Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 10-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #11
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Yes I did! I could still smell the lead until I went to sleep!

I followed this diagram:

But instead of the 250k volume pot, I use 500k, and instead of the normal 250k tone, I used a no-load 250k for the tone circuit bypass option.
Some diagrams confuse the shit out of me, but that looks clearly set out. I've been looking into a decent soldering iron to get into it. Once all my tools arrive I'll be having a go at refret, and onto the electrics.

Good work dude.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 03:52 PM   #12
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Glad you're happy with your mod, LLB.

I have a grounding issue with my CV, and don't look forward to doing an autopsy on it, but it's causing a bad hum through my amp.

I still can't decide which strat to put the GFS pups in. They're pretty hot, 10k or so. I'm afraid the sound may be muddy.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #13
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
Glad you're happy with your mod, LLB.

I have a grounding issue with my CV, and don't look forward to doing an autopsy on it, but it's causing a bad hum through my amp.

I still can't decide which strat to put the GFS pups in. They're pretty hot, 10k or so. I'm afraid the sound may be muddy.
Yes I am! I'm trying to find the right balance and heights for the pickups. I am having a hard time measuring because my old eyes are struggling with the millimeters graduations on the ruler! I am thinking of taking it to a luthier for the fine tuning.

My Artec Giovanni hot rails are really hot at 11k. I use it usually for dirt, so I am good with it. I am happy with the stock neck pups, but I am looking at other options.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 PM   #14
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Yes I am! I'm trying to find the right balance and heights for the pickups. I am having a hard time measuring because my old eyes are struggling with the millimeters graduations on the ruler! I am thinking of taking it to a luthier for the fine tuning.

My Artec Giovanni hot rails are really hot at 11k. I use it usually for dirt, so I am good with it. I am happy with the stock neck pups, but I am looking at other options.
If you can't measure, just give the screws a 1/4 turn. You can give it to a luthier who'll do it to spec, but it still may not be where you want it.

I normally just plug in, and raise/lower from there.

My GFS pups are pretty hot- ~10k+. The pups in my MiM are 8k+ and pretty low, but I still find them muddy. I'm kind of reluctant to swap the CV alnico 3s because it does have a very Knopfler vibe to them. OTOH, it's not a tone I want all the time.

I really want a chimey, SRV/Hendrix kind of sound. I probably should have gone with pups in the 7k range. But I really won't know until I install them.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:03 AM   #15
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I think I have the right height mix already! It now has lots of tonal options. I am happy with the mods!

Slim, do you have the split humbucker option? I think you should! It is awesome!

Video demo is in the works! Because of the many tonal possibilities, I am just not sure how and what to demo.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #16
Silimtao
Baaand

I didn't want to split the bridge pup because I like the sound. I could have, but I doubt I'd have used it much.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #17
littlebadboy

I played and played with it. And then played with it some more. It is awesome! Until the neck finish got sticky. I read about sanding it off. How do I do it? Any cons if I will do it?
Old 10-18-2017, 12:57 AM   #18
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

You can use either natural or synthetic .0000 steel wool to knock down the finish on the back of the neck. You go with the length of the neck contouring the pad or wool bunch with your hand cupped. You don't need a lot of passes. Just do enough to get where it feels right. 4-6 light passes should do the trick. The only cons could be aesthetically to anyone else should you decide to sell it.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #19
hippychip

hippychip Just getting started

I use Scotch-brite for doing my necks---steel wool will break down, and get into the pups unless you tape them off, and since you will have to do it periodically to keep the satin finish that can be a pain in the butt.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:40 AM   #20
littlebadboy

Thank you Keith and hippychip!

Where do I buy natural or synthetic .0000 steel wool? Is that any Scotch-brite at grocery store? I feel hesitant now because of the cons I have read such as exposing the wood to the elements and to do it periodically to keep the satin finish.