Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 10-22-2017, 04:57 PM   #1
mrbarolo

mrbarolo Just getting started
Default Epiphone question

Mine is the old, sad story: played at a high- intermediate level when young. Drifted away. Now upper middle aged and would like to try again before i croak. Looking for something decent enough to enjoy, but not the equivalent of a mid-life crisis sports car, i.e. way more than an old duffer needs.
For my tastes and pocket book, the Epi Sheraton II, and the Dot seem to get consistently good reviews for quality/value. They also seem very similar.
Anyone care to comment on what the differences are in feel, tone, style, etc.?
mrbarolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #2
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find many players on here that are middle aged re-starters, including myself..

I have an Epiphone SG that I think is a great guitar, it came with decent pickups and hardware from the factory, so I'm sure that most Epiphones are the same when it comes to good build quality.

Sorry I can't help with any info on the Dot's and Sheratons but a few guys on here have them and from what I've read they are worth the $$ and sound good with stock hardware.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Oldie here too. I also have an Epi SG Special- almost gave it away, but decided it plays and sounds great.

I personally don't like the very large body of the Dot, and wasn't impressed by the pickups, but we all have our own tastes. I've never played a Sheraton.

I have this as well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...EaArjOEALw_wcB but I bought it used but mint from ebay. Many consider it a smaller 335 (or Dot).

These days, you can get a great, playable guitar that won't bankrupt you.

If you need an amp, I HIGHLY recommend the Katana 50 watt solid state.

Welcome back to the world of guitaring. It's never too late!

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM   #4
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

I've owned a couple of Epis; an LP and a 339. If you intend to play them as they are, then they are fine instruments for the money.

IMO though, the PRS SE models (for solid bodies) and the Ibanez Artcore models (for semi-hollow) are a step up in quality. They are a little more expensive than Epi, but definitely not top dollar by any stretch.

Ibanez has models that are directly comparable to the DOT (335). Sheraton is obviously an Epi original that nobody else will have a copy of.

The best favor you can do for yourself is to get out and play as many different of those and similar guitars as you can find. Preferably thru the same make/model amp you own or intend to own.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
mrbarolo

mrbarolo Just getting started

Thanks for all the tips. I had read a bit about the artcore and PRS models. Also good things about the entry-level D'angelicos. Still more expensive than Epi. Need to get to a store. And a teacher.
mrbarolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbarolo View Post
Thanks for all the tips. I had read a bit about the artcore and PRS models. Also good things about the entry-level D'angelicos. Still more expensive than Epi. Need to get to a store. And a teacher.
And an amp. The Katana, as suggested by Silimtao, gets good reviews. I'm an oldie, but I never gave up playing. However, it took me a very long time to get into electrics because I was paying too much attention to the guitar and not enough to the amp.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I have an Artcore AG-95- it's beautiful, but doesn't get enough play. There's lower priced ones in the Artcore (same electronics as mine) line, that sound just as good; I spend extra for the cosmetics really.

The PRS(edit) standard series guitars are their lowest priced ones (I have a Custom Se) that sound fantastic, but you seem to be leaning towards hollow/semi-hollow?

You should have seen this beautiful D'Angelico on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of The Day- was selling for half price- $700. Was gorgeous.

The PRS is the best crafted guitar I've ever had. If you call someplace like sweetwater.com they'll likely give you a price break. I got mine for about $620, when the list price was about $750.

I'd suggest setting your budget, and let that be your guide.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.

Last edited by Silimtao; 10-22-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #8
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
IMO though, the PRS SE models (for solid bodies) and the Ibanez Artcore models (for semi-hollow) are a step up in quality. They are a little more expensive than Epi, but definitely not top dollar by any stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
The PRS is the best crafted guitar I've ever had. If you call someplace like sweetwater.com they'll likely give you a price break. I got mine for about $620, when the list price was about $750.

I'd suggest setting your budget, and let that be your guide.
I agree with Bob and Slim that the PRS SE is the best "bang for the buck" as compared to current Epiphones, mostly because I feel that they pay more attention to neck prep and general fit and finish.
They're also a great platform for modding, if thats your thing.

If a semi-hollow is what you're after, I also agree with Bob regarding the Ibanez Artcore being overall a nicer guitar than an Epi, and the semi-hollow PRS's in the SE line are no slouch either.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I agree with the PRS SE line as well. It's easy to get used but like new models on Ebay/Reverb at very good prices. I got one for $440 including shipping (used).

The 335 and clones are very large guitars. Make sure you try one out first to see if you like something that large. If you are looking for a hollowbody you might also consider a used (but like new) Godin Kingpin.
Seattle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #10
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

My story reads a lot like yours. Played a lot in my teens and twenties, then quit when I got married and had a family. Many years later, decided to play again. I had a Gibson SG whenI was young, but the cost of a Gibson was just more than I wanted to spend. I read a lot of good things about the Epiphone Dot, so I bought a used one. I couldn't be happier. The guitars you can find today in the $400 to $600 range (new) are light years better than the low priced stuff of the 60's and 70's.

And, welcome to the forum!
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote