Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 06-20-2017, 02:16 AM   #11
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

My dad was my original teacher, he was a highly skilled Jazz player. He wanted me to learn what he knew and I was just not as advanced as he would have liked. My mom hated the guitar in his hands, to her it meant he traveled, he was gone, and she didn't like it. If was finally her or pro playing, very selfish but it was what it was.

I started taking some fairly rudimentary lessons at McChord Music in Downtown Dallas. Mr. Standifer. My mom relented and if I would pickup the steel guitar, I could have one. SO, we started off on steel (maybe why I'm a passable slide player now).

I didn't really want to play steel guitar, I wasn't a country kid, and it wasn't cool at all at the time. I finally saved money from summer jobs and the like and bought my first real guitar.

My dad didn't know and didn't want to know about rock and blues guitar. He took me to his cousin in West Dallas and that was my introduction. It didn't hurt that he was friends with some of the Pharoah's from Sam the Sham, who turned out to be a distant cousin, and they would practice in his house because Sam didn't have room. All in all it was a good education in the fretboard. I fell into that "put the needle down, copy, repeat" style that was mentioned. Since that time, I've never taken another lesson in my life.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:33 AM   #12
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post

Does all the information you can get these days make players better off than before the internet?.
I would say yes and no. It depends on the ability of the individual to consume and use information.

To much information to one that has a slower learning curve can be overwhelming whereas someone that has a high learning curve will absorb all kinds of goodies.

Part of the problem with learning from the Net is not everything is correct to each person.

What I hear is what I adapt to be it fingering a certain chord or note/s. When I see it being played as "it should be played", I sometimes say FFS, that's the way they do it, but by then, I have the chord or note/s figured out with the way I make the changes.

The internet is a blessing and a burden. Knowledge is power, always, but sometimes I to, wonder if having all this open knowledge is making learning a little more lazier instead of trying to figure things out on ones own. Giving the answer before the question is asked.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:38 AM   #13
know-dem-scales

know-dem-scales Just getting started

My step grandfather got me interested. He was a preacher, gospel preacher who strummed the old church songs. We had one music place in town. POP knew the guy. In the late 80's, I took half hour lessons on an awesome Gibson acoustic. Five bucks for half hour. Pop bought me an Epiphone strat style. A Peavey amp, no distortion. All my later lessons centered around guitar intros. I only learned one complete song. In 3 years, one total song. Now I learn as much as I can from you all and other sources.
know-dem-scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:48 AM   #14
Old Guitar Dad

Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Old Guitar Dad The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I would say yes and no. It depends on the ability of the individual to consume and use information.

The internet is a blessing and a burden. Knowledge is power, always, but sometimes I to, wonder if having all this open knowledge is making learning a little more lazier instead of trying to figure things out on ones own. Giving the answer before the question is asked.
I agree in context, however I like to use the internet as a kind of short cut (mud map) if you like. I never sit watching / playing along with my guitar, I instead watch and absorb how someone plays something then I head to the guitar room, pick up a guitar and play along to the record and use that "general vicinity" knowledge to force my ear to work out how "I" can play it.

Because I don't know the names of any of the chords (except open chords) or have any real knowledge of scales, I simply use trial and error to get there using common chord shapes etc.

Hence why all my lead breaks are seriously flawed.
Old Guitar Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #15
FwL
User of Registers

FwL Just getting started

I wish I wasn't self-taught. If there had been somebody to show me stuff, answer questions and point the way, I would have been twice the player in half the time.

If I had access back then to all the resources available today, I would rule the world.

My Personal Website | Band Website | youtube | soundcloud

Current Gear: Yamaha A3R TBL Limited Edition through a Digitech RP1000 and POG2 then straight into the PA
FwL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 AM   #16
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I think the internet has improved things for everyone. There is no non-financial downside to having a teacher but you can learn everything online as well.

I'm like some of the others who have posted above. I had a teacher for 2 years as a kid. I learned to read notes from a musical staff and I learned a few chords but it was all pretty boring and after I quit I didn't play again for 40 years.

The second time around I learned far more from the internet than I did as a kid. I did go to an adult "jamming" class for about 6 months that was mainly about playing the blues.

If you are an adult and have access to the internet and have a personal instructor that you like that is probably better than not having that instructor. Otherwise, you can learn it all on your own but having a good instructor is never going to be a bad thing.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 04:38 AM   #17
know-dem-scales

know-dem-scales Just getting started

Seattle, our stories sound similar. Scales were boring back then. My instructor played a B something scale, and I said hey that sounds like Metallica's Jump In The Fire. Wouldn't you know it is in there. It clicked then, but not so much as making scales the be all end all. I picked up the guitar again after about 27 years.
know-dem-scales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:08 AM   #18
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by know-dem-scales View Post
Seattle, our stories sound similar. Scales were boring back then. My instructor played a B something scale, and I said hey that sounds like Metallica's Jump In The Fire. Wouldn't you know it is in there. It clicked then, but not so much as making scales the be all end all. I picked up the guitar again after about 27 years.
I didn't even play scales back then. My teacher was an old guy (think Mr. Rogers) who always wore a sweater, smoked a pipe and I think lived with his mother.

He was a good guitar player but he had me learn Spanish guitar music. Every thing I played required reading 3 stacked up notes over and over. I never learned any music theory (I have taught myself that since then).

I started out in a group class when my neighbor and I both got guitars at Christmas. After a year everyone else quit and therefore I was in a private class. I stayed for another year and then left just because it wasn't fun.

If I was a little older I would have known to negotiate with my teacher regarding what I was studying but I was a shy kid and probably 10 or so at the time so I just did what I was told.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #19
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post

To much information to one that has a slower learning curve can be overwhelming whereas someone that has a high learning curve will absorb all kinds of goodies.

Part of the problem with learning from the Net is not everything is correct to each person.

What I hear is what I adapt to be it fingering a certain chord or note/s. When I see it being played as "it should be played", I sometimes say FFS, that's the way they do it, but by then, I have the chord or note/s figured out with the way I make the changes.

I have seen myself watching a how to video and to my ear or playing style or both it isn't right. As an old school guy i stick to what my ear tells me .
Saying that there is times i get the agh thats it why thanks that saved me some time and effort.
Also seenmyself watch a how to video and if you like learn it in my head if i cant get to my guitar lol
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:57 AM   #20
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

I do have lessons 20min a week, but I have used the internet A LOT aswell to answer my questions. The first few years of taking lessons I didnt really learn anything. My teacher was trying to instruct me in classical guitar and reading music. I only started playing guitar for real when I got an electric guitar and heard sultans of swing alchemy live.
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote