Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 07-16-2017, 06:39 PM   #1
Junix12

Junix12 Just getting started
Question Playing 2 guitars at the same time through a single amplifier using a mixer.

Hello. I was thinking about buying a small mixer to try to play 2 guitars at the same time through a single amplifier. My friend has a weaker amplifier than mine and I want us to be on equal ground.

Do you guys think it will sound good? Or should I keep the current set-up we have?
Junix12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Way back in the 60's when nobody had any money, we did that a lot. It works but don't get the idea that its a good thing to do. We did it out of necessity. As soon as we could afford separate amps, we got 'em. The problem you are going to run into is both instruments are going to be forced to use the same tone control and one of the instruments is going to sound like crap. If you get a mixer that has tone controls for each input, then it will sound better. The more instruments you plug into one amp, the more unwanted distortion you are going to get. Only do it if you have no other choice. Some of us even used home stereo amps with a good set of speakers and turned on the MONO switch. As a matter of fact, I sometimes play through a 4 channel mixer into my computer which is hooked up to an 80 watt JVC stereo and has four 15" speakers, two 10" speakers, four Horn Tweeters, and four 6" midrange speakers. You can hear it 2 blocks away.
PKVeazey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:32 PM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

How much is the "small mixer"? You might be able to buy used at a pawnshop.
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

You can find a 4 channel mixer with 4 volume controls but no tone controls for $25 and up. If you want tone controls on each channel, you're going to have to pay up. Probably $75 or more. Do a Internet search for 4 channel mixer and see what pops up. You might get lucky and find something under $50.
PKVeazey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
LaPanthere

LaPanthere Just getting started

Personally I'd ask forst what's the difference of your amps - if one has a 50W and the other a 100W it doesn't really matter because it's loud enough for both to survive

alos check the price of low cost amps used like Bugera - they offer an excellent sound for very low $$$ - even it's surely more expensive than $75 it's an investment for years to come
Old 07-17-2017, 04:38 AM   #6
hippychip

hippychip Just getting started

Why don't you just turn yours down?
Old 07-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I don't have experience with your intended method, however I do know that two guitars into the same amp reduces output significantly of both guitars. Maybe with the mixer that is eliminated, I really don't know.

I was in that demographic that was short on money and long on desire, and we would at least jam through one amp, never really getting what we wanted.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parralax view View Post
I don't have experience with your intended method, however I do know that two guitars into the same amp reduces output significantly of both guitars. Maybe with the mixer that is eliminated, I really don't know.

I was in that demographic that was short on money and long on desire, and we would at least jam through one amp, never really getting what we wanted.
Passive mixing of two guitars would be functionally similar two pickup coils in parallel, the output would be less, and there would, I guess, also be tonal effects, as in a pickup. Shouldn't an active mixer should compensate for that?
Tony Done is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:20 AM   #9
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

;-) I guess you missed the "I really don't know part"...I really don't as I've never tried it. I was just speaking from old experience.