Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Bass

Old 12-15-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
Daniel1967

Daniel1967 Just getting started
Default Some info about this guitar

I have a bass guitar with a label on that says”king”
Can not find any info about it, does someone know this brand?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DC57C76C-92E3-482B-8765-FDEFA5ED9485.jpeg (59.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Daniel1967; 12-15-2017 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Picture
Daniel1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

That looks like something from the 1960's made in Japan and styled to look like a Burns of London. I've seen pickups exactly like those and they were on a Japan made Tiesco guitars.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Daniel1967

Daniel1967 Just getting started

Thanks for the information, is it any good and wat is its value?
Daniel1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel1967 View Post
Thanks for the information, is it any good and wat is its value?
If its what I think it is, its not valuable at all. With that said, there is an emerging market for 1960's Japanese guitars. The Japanese guitars from that period new cost was anywhere from $39 to $99. People are starting to pay $100 to $150 for those things. That one being a Bass could push the price down or up depending on who wants it. I've got a Tiesco Del Rey Violin Bass and I'd sell it tomorrow for $125. The picture shows yours as being in really good condition and makes me wonder why its not all rusted and why the chrome isn't peeling like most of them are. I've heard stories about there being new issues of some of those old Japanese guitars but I've never seen any of them. I hope some one on here can actually nail down exactly what it is. My assessment is totally based on what it looks like to me.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing Keith has a craving for an ass-waxing

PKVeazey nailed it. It is indeed a Tiesco. It's a '68 Silvertone short scale Model 1490. 12 ply body construction.

These were single action truss rod necks, and that can be an issue if the neck is severely bowed concave (Dipped), but that can be fixed with a proper jig and humidity setup. I've had to do that on a couple of Tiesco guitars that have sat un-played for years and neglected.

The "King" label is something someone added on later and has no bearing to the Tiesco/Silvertone brand.

As mentioned, there are collectors out there looking for old Japanese made guitars because, let's face it, they made some really odd and cool looking guitars back then, and I have a few of them.

In pristine, all original condition and the neck is dead good, with the right collector that really wants it, you might be able to get up to $200 or s little more for it.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...tone_1490_Bass