Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 01-25-2018, 02:22 AM   #1
NickS

NickS Just getting started
Default Floyd Rose question

Hello. This is a question for all you Floyd Rose nerds. Iím fairly new to owning one. About last year I purchased a Jem Jr and replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh Floyd. Ever since I replaced it, itís been a pain in the butt to setup and play, especially with intonation. I pushed the saddles back as far as they go and the notes are still too sharp to be passable. What should I do? Note: it still has the original posts and the neck is fairly straight. Action not too high or too low
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Could be any number of things, and most likely beyond the knowledge on this site.
Maybe someone in the link below can help.

https://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/...Locking-vs-FRO
Old 01-25-2018, 03:36 PM   #3
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

What he said ^^^.
I've never had a Floyd Rose, but I've read a lot about them on various forums. Basically, what I've learned is that "Floyd Rose" is a French term that means "pain in the ass".
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #4
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

I had a guitar with a Floyd Rose on it once. At first I changed the strings as I normally would and every time I set it up it got more and more difficult. You need a guitar tech eventually. At least that's how it went for me. I love guys like Rhandy Rhoads that used the Floyd Rose. I even have a Jackson Rhoads V but I bought a hardtail version because I just used to get so frustrated.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
watson503
Up The Irons !!!

watson503 Just getting started watson503 Just getting started

The thing about Floyd Rose trems is it is all about balance - once you understand the concept behind them, they're not hard to work on at all. As for the op, I'd take your guitar to a tech and let them get everything sorted out for you, watch and ask questions, and from there there are a fair amount of videos on YT concerning Floyd Rose set-ups, string changes, etc.
watson503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #6
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
Ever since I replaced it, itís been a pain in the butt to setup and play, especially with intonation. I pushed the saddles back as far as they go and the notes are still too sharp to be passable. What should I do? Note: it still has the original posts and the neck is fairly straight. Action not too high or too low
Its very likely that the new bridge you installed has saddles located in a different place on the bridge plate (mounted forward, closer to the nut) relative to the bridge pivot posts as compared to the bridge you removed.

If you were able to intonate the guitar with the stock bridge, and it wont intonate now due to the saddles not having enough range rearward, then that IS your issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickS View Post
About last year I purchased a Jem Jr and replaced the stock bridge with a Gotoh Floyd.
I doubt a Gotoh Floyd is a better bridge than what came on the guitar, and since you cant intonate the guitar, it really doesnt matter if its better or not, so my question would be why would you have changed the bridge in the first place?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:14 AM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Years ago, when I lost my mind, I bought one of the early Floyd Rose tail pieces and installed it on a Strat. It worked great but every string change was an ordeal. The newer ones are even more of a pain in the butt. Now that you've learned the lesson that the rest of us have learned, take that crap off of there and put the original bridge back on. When I was doing guitar tech work, I charged $5 extra to string up a guitar that had one on it.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:32 PM   #8
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
Years ago, when I lost my mind...
You've found yours?? Man, congrats on that!!
I havent been able to find mine anywhere... it MUST have been part of what my ex got when we split up, but I never saw it mentioned in the divorce papers.

I really gotta find that damn thing.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
NickS

NickS Just getting started

Sorry for not answering you guys but I actually figured it out. The thing that the screws are connected to wasn’t straight so it was tighter on the right side of the neck and looser on the left side of the neck. When I fixed that it seemed to be coordinating properly. Also for the person telling me to switch back to the stock bridge, I can’t since the knife edges were beginning to wear and tear. The Gotoh has the same metals as the OFR has and costs less and the saddles are in the same place as the old bridge. Thank you everyone for the help
NickS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:33 PM   #10
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
You've found yours?? Man, congrats on that!!
I havent been able to find mine anywhere... it MUST have been part of what my ex got when we split up, but I never saw it mentioned in the divorce papers.

I really gotta find that damn thing.
Actually, I didn't find it. I think it got hungry and came back on its own.