I enjoy the political line of books by Darcy Richardson. He is a third party activist and sometimes candidate for office. He is a political historian, and does a lot of good non-fiction writing.

As for the last book I've read, I read Pandora's Box by Wesley Brian Williams. It was a decent book for a first time author, and had good character development.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

"Embracing The Wide Sky" Daniel Tammet.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:12 PM   #3
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Since Valentine's day is just around the corner, how bout the 50 Shades series
Even scholars have to have some fun occasionally
Old 01-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #4
stantheman

stantheman Just getting started

The biography of U.S. Grant by Ron Chernow. The parts about the Civil War, are pretty familiar, but the really interesting part is the politics and conflicts when he was elected president.
stantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #5
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
Since Valentine's day is just around the corner, how bout the 50 Shades series
Even scholars have to have some fun occasionally
The problem is, I've read better smut.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScholar View Post
The problem is, I've read better smut.
Is that code for, you have already read the series?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:53 PM   #7
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

I pretty much only read for entertainment, but I read a lot. Sci-fi and fantasy only. If it could happen in this world, I'll just turn on the news and see it there, or go down to the mall and watch it unfold. Currently have 4 books going, the best of which is book 3 of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings series.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:17 PM   #8
watson503
Up The Irons !!!

watson503 Just getting started watson503 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I pretty much only read for entertainment, but I read a lot. Sci-fi and fantasy only. If it could happen in this world, I'll just turn on the news and see it there, or go down to the mall and watch it unfold. Currently have 4 books going, the best of which is book 3 of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings series.
I really need to read more of Sanderson's work, I really dug the way he wrapped-up Jordan's The Wheel of Time saga after Jordan's death.

At the moment I'm in between books and waiting on Runnin' With The Devil to get here from Amazon - should be here today - as the title suggests, it is a Van Halen bio. I just finished The Show That Never Ends:The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock.
watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #9
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson503 View Post
I really need to read more of Sanderson's work, I really dug the way he wrapped-up Jordan's The Wheel of Time saga after Jordan's death.

At the moment I'm in between books and waiting on Runnin' With The Devil to get here from Amazon - should be here today - as the title suggests, it is a Van Halen bio. I just finished The Show That Never Ends:The Rise and Fall of Prog Rock.
The Way of Kings is pretty epic, and is the main storyline that many of his other series tie into.

I'm curious about the Rise and Fall of Prog Rock, as that's the Rock I most relate to. I'll have to look that one up on Amazon.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I just read the instruction manual for my new Geiger counter. Does that count?