Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #61
mrbreeze317

mrbreeze317 Just getting started

Began teaching in the 4th grade, mimicking as best I could the songs I heard on the radio. Found a local H.S. that was offering summer music lessons on all instruments. They had a guitar ensemble of teenagers who would perform at local events that took more advanced lessons, then taught the beginners. I was moved to intermediate quickly and a couple of the older kids took me under their wing - I got a bit more instruction than the other students and was able to jam with them, sometimes even getting the opportunity to throw in some lead licks.

Later on, we moved away from that area, more self-teaching for awhile. My Mom found a jazz guitarist who was giving lessons. He'd come by the house, give me my 1/2 hour of instructions, then stick around to jam with my Mom who was a fantastic singer. I'd follow along as best as I could.

Went to live with my Dad who saw no value in playing the guitar - no lessons, back to self-teaching. Hooked up with several people over the years and jammed, in and out of garage bands, played out a few times - learned more by doing this than anything else. Took a few piano lessons in between, I can read music, but I can't site read.

Music instructors make their living by keeping their students coming back, they won't move you along too fast. I appreciate those who would just teach you songs, but the best ones teach rudiments. I know several accomplished musicians who will take a lesson or two now and then.

If the internet had been around when I was a kid, my life would have taken a completely different direction.
mrbreeze317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #62
mike_rizk

mike_rizk Just getting started

I've been teaching guitar for the last 20 years + all my students who are self taught, some for several years and more all say the same thing. They wish they had come to me from the start.

It really depends on how good you want to get. Motivation is another big factor, becoming a complete guitarist means you need to do some boring frustrating stuff sometimes.

Don't get me wrong, the internet is great but it's lacking 2 key things. 1 Structure 2 You don't know the person making the video

My recommendation is if you are self taught, find a good guitar teacher and try them out for 4 weeks. If you don't see improvement then there's your answer

Anyways no right or wrong answer only talking from experience

Mike
mike_rizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 02:15 AM   #63
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I started out learning by myself and picked up what I could from other guitar players. When I started playing in a band, I immediately started taking guitar lessons from the local guitar guru. A great guitarist friend told me that anyone can learn to play the guitar by themselves but a teacher speeds up the process. There are two kinds of teachers. The first type teaches you to read music and teaches you music theory and proper technique so you can learn whatever songs you like to play. The second type is the monkey see monkey do teacher that only teaches you how to play the songs you like to play. That's not to say I'm peeing on the Monkey See teachers. You pay them to show you and you get exactly what you paid for and everybody is happy.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:05 PM   #64
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I was taught by my dad to the point of our musical interested taking two different roads. From that point on , I learned it all by myself. Now I think, if I had proper lessons, some of that stuff that it took me decades to learn, I could have learned by the time I was 20 or so, what a difference that would have made. Take the lessons.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #65
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Every guitarist is self taught, even those that take lessons from a teacher.

The point of lessons is to teach you how to learn to play, and demonstrate better/safer/easier paths than your intuition will conjure.

Every musician should have a teacher/mentor/instructor/coach of some sort, even if it's only once every two months. The point is to fix the broken bits of your playing/technique and to provide guidance and a clear path towards accomplishing your personal goals.

In the end, it is entirely in the hands of the individual whether they want to be a guitar player or a guitarist.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:10 AM   #66
GuitMan

GuitMan Just getting started

I think it is worthwhile getting a teacher, at least when you start, so you can get the fundamental techniques correct.
GuitMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:34 PM   #67
Christian Becker

Christian Becker Just getting started

I think it really depends on what type you are.
I'm good at teaching myself stuff that is purely intellectual, but I got the impression that when it comes to practical stuff lessons are better for me.
Christian Becker is offline   Reply With Quote