Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-07-2018, 03:03 AM   #41
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman View Post
The biography of U.S. Grant by Ron Chernow. The parts about the Civil War, are pretty familiar, but the really interesting part is the politics and conflicts when he was elected president.
Love his books, Grant is waiting in the queue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I'm currently reading Night Without Stars by Peter F. Hamilton. It's part 2 of a series that I'm finally getting around to reading. Some of his book drag a bit...he's written some large tomes, but this one has been pretty exciting from beginning to end.

I go through phases with reading. I spent a couple of years reading nothing but biographies, mostly music. I'll go on science fiction kicks. Discovered some good books in the Star Wars universe. Went through all of Brad Thor's and Vince Flynn's books...those got old after a while.

An interesting book I read recently was Beneath a Scarlet Sky by Mark T. Sullivan. It's the true story of a young man who spied on the Nazis in Italy during WW II. Apparently it's going to be made into a movie. What makes this book interesting is it is one of the few books that tells the story of the Nazi occupation of Italy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHarryReems View Post
I've read quite a bit of Hamilton. I thought the Pandora's Star books were great!
Love Peter F Hamilton, but his endings really suck. He also tends to be really repetitive; with both the Void and the Nights Dawn Trilogy I kept thinking I already read something, but it was just too similar to something that had happened earlier. Otherwise his works can be mesmerizing.

The Pandora's Star series is probably my all-time favorite sci-fi read.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 PM   #42
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

I just finished “19 Minutes to Live” by Lew Jennings. It is an excellent book about his memoirs in Vietnam while flying helicopters.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #43
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Dan Brown's "The Lost Symbol". I'm less than halfway through and about to give up. A load of slow-moving silly, pretentious rubbish. I read "The Da Vinci Code" and quite enjoyed it, and my daughter gave me his latest one "Origin" for Christmas, and I liked it a more than I thought I would, but I've lost both interest in, and patience with, conspiracy theories.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #44
TheScholar
Bluegrass Musician

TheScholar Just getting started

My next read is Hamilton, wish me luck.
TheScholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:51 PM   #45
iiholly

iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard iiholly is an unapologetic snarky bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I read that a long time ago. All I remember is, it was a long ass book, and I liked it. Other details I don't recall, except the very end.
I ripped out all the back pages and rewrote it with Satan winning.

Ok... that hasn't happened yet.

I think all of this may have counted as an unintended spoiler. Do spoilers count if you don't mean it?