Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 01-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child
Default Wiring My Project Guitar

Well you all have seen this from a different thread:

Since I have the time I want to try to rewire it myself. The two pups are in and I found all the parts in my shed. All the screws are gone except one but they should be able to find. Im probably going to need a lot of help with this and Im not that good it seems with diagrams but Im a bit from that point anyway. First I need someone to point me somewhere that I can buy what I need.

I need 2 volume and 2 tone pots. I have a brand new 3 way toggle switch so I assume that I can use that and wont have to buy another. I also need a soldering iron and solder.

Im assuming that I will wire it so I can use the bridge or neck pup alone or both combined.

Ok guys, start me off. Where do I buy this stuff?

Oh, and the part of the pickguard that faces out has turned yellow for some reason. I imagine I could repaint it but I wonder if there is a place I could send the old guard to and they could just make a new one? It's actualy pretty small. Wont help me to buy the material because I have no way of cutting it nicely.

Thanks.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Just sand the yellow off of the pickguard using very high grit sandpaper. Maybe even start with that green pad on the back of some kitchen sponges and see if that will do the job.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child Cobalt has resourced their inner child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
Just sand the yellow off of the pickguard using very high grit sandpaper. Maybe even start with that green pad on the back of some kitchen sponges and see if that will do the job.
I will give that a shot.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #4
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Get your tools in order. I bought a solder...lemme just link them....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Excepting the soldering iron, you don't absolutely need the other stuff. I got a cheap, but very workable one. I could swear mine is red, and variable temperature.

A good wire stripper makes your life a helluva lot easier. Very, very fine wire, you can hold a lighter to it, and burn it off. I forget which mod I had, but it seemed like there were 3 strands shielded in a wire about a hair's thickness; it was driving me nuts.

Shrink tubing is good to join 2 wires together, or a few, not only to tidy things up, but to properly shield them. Exposed wiring can short things out if exposed.

The helping hands is really great if you're doing it alone, and the magnifying glass if you're near sighted, and it also blocks the possibility of of suddenly jerking and getting solder in your eyes. Or wear goggles. I have to take my glasses off to work really close, and goggles tend to fog up on my.

Watch some YT vids on soldering.

Learn how to keep the tips clean; if it's black, heat won't transfer.

Take a good look at the lugs everywhere. Make sure you know what ground and hot is.

Take a picture of everything before you desolder.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
I need 2 volume and 2 tone pots. I have a brand new 3 way toggle switch so I assume that I can use that and wont have to buy another. I also need a soldering iron and solder.
Since this is a project, and not a vintage restoration, do you WANT 2 volume and 2 tone pots? You could easily gt some pickguard material from Stewart MacDonald or Ebay, duplicate the guard plate and wire the guitar very simply... a jack, a 3 way switch, one volume, one tone. If you got the thin pickguard material (.060 thick) you can cut that with a tin snip, or a similar heavy duty scissor.
Im just asking before you get into it. It would be much easier to wire up that way.

If you wanna stick with 2 volumes and 2 tone pots, you could just copy a Les Paul's circuit, such as this Epi LP wiring diagram:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-16-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Get your tools in order. I bought a solder...lemme just link them....

Excepting the soldering iron, you don't absolutely need the other stuff. I got a cheap, but very workable one. I could swear mine is red, and variable temperature.

A good wire stripper makes your life a helluva lot easier. Very, very fine wire, you can hold a lighter to it, and burn it off. I forget which mod I had, but it seemed like there were 3 strands shielded in a wire about a hair's thickness; it was driving me nuts.

Shrink tubing is good to join 2 wires together, or a few, not only to tidy things up, but to properly shield them. Exposed wiring can short things out if exposed.

The helping hands is really great if you're doing it alone, and the magnifying glass if you're near sighted, and it also blocks the possibility of of suddenly jerking and getting solder in your eyes. Or wear goggles. I have to take my glasses off to work really close, and goggles tend to fog up on my.

Watch some YT vids on soldering.

Learn how to keep the tips clean; if it's black, heat won't transfer.

Take a good look at the lugs everywhere. Make sure you know what ground and hot is.

Take a picture of everything before you desolder.
Thanks.

So that soldering iron will do the job? I have multiple wire strippers and a magnifying glass. Those sleeves, do you use them? Would tape do the same thing?

Everything is already desoldered so I would be starting from new.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
Since this is a project, and not a vintage restoration, do you WANT 2 volume and 2 tone pots? You could easily gt some pickguard material from Stewart MacDonald or Ebay, duplicate the guard plate and wire the guitar very simply... a jack, a 3 way switch, one volume, one tone. If you got the thin pickguard material (.060 thick) you can cut that with a tin snip, or a similar heavy duty scissor.
Im just asking before you get into it. It would be much easier to wire up that way.

If you wanna stick with 2 volumes and 2 tone pots, you could just copy a Les Paul's circuit, such as this Epi LP wiring diagram:

Thanks Fill. I know it would be harder for me but I would want to go with two tone and two volumes.

Are tone and volume pots the same thing? Do I want 250 or 500?

On the pickguard material, if i was able to get it cut is there a way to smooth out the edges?
Old 01-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #8
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

A variation on that circuit that I like is the so-called "J bass wiring", where the wires on the volume pots are reversed, so that the pickup goes to the middle lug, and the output comes from the hot end lug. In standard wiring, if you turn one pot down you lose volume, with the switch in the middle position. With this J-bass wiring, you can blend the pickups in any proportion, from all-bridge to all-neck, with the selector switch in the middle position, without loss of volume. It is a very simple mod, so you can try it and see which you prefer.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 AM   #9
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
So that soldering iron will do the job? I have multiple wire strippers and a magnifying glass. Those sleeves, do you use them? Would tape do the same thing?
Yes. I double checked, and it's variable temperature. DON'T CRANK IT TO ITS HIGHEST TEMP. Look at some YT vids, I forget which is the optimum temp, but that particular iron gets super hot. Look at how to clean tips when you finish; you don't want black tips.

Take pics of the wiring- oh, you desoldered. Well, you'll have to figure out which lugs and wires are hot, and ground.

I guess electrical tape would do, but I'd go with the shrink tubing. Tape will lose its stickiness over time, and become undone. I have a mess of them, so if you want, I'll mail you a handful. Hell will freeze over before I use that much tubing. If you need some extra wire, I can send you some too (just hope I can find that shit haha). Solder the wires together before you put the tubing on. You may not have to join any wires together anyway, but they're handy.

IMO, extra wire and tubing is good to have on hand, anyway. I had so much trouble stripping the wires on the DiMarzios, the wire was getting shorter and shorter. You're more patient than me, so if you have a decent hardware store, or Home Depot nearby, they're bound to have it wire and tubing. Wires come in different gauges.

Quote:
Thanks Fill. I know it would be harder for me but I would want to go with two tone and two volumes.

Are tone and volume pots the same thing? Do I want 250 or 500?
For humbuckers, 500k is typical. If you use 250k, you'll lose some high end. I think in theory the pots are the same, but I think for a volume pot, you'll want a linear taper. Google it. Since I've worked only Fenders for the most part, I just have on hand 250K "for tone or volume," but I've read there's a difference.

Fill (or someone else) will have to answer whether you need treble bleeds, or correct anything I may have said. I can't believe I even remembered the stuff I posted here.

This is really a "mod" to swap out those stinking noiseless pups, huh? I knew you'd come around.

Start on looking at YT vids- there's tinning, and all that crap that's good to know.

Oh, I got a solder wick that's handy for when you go overboard with the soldering. I have NO idea how I did the Gretsch so easily. The more I learned, the worse I got, but that started with a shit soldering iron. The one I linked is a cheapy, but works well. If you start going nuts soldering, your fan and shit- hire an electrician.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Wiring is fun! I just finished mine. I may have burnt my tone cap accidentally, but it is still working anyway. Good luck!
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote