Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 01-25-2018, 09:21 PM   #1
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started
Default My strings are not lasting very long...

This set literally barely took me through a week...I mean usually its around 2 or 3 weeks, but man, this is gonna get expensive! I guess my hand sweat is really corrosive or something. What can I do? I guess I could go back to coated strings like elixir but im not entirely sold on them. How long do your strings last?

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

What type and gauge of strings are we talking about here? Do you wipe them down after each session?

I change string about once a month, but more often if I am doing loads of studio work.

I clean my strings with lint free cloth that has been pre-soaked in IPA and allowed to dry.
Old 01-25-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Morfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
What type and gauge of strings are we talking about here? Do you wipe them down after each session?

I change string about once a month, but more often if I am doing loads of studio work.

I clean my strings with lint free cloth that has been pre-soaked in IPA and allowed to dry.
This set was Ernie Ball Regular slinky 10s. I probably need to remember to wipe them down after each session. I dont always do it I also think it might have to do with how hard im playing these days. Im giving them a good thrashing hehe.

I think when I use the D'Addario NYXL they last a bit longer.

Also where do you buy your strings? So far ive been buying them at the local shop, but if its much cheaper to buy in bulk online I might give it a go. 16$ for a set of NYXL is pretty expensive for me as a student. The Ernie balls were half that but anyway.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:15 AM   #4
Austin R
Hip to be square

Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute Austin R is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

I'd take a look at coated strings. I have pretty sweaty hands and Elixirs last forever for me.
Carvin DC127, PRS McCarty Soapbar, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Mexican Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Trad. Pro,
Austin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 AM   #5
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Are they breaking, sounding thumpy and dead, not intonating properly, rusting/corroding, or all of the above? If its only an intonation problem, then set the intonation when you install new strings and don't change it as the strings age. That way the intonation will always be correct when you install new strings. Some folks keep adjusting the intonation as the strings age and then its all screwed up when they install new strings. If its rust/corrosion, then wash your hands before you play and wipe the strings down when you finish playing. I don't have acid hands but I have a friend who does and his string corrode like crazy.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:09 AM   #6
Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Just getting started

Stainless Steel ~ bright but will probably get rid of problem. You may be allergic to nickel, sounds dumb but that is the cause.
Anita Bonghit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 03:20 AM   #7
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Get checked for nickel reactions (All guitarists should probably do this at some point)
Dress appropriately for the temperature.
Buy a quiet clamp-on fan.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
Morfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Are they breaking, sounding thumpy and dead, not intonating properly, rusting/corroding, or all of the above? If its only an intonation problem, then set the intonation when you install new strings and don't change it as the strings age. That way the intonation will always be correct when you install new strings. Some folks keep adjusting the intonation as the strings age and then its all screwed up when they install new strings. If its rust/corrosion, then wash your hands before you play and wipe the strings down when you finish playing. I don't have acid hands but I have a friend who does and his string corrode like crazy.
Mostly corroding and intonation. I do set the intonation straight away with new strings and then just let it be. Thanks for helping!

Old 01-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #9
Morfz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin R View Post
I'd take a look at coated strings. I have pretty sweaty hands and Elixirs last forever for me.
Yeah I might give them a go again.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Now that I just play for me and the dog they last for months, there was a time that I bought strings by the case and had to change them at least once a week.

The tape wounds on my Bass have lasted about a year so far and I have no plans to change them any time soon.