Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > DIY

Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default $100 Telecaster Project

I'm about to start the upgrades on my $100 Squier telecaster. I think may leave it as is visually. Sort of a wolf is sheep's clothing. Even with the stock PuPs, the more I play it, the more I like it, so I'm excited to see how it sounds with better electronics.

Parts list
* Tonerider TRT2 Hot Classic pickups
* 4-way Oak-Grigsby switch
* CTS 250k audio pots
* .047 Orange drop capacitor
* Treble bleed kit
* Switchcraft jack

The bridge and tuners are working well, so I'm leaving them alone for now. The pickups are supposed to be very similar to the Classic Vibe 50s which I really like. I don't have a great feel for how the treble bleed affects the tone but I *think* I want the tone to be consistent as I roll the volume down.

I'm going to use the existing plate. I'll ream the holes to fit the US sized pots. The stock switch location is OK but I'm going to experiment with reversing it to see how it feels.

The 4-way will give me the option to run the pickups in series as well as parallel.

Everything will arrive this week but I won't start on it until next week at the earliest.

Last edited by DanRode; 09-26-2017 at 02:40 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
HawkHunt

HawkHunt Just getting started

I've only heard good stuff about the toneriders, keep us posted!
HawkHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Sweet!!!

I am still waiting on one pup and a superswitch before I can get my partscaster happening. But good on you!!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

You might find that a 047 cap is too much of a good thing, especially with a 250K pot.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm mod'ing my tele cv too! Just waiting for the pickups which the mailman needs my autograph and can't leave it in my mailbox.

Mine will have:
  • Artec Giovanni custom single coil sized rail humbuckers with full 64mm rails. Decided on this because they're the only one with Alnico 5.
  • Fender 500k vol pot, was thinking of 1 meg, will try this 1st.
  • Fender 250k tone pot but has no-load option - goes straight to output.
  • OG 4-way for: neck/neck+bridge south/bridge south/full bridhe humbucker
  • Might have a flip switch to go straight to output from pickup switch

Fill is my advisor on this.

I guess it won't be a classic vibe anymore...

Good luck to us!
littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #6
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm pretty ignorant regarding what capacitor to use. The 047 is what came in the kit.

If it's too much, how would the tone be affected? What would other capacitors do? They're inexpensive, so I don't mind swapping.

The whole reason I want to do this is to learn more about how it all works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
You might find that a 047 cap is too much of a good thing, especially with a 250K pot.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:12 AM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I'm no expert, but bigger caps tend to have a lower shelving frequency, which means that as you turn the tone down, they cut deeper into the mid range, and this combined with the low Kohm pot might make everything warm and muddy, as opposed to just taking off the brightness. You could get a couple small caps, say a .022 and a 0.03 microF polyester film type, which is what I us,e and experiment a bit. Wiring mods are easy in a telecaster.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 AM   #8
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

Very cool! It's interesting that at least 3 of us are doing Squier Telecaster upgrades but we're all doing something different. I heard a clip of Slim's and it sounds great to me.

I get the no-load tone pot. That seems like nice touch. I may add that to the Strat at some point. Are you using the 500k pot to take the edge off the brightness? I'd been toying with a full-bypass switch myself but opted to leave it out. This is my first attempt, So I'm going to try to keep it as simple as possible.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your build progresses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
I'm mod'ing my tele cv too! Just waiting for the pickups which the mailman needs my autograph and can't leave it in my mailbox.

Mine will have:
  • Artec Giovanni custom single coil sized rail humbuckers with full 64mm rails. Decided on this because they're the only one with Alnico 5.
  • Fender 500k vol pot, was thinking of 1 meg, will try this 1st.
  • Fender 250k tone pot but has no-load option - goes straight to output.
  • OG 4-way for: neck/neck+bridge south/bridge south/full bridhe humbucker
  • Might have a flip switch to go straight to output from pickup switch

Fill is my advisor on this.

I guess it won't be a classic vibe anymore...

Good luck to us!
Old 09-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #9
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
Sweet!!!

I am still waiting on one pup and a superswitch before I can get my partscaster happening. But good on you!!
Please share
Old 09-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #10
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Just to be clear, I opted not to use 500k pots because I was afraid things would be too trebly/bright. I wanted to get away from the ice-picky treble tellys are known for. In my vid clip, my tone knob wasn't wide open, but even if it was, it wouldn't have been piercing, while retaining some telly twang.

Also, you can't escape how your pups are voiced. I just lucked out with my first choice in pups. I really love the DiMarzios.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote