Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #31
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Side note ...

The balanced cables are the best choice for the run from the line level source to the amp. The zip cord style leads go from the power output of the amp to the speakers.

No chance to to match length for Jase though. Both amps are in the left unit. The right unit gets connected to the left (output of amp) with a zip lead.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #32
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Speed of sound?...im gullible enough to believe that lol.

Bob when you say amp you mean my GT?. Im confused enough mate haha.

What ive understood about these speakers is that ones active, and the other passive, and they give you a length of speaker wire to connect with. I was wondering why one was lighter than the other. I read somewhere its a cost saving thing.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #33
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

The GT is a guitar amp sim/fx box. The output is line level - a level that gets fed to the input of a power amp. The power amp is in your left monitor box.

The electrical signal is actually traveling at the speed of light. That's roughly 300,000m/sec. If your lead to the right speaker is 1m in length, what you hear out of the right speaker will be delayed relative to the left by roughly 1/300,000 of a second.

In loose gubment style calcs, sound is delayed approx 1ms per foot.

--

Old 10-12-2017, 05:43 PM   #34
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Speed of sound?...im gullible enough to believe that lol.
Sound waves traveling through the air are subject to the speed of sound (~340 meters per second). Through a wire, it is an electrical signal governed by the speed of light (~300,000,000 meters per second). Just a bit of a difference! You'd need one hell of a long length of wire before any noticeable delay existed!!

Normally I let things like this slide, but I couldn't help myself with this guy and I asked him specifics about the "cutting the wires to the same length" thing. There are other reasons to match the wire length, but they have absolutely nothing to do with the speed of sound!! He was talking to me like I was an idiot and he was an authority. According to him, sound traveling through a wire was governed by the speed of sound despite it being an electrical signal.

This was why the guys at Radio Shack had a reputation for being morons.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:06 PM   #35
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

LOL too funny!
Well of course, the sound goes through the wires like a tin can telephone LOL

Now here is a theoretical question for you...
If time stands still at the speed of light, is a delay even possible....
Old 10-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #36
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies BallisticSquid feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
The GT is a guitar amp sim/fx box. The output is line level - a level that gets fed to the input of a power amp. The power amp is in your left monitor box.

The electrical signal is actually traveling at the speed of light. That's roughly 300,000m/sec. If your lead to the right speaker is 1m in length, what you hear out of the right speaker will be delayed relative to the left by roughly 1/300,000 of a second.

In loose gubment style calcs, sound is delayed approx 1ms per foot.
Took too long typing up my response .

According to Wikipedia, the speed of light is 300,000,000 m/s. Were you thinking kilometers/second?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #37
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
Took too long typing up my response .

According to Wikipedia, the speed of light is 300,000,000 m/s. Were you thinking kilometers/second?
Yes, I was! good catch. What's a 'k' here or there?

--

Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 PM   #38
BallisticSquid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Yes, I was! good catch. What's a 'k' here or there?
In terms of this discussion, a k here or there doesn't matter .
Old 10-13-2017, 08:41 PM   #39
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
And make sure you cut those lengths of twin lead to the same exactly length because, you know, the speed of sound...it can cause a noticeable delay.

I actually had a guy in Radio Shack tell me that in all seriousness once. Got a good laugh.
And we all know that the high notes go down the wire faster than the low notes. Bwahahahahah.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:54 PM   #40
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation AlyKat Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

Oh yeah & if your wire is kinked you can bend a note to make it travel faster thru the kink

I got an A in physics (electricity & magnetism) at MSU. No lie