Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode Just getting started DanRode Just getting started
Default Studio Speaker Setup

I'm not really trying to build a home recording studio. I might record guitar but mostly, I want to play using sim software and/or an MFX pedal. No podcast, no voice recording.

I have a set of Mackie CR 3 speakers. Good size and volume for practicing. In general, they are a good fit but I have one serious issue. The bass too pronounced. I understand this to bass buildup do to the room and location. They are next to the wall and the left speaker is in corner but I have few options to relocate.

One option is to buy a different set of speakers that can adjust to a room and location like mine. The $200 Presonus Eris 4.5 my top choice. I'd prefer the smaller CR3 but the Erris 4.5 is not too much larger.

Is there anything else I can do to reduce the bass buildup without spending a fortune or sitting in the middle of the room?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:50 PM   #2
Plankton
Chum

Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Plankton The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Maybe some low frequency bass traps would help, but it really depends on the size of the room you're talking about.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #3
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

Yeah, that seems like the obvious answer but it's a odd shaped room. I can think of only one place I could put a bass trap. I may just need to buy different speakers.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

I picked up IKM's ARC System 2 during a sale last year. Works VERY well. I route all of my audio thru my monitors. This made such a huge improvement for the DAW, I set it up to for all of my PC's audio. Very sweet.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:34 PM   #5
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

That looks interesting but it's beyond my needs a budget

Do you need to run everything through the AI and/or DAW to get the ARC?

I imagine playing Guitar -> Mfx -> Speaker aux input most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
I picked up IKM's ARC System 2 during a sale last year. Works VERY well. I route all of my audio thru my monitors. This made such a huge improvement for the DAW, I set it up to for all of my PC's audio. Very sweet.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
That looks interesting but it's beyond my needs a budget

Do you need to run everything through the AI and/or DAW to get the ARC?

I imagine playing Guitar -> Mfx -> Speaker aux input most of the time.

ARC is in the path for my default Win audio playback. EVERYTHING plays thru it by default.

My DAW interface is only used for DAW/guitar, so the ARC VST needs to be loaded when that interface is being used.

I have a matrix so I can have different sources routed thru different speakers. Most often, my AI and Win audio devices are routed thru my monitors (Event PS8s)

It's not as complicated as all of the typing makes it seem.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote