Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-27-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Sojourner66

Sojourner66 Just getting started
Default The Flu

This story is shocking as I don't remember hearing about as many deaths from the flu as there were this year. In the article only one of the victims was said not to have gotten a flu shot. Young kids, adults in great health, all succumb Did you get one?

Flu deaths prompt warnings from victims' families as outbreak continues | Fox News
Old 01-27-2018, 05:41 PM   #2
Jimorr

Jimorr Just getting started

Nope. Never had a flu shot......seriously, I think they do more harm than good. JMO
Old 01-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #3
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

I was in the military for a while and we were forced to get flu shots and every year I would get viral upper respiratory infections that usually led to bronchitis. Can't correlate it to the flu shot itself but it didn't seem to help.
Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #4
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

In Oregon two young mothers in great health died and I read about a 12 year old boy who was also in good health and died. I normally get a shot but this year I did not until yesterday. I have never had a bad reaction or felt anything from a flu shot.

Even though I sell tin foil hats though, I do not wear one.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:20 PM   #5
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

I don't get them anymore. The worst case of the flu I ever had, was a couple weeks after a flu shot. What I read, was that the flu shot doesn't give you the flu, but your body while adapting to the shot, has it's immune system on full swing, it 'thinks' you have the flu so it's building antibodies and such, since this compromises your immune system, if you do come into contact with a different strain during that time, you can a much higher chance of getting it since your immune system is all 'worn down' from adapting to the flu shot. Not sure if that's true, but it makes sense.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm guessing that you have the same virus that went through Oz last winter. I think it has been called "Australian" flu, which isn't really fair, since it didn't originate here, we just happened to cop it before you. I had the vaccination, but they got it wrong and we had some deaths here. A friend of ours was rushed to hospital with pneumonia resulting from flu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
I don't get them anymore. The worst case of the flu I ever had, was a couple weeks after a flu shot. What I read, was that the flu shot doesn't give you the flu, but your body while adapting to the shot, has it's immune system on full swing, it 'thinks' you have the flu so it's building antibodies and such, since this compromises your immune system, if you do come into contact with a different strain during that time, you can a much higher chance of getting it since your immune system is all 'worn down' from adapting to the flu shot. Not sure if that's true, but it makes sense.
Hmm. I would like to see a credible reference to a vaccination "challenge" making your immune system "tired'. I would have thought that the opposite is a far greater danger. - If your immune system isn't challenged, it gets lazy. This could account at least in part for all the immune system problems we see these days.

Last edited by Tony Done; 01-28-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:27 PM   #7
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

The problem this year is there are 3 strains of flu doing the rounds. The vaccine only protects against the two milder variants, but does nothing for the viscous variant that has killed some people.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

We're having the normal flu hysteria news we have every year. I'm not saying to not get the flu shot, if you can tolerate them.

But, it's only 30% effective. Would you get married, jump out of an airplane, or fly in one, if you knew you only had a 30% success rate?

I've gotten the flu shot maybe twice in 30 years, gotten deathly ill from it, and had the actual flu maybe once in that whole time.

I wash my hands frequently, and don't touch my face or eyes unnecessarily.

I don't think either of my kids have ever had the flu. They used to get shots when they were kids (no side effects), buy now elect to not get the shot.

Don't let the hype get to you. Flu deaths are actually down this year- so far. Get the shot if you have a compromised immune system. Make an informed decision.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #9
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
We're having the normal flu hysteria news we have every year. I'm not saying to not get the flu shot, if you can tolerate them.

But, it's only 30% effective. Would you get married, jump out of an airplane, or fly in one, if you knew you only had a 30% success rate?

I've gotten the flu shot maybe twice in 30 years, gotten deathly ill from it, and had the actual flu maybe once in that whole time.

I wash my hands frequently, and don't touch my face or eyes unnecessarily.

I don't think either of my kids have ever had the flu. They used to get shots when they were kids (no side effects), buy now elect to not get the shot.

Don't let the hype get to you. Flu deaths are actually down this year- so far. Get the shot if you have a compromised immune system. Make an informed decision.

Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 11:21 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
Wrong forum. That's supposed to go in the Show Your Mug forum.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote