Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 AM   #1
jonomaia

jonomaia Just getting started
Default help with buying budget jackson vs ibanez vs Ltd

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, so, if i make something wrong, please forgive me
Recently, I've started to look for a new guitar with F. Rose after 6 good years playing with my Jackson js30KV.
Being a Brazilian, we are always in the struggle to find good guitar shops that have guitars that sound better than potatoes, especially away from the big cities and center ( where I live :\)
Then, searching for a 24fret guitar + thin neck + Fr system, i've found that the Jackson, ltd and Ibanez are the most easy to get here in Brazil and the most beautiful too hahaha

The thing is: i love metal guitars for the freedom that 24 frets give me and its great speed necks. I always played fast solos, but never liked metal sounding tones ( i like the more medium based tones and stuff, bluesy Strat sounds and i spend much time fingering in pure clean.
So, if that in mind, I've found 3 apparently nice guitars:

Jackson JS32 dinky DKA-m (R$2200,00) - reasons: 1)i have a Jackson js30 king v. Im used to the neck and sound of the pickups. 2)i love the smaller size of the dinky's and the Jackson inlays and head stock.
Worries: the licensed bridge. People generally criticize them so much. But a guitar with a good fr here are too overpriced. I'm okay with the bridge because maybe in the future i could buy a better one. In the moment, out of my possibilities.

ESP LTD KH202 (R$2300,00) - reason 1)yep, a signature model. But i have managed to find a guitar shop selling one for the price of a m100fm model. 2)for me, one of the prettiest guitars in the planet
Worries: the same from above + it seems to be a china made guitar. Original but china. For someone like me that never had so much experience with high or even medium range guitars, it will be so much notable?

Ibanez RG370fmz (R$2200) reasons 1) the new Ibanez edge zero II bridge that seems to have gotten a nicer reception than licensed. 2)single coils for more tone variation. In visuals, i still prefer the Jackson or LTD.
Worries: people said to me that is harder to find parts for this new bridge in Brazil in the case of something needs to be changed or fixed.

Resuming. The guitars are almost blowing my budget already. I'd like to know by you which one you think that has more value by the price? I, personally love the kh202. Do you thing that, for the same price than the others, its a good investment?.
Anyways, thanks for the time! If possible, justify the answers!
jonomaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 04:01 AM   #2
jonomaia

Ps: i didn't gave much spotlight to the tone and pickups because, to me, with my king V it was never a problem to me. And Im used to play a lot of stuff. From malmsteen to eminem xP SRV to tears for fears and celine dion LOL
Old 01-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
FillmoreNYC
Kung Fu Chicken

FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute FillmoreNYC is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonomaia View Post
Hello everyone...

Jackson JS32 dinky DKA-m (R$2200,00) - reasons: 1)i have a jackson js30 king v. Im used to the neck and sound of the pickups. 2)i love the smaller size of the dinkys and the jackson inlays and headstock.
Worries: the licensed bridge. People generally criticize them so much. But a guitar with a good fr here are too dayum overpriced. I'm okay with the bridge because maybe in the future i could buy a better one. In the moment, out of my possibilities.
Quote:
Ps: i didn't gave much spotlight to the tone and pickups because, to me, with my king V it was never a problem to me. And Im used to play a lot of stuff.
First, hello and welcome to the forum!!

Of the guitars you mentioned, personally, I'd be looking for a good example of the Jackson. To me, Jackson seems to pay the most attention to their necks, and playability is pretty much the most important "must have" aspect of a guitar. The licensed trem?? Not too big a deal, IMO. ALL those guitars have the manufacturers version of a Floyd Rose, and if you ask 10 guys, you'll get 11 opinions as to which one is best, and why anything other than an actual Floyd is bad.
If the guitar stays in tune when divebombing and doing trem pull ups, its done.

When it comes to a locking trem, I dont buy into that "this one has better tone" BS. The tone is gonna be what it it due to that big chunk of metal for a bridge and the amps high gain level typically used when playing a locking trem guitar anyway, so I totally dont buy the argument that "THIS big chunk of metal is better than THAT big chunk of metal" where bridges are concerned.

We're not talking about a guitar with an aluminum wraptail vs brass bridge saddles on a stainless steel baseplate and PAF pickups, being played thru a handwired Marshall at a mild gain setting here, where the player (assuming they have ears that work) can hear the diff.
We're talking about a 10oz chunk of steel with springs attached to it and nuclear output pickups thru an amp typically set to 'meltdown' gain levels. I doubt anyone could tell the diff between what locking bridge was on the guitar in that scenario.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the choice is yours, but I find Jackson guitars really good in all aspects, especially at that price point.

(Not to mention that you're already familiar with the breed).

Old 01-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
jonomaia

well! so much thanks man! this is maybe the first time that i didn't get a "<400 dollar LFR trems are garbage, buy a 10.000 equivalent" hahaha XP
As you said, the main point about them is the playability. the neck shape and width are most important than everything else!
I am more inclined to the jackson or ltd side until now. just want to make sure that wherever guitar i'd buy, its gonna be a decent one for the price
Old 01-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #5
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

thais889 Just getting started

I would say play all of them (if you haven't already) before making a decision.

Personally, the lower priced Jacksons offer the best sound and necks for the price. I've owned all 3 brands in the past and preferred Jacksons for the playbility and tone, LTDs were very nice (although I don't like the big block inlay of the model number on the 12th fret) and I couldn't jive with any Ibanez I've ever owned (and I really want to because of the looks and quality of their Prestige lineup.)

All 3 are great brands with good to great quality. Just play them all and go with what feels right (you can tweak the tone with pickups and electronic upgrades.)
thais889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
jonomaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thais889 View Post
I would say play all of them (if you haven't already) before making a decision.

Personally, the lower priced Jacksons offer the best sound and necks for the price. I've owned all 3 brands in the past and preferred Jacksons for the playbility and tone, LTDs were very nice (although I don't like the big block inlay of the model number on the 12th fret) and I couldn't jive with any Ibanez I've ever owned (and I really want to because of the looks and quality of their Prestige lineup.)

All 3 are great brands with good to great quality. Just play them all and go with what feels right (you can tweak the tone with pickups and electronic upgrades.)
Thank you!
I had the oportunity to play in a similar ibanez. 350dx. The problem was that they had it with just 3 strings in tune :/ so I just could experience the tone and a little of the neck... It seems a little flatter than my jackson, but I liked it too.

But something that many criticize me is that, i've always put the priorities low for ibanez because I like so much more of the visuals of the jackson (smaller body) and LTDs xP.
Well... with that in mind, i'd like to ask you if there's much difference between maple and rosewood scale beyond the looks.because, in jackson' side, there's two js32 models, one with maple and gloss body and a js32Q with rosewood and quilted maple
Old 01-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
thais889
Guitar Enthusiast

thais889 Just getting started

Quote:
Thank you!
I had the oportunity to play in a similar ibanez. 350dx. The problem was that they had it with just 3 strings in tune :/ so I just could experience the tone and a little of the neck... It seems a little flatter than my jackson, but I liked it too.

But something that many criticize me is that, i've always put the priorities low for ibanez because I like so much more of the visuals of the jackson (smaller body) and LTDs xP.
Well... with that in mind, i'd like to ask you if there's much difference between maple and rosewood scale beyond the looks.because, in jackson' side, there's two js32 models, one with maple and gloss body and a js32Q with rosewood and quilted maple
Would only 3 strings STAY in tune or it was just out of tune? Tuning problems can be diagnosed and corrected. And yes, Ibanez guitars tend to have flatter and thinner necks than Jacksons.

The wood would not determine the scale–scale length is independent on tonewood. Typically, the scale of a Jackson or Ibanez is the same (think typical Fender scale, longer than typical Gibsons.)

Some argue tonewoods don't matter and others say they do. Not going to argue about that here, just gonna go with what is typically said (you can look it up on a site like Warmoth to see what they say about tonewoods.)

Typically, Maple is credited with being brighter than Rosewood. Of course, with an electric guitar there are so many variables to the end result that for right now I wouldn’t worry about it.

I would go with how it feels. For my playing, I tend to play harder and snappier on a maple board than on a Rosewood…could be a mental thing but that’s how I perceive it.

Sounds like you are wanting to go the Jackson route–I would play several and pick the one that feels best to you.
thais889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Keith
Keeping the pocket

Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops Keith still butchers Stairway to Heaven in music shops

Quote:
But something that many criticize me is that, i've always put the priorities low for ibanez because I like so much more of the visuals of the jackson (smaller body) and LTDs
Visuals are only that, although that one tends to pick a guitar first based on how "cool" it looks. Play-ability and tonal options are everything along with the quality of the hardware and electronics.

I own and still play LTD, Epiphone, Ibanez, Aria ProII, Jay Turser, Fender guitars and Basses, and I've had a couple of '60's Kay's and Teisco's along the way that were really odd looking, but they played and sounded great after some work done, so don't worry about the critics. If it looks right, plays right, feels right and gives you everything you need, that's all that matters.

Quote:
Well... with that in mind, I'd like to ask you if there's much difference between maple and rosewood scale beyond the looks.because, in Jackson' side, there's two js32 models, one with maple and gloss body and a js32Q with rosewood and quilted maple
When it comes to a Maple vrs. Rosewood fret boards, it's all about personal visual "feel". Some say a Rosewood fret board brings more "warmth", and a Maple fret board brings more snap and twang. In my humble opinion, the fret board wood matters next to nothing in creating tone unless you are going fret-less.

Strings make contact with the frets first to create the note, not the fret board. The fretboard is just a seat to have the strings sit on the frets when the strings are pressed.

If you tuned to any open tuning, and played that tuning un-fretted, that's it. That's what you will get fretted. The thing is, as you go up the scale, tonal changes come in as you get closer to the pickups, especially on the 6th-3rd strings.

That being said, fret material does play a roll in sustain.

Pickups, caps, pots and wiring.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
jonomaia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Visuals are only that, although that one tends to pick a guitar first based on how "cool" it looks. Play-ability and tonal options are everything along with the quality of the hardware and electronics.

I own and still play LTD, Epiphone, Ibanez, Aria ProII, Jay Turser, Fender guitars and Basses, and I've had a couple of '60's Kay's and Teisco's along the way that were really odd looking, but they played and sounded great after some work done, so don't worry about the critics. If it looks right, plays right, feels right and gives you everything you need, that's all that matters.

When it comes to a Maple vrs. Rosewood fret boards, it's all about personal visual "feel". Some say a Rosewood fret board brings more "warmth", and a Maple fret board brings more snap and twang. In my humble opinion, the fret board wood matters next to nothing in creating tone unless you are going fret-less.

Strings make contact with the frets first to create the note, not the fret board. The fretboard is just a seat to have the strings sit on the frets when the strings are pressed.

If you tuned to any open tuning, and played that tuning un-fretted, that's it. That's what you will get fretted. The thing is, as you go up the scale, tonal changes come in as you get closer to the pickups, especially on the 6th-3rd strings.

That being said, fret material does play a roll in sustain.

Pickups, caps, pots and wiring.
so much thanks!

in the end of the day, it seems that it will be a "semi random" choice for me
i have found a friend with a simillar ibanez and soon i'll try it with all strings and propperly tuned lol
not counting the single coil pickups and a little bit thin neck from ibanez to jacksons, the differences maybe have no impact on my playing. ltd's neck are a little thinner than jackson and ibanez are flatter overall. its a shame that i cannot try any ltd, but, since i love my king V neck, i should enjoy that too.
i think i'll end up playing more safe and stay between ltd and the js32 for the similarity to mine and for the more common bridge. easy to find parts or to upgrade it in the future.

i must really thank you all for the help and the good reception to the forum!