Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 02-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #21
Big John

Big John Just getting started Big John Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
I'm talking about the picking hand. I can't possibly see how this would apply to the fretting hand. You can't NOT curl your pinky while fretting.
Roger that. I'm talking about the fretting hand. The way this applies to the fretting hand is lots of players (and me) tend to curl the pinky back towards the palm. This is viewed as a "bad habit". The "correct" technique is to straighten the pinky so it is positioned over the fretboard.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

Nice to see you are still around Smedley.

Back when I was a young guitarist I was told by a teacher that I have the worst habit I could possibly have of anchoring my pinky on the guitar body. That I could never build any speed that way and needed to play what they called free wrist. After becoming frustrated in trying to play with my fingers all curled into a fist for a few weeks I happened to go to a concert in a small club and saw who "at the time" was considered one of the most incredible players on the planet. Steve Morse with the Dixie Dreggs... Pinky firmly anchored on the guitar body almost always. It goes to show with guitar a lot of times it's not necessarily whats conventionally right it's what comfortable for you. That being said lessons are great enjoy them and learn all you can.

Notice the pinky! still to this day.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:10 PM   #23
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrock View Post
Back when I was a young guitarist I was told by a teacher that I have the worst habit I could possibly have of anchoring my pinky on the guitar body. That I could never build any speed that way and needed to play what they called free wrist. After becoming frustrated in trying to play with my fingers all curled into a fist for a few weeks I happened to go to a concert in a small club and saw who "at the time" was considered one of the most incredible players on the planet. Steve Morse with the Dixie Dreggs... Pinky firmly anchored on the guitar body almost always. It goes to show with guitar a lot of times it's not necessarily whats conventionally right it's what comfortable for you. That being said lessons are great enjoy them and learn all you can.
I don't know what's "conventionally right" when it comes to holding a pick. But I do know what's measurably wrong in some things- you don't point the head stock to the floor, and you don't make a fist when holding a pick. It's impossible to have a relaxed forearm, if your fingers are drawn towards your palm.

Anchoring a pinky or palm- I say that's players choice.

I saw Roy Buchanan open for the Dreggs way back. Morse was a legend almost 30 years ago.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:12 PM   #24
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John View Post
Roger that. I'm talking about the fretting hand. The way this applies to the fretting hand is lots of players (and me) tend to curl the pinky back towards the palm. This is viewed as a "bad habit". The "correct" technique is to straighten the pinky so it is positioned over the fretboard.
In this context, I'd agree. You want your fingers at least hovering over the strings for economy of motion.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:46 PM   #25
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlyKat View Post
What makes the most sense is to let your hand & fingers be in a neutral position which would be slightly flexed & relaxed. This would cause the least amount of strain on any of the joints & muscles. This is the position that is aimed for when applying an upper extremity cast-neutral, slightly flexed, & relaxed.

See Ron
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
It always was.

I misread a new member's name- Cobra, for Coblat, and told him to use the cable from his strat. He doesn't have a strat.
Wow, don't I feel like an idiot. Goes to show you how powerful perception is...all these years I could have sworn it was Slimtao, not Silimtao.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #27
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrock View Post
Nice to see you are still around Smedley.

Notice the pinky! still to this day.

There's a guy that did some of the older song lessons on guitartricks (Andy Gurly) who had the most goofy looking picking technique...it looked awkward and seemed inefficient, but man he could play with some speed...picked every single note in Carry On My Wayward Son...no legato at all. It even looked like it was a struggle for him, but is sure didn't sound like it.

There's a video of Alex playing La Villa Strangiato and his fretting hand appears far from efficient...fingers flailing all over the place, but sounds smooth as butter.

Efficient technique I'm sure makes it easier, but whatever works for you...works.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote