Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 02-12-2018, 04:33 PM   #1
grousehunter49

grousehunter49 Just getting started
Default Peavey Classic 30 Reverb

My reverb don,t work, took out the tank and could,nt find anything wrong..is this ran by a tube? how can I check the leads to see if there,s any current coming through them, Thanks mybe beyond my cap.....ity.
grousehunter49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #2
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

I had one for a long time and I don't think it's a tube reverb. You might check the rca connectors and see if any wires are broken or pulled off. Could be a bad tank but if not then you are going to have to get into the pc board.

I'd try the peavey amp forum below, there's a few experts that will hook you up with tons of info.

https://peavey.com/forum/viewforum.p...c79d314cc84005
Old 02-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Yes, if it's a 'tank' as in, a spring reverb in the bottom of the amp, then it's a spring reverb. you can have a broken spring, bad connection, or something in the preamp where it sends and receives the signal going and coming from the reverb.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts Z. Wolf Has Anal Warts

If I remember correctly, the tank was in a vinyl bag on the bottom of the chassis that wasn't attached very well and could get bumped easily enough to loosen or break the small lead wires and connectors. I'd check there first. Great amps, I played mine a ton for 6 -7 years, and it was well used when I got it and other than a few bad tubes, I never had any problems with it.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #5
grousehunter49

Default Classic 30 reverb

5 min walk from my house there,s a guy (Doc,s guitar shop) he tested my tank and found a hair like wire broken,reached under the counter pulled out another tank...here he said go home and try this one I did, it worked...cut the vinyl back out of a chair,wrapped it around the tank and hot glued it.Went back to shop to pay him $20 he said.....I love a happy ending.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:16 PM   #6
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Awesome, now just replace that Blue Marvel speaker and you'll love it even more!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #7
grousehunter49

Default classic 30 reverb

Actually it came with a British Vintage series..Mojo speaker.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 AM   #8
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Not all Peavey Classic 30's shipped with a Blue Marvel speaker. If you look at the specs for the C-30 on Peavey's web site, they currently list the speaker as a Celestion Midnight 60 and I think there was a different speaker used for a while between the Blue Marvel and the Midnight 60, but I'm not sure exactly which speaker that was.

There were some other changes to the C-30. Early C-30's do not have a standby power switch, later ones do. Early C-30's only have a single footswitch socket, later ones have two footswitch sockets, one for channel select and boost on/off, and another socket for reverb on/off. Early C-30's didn't ship with a protection cage for the tubes/valves, later ones did.

Peavey also makes the C-30 in China and that one has a different speaker as well, a "Stephens Tru-Sonic".
https://www.kosmic.com.au/assets/alt...ASSIC30112.jpg

The moral of the story, not all Classic 30's are exactly the same. Peavey have changed the speaker several times and there have been some other design changes over time as well.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:45 AM   #9
Z. Wolf
Central Scrutinizer

Glad to hear the Blue Marvel has been changed already..Most of the Classic 30's came with them and once changed out with a decent replacement the amp would sound really great as you probably know. I've offered up the old Blue Marvel for free on CL and never had a response.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:48 AM   #10
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

speaking of speakers, I need to buy one for my Peavey. I guess I should power it up and make sure it works first, haven't used it for 12 years. But, right now only has one 12 in it, the other one bought the farm years ago. mine uses Peavey Scorpion 12's in it, so will probably get another one of those, or the Black Widow 12.
(black widow though is spendy, like $131.00 bucks, ouch, almost as much as buying a whole new amp, like a Boss Katana for just 90 more.. hmmmm... that makes me think...)