Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus Just getting started
Default Amp/FX modeler questions....

Hey Everyone,
I am looking at getting an amp/effect modeller for both home and live use. Iíve been looking at a few different options and have narrowed it down to these:

Mustang Gt-200: most affordable, have actually played it and listened to it, and from my point of view it would be more than sufficient sound quality wise, but not sure how versitile it would be live... Does anyone have experience using it for a gig?

Line 6 Helix Lt or HeadRush: both of these seem like they would be awesome! Theyíre quite a bit more expensive but is the extra money worth it? This is mostly going to be used at home with the occasional gig, I do a lot of home recording, but again, just for fun. Iím serious about it, but itís a hobby not a profession.

I do not currently have an amp, as Iíve been playing acoustic (micíd) or straight into my interface with my electric... so thatís another benefit to the mustang, kind of. But the helix/HeadRush can go direct into a pa... any help in choosing would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nelmarticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I have a friend who buys every damn guitar toy that comes out and have had the opportunity to see him using them. They all work fine but some of them have so much extra, unnecessary crap on them that they are difficult to use. Find something that does what you want, doesn't have a bunch of things on it that you never plan to use, and pay as little as possible for it because later on, you're going to find the next toy that blows you away and you're not going to be able to live without it.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:05 PM   #3
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

I understand you're looking at solid/tube or solid state modeling amps. I have used a variety of modeling amps in the past and they all seem to get underused. I recently bought a straight tube amp. 4 channels (kinda) and no modeling. I love it so much more than any modeling amp I have used. You can put any stomp box in front of it you want. The pure tone is just nice. I suggest you try a few not what you're looking for ideas. Try a bare bones tube amp with various effects in the loop or in front. You can get an incredible range of sounds from just that. I personally have ditched all pedals other than an original crybaby.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

Modelers can be a bit tricky to get satisfying tones from them. If you plan on using amp modeling, plugging them into a guitar amp doesn't work too well...the resulting sound is harsh no matter how "flat" you set the guitar amp. You can plug them into your PC and listen though monitors, but that can be unsatisfying too...you don't get that "large sound" you can only experience from a guitar amp.

I use both.

What's interesting today are the modeling amps. I use a Boss GT-100 and I am quite happy with it. That technology has been put into the Boss Katana amps. I haven't used one myself, but folks gush about them. That merges the best of both worlds. You can get foot pedals to connect to the Katana so you can manage effects like a regular pedal board.

I don't have any experience with the Helix or Headrush, but Line 6 has a decent reputation and Headrush comes from the company that originally developed the Eleven Rack, which is a nice bit of gear too.

A quick google shows the Fender GT200 to be very similar to the Boss Katana. I'd say try one out in a store and see what you think! An integrated solution like that is probably your best bet and gives you the most flexibility (can be used live and to record).
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I gig with my Fender Mustang and people love the Guns and Roses sound from the amp. The Vox 30 emulation is my favorite. The chorus effect is pretty nice, I use it sometimes - it mimics a 12 string guitar sound.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 PM   #6
flake_E_lee
Blues orientated rocker

flake_E_lee Just getting started

Im using one of the old line6 vetta 2 combo amps.Its a 2 x 12 amp of 150watts anf it has the twin stereo xlr outputs for the pa which i put to full use.
The unique thing about it is its dual head modelling.
It has 74 amp models and you can use 2 at once.
so,for exmple,I could have a fender twin and a marshall jcm900 both running at the same time.
Great piece of kit for me as I play many genres
flake_E_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:28 AM   #7
Nelmarticus

Hey, Everyone, I really appreciate all the feedback. After doing more research online, and narrowing it down between the Mustang GT200, or the HeadRush, I got a chance to spend about an hour with the HeadRush today and man, oh man... not only does it sounds amazing, but it was it is super easy to use, I do a have quite a bit of knowledge in audio production, but I think even a coomplete newb could use this thing out of the box. I was building and running completely new rigs from scratch in minutes, I can incorporate it with the pedals I already have, it can plug direct into a PA/mixer/interface... I had already spent some time with the GT and this thing blows it out of the water. I realize I am fan-boying out right now, but I was having so much fun with it... I’ll have to wait another two weeks, to cover the price difference, but I can’t wait!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:52 AM   #8
rudos1
the Deuce

rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts rudos1 Has Anal Warts

Try the Vox Valvetronix amps. In My opinion the best modelers and they can be had for cheap used on CL...
Black modded strat, Epi SG, White Epi Wilshire Pro,Tubeworks Tube Driver TD-752 1X12 combo, ,SG copy from kit, Mesa Boogie 50 Caliber+, Hot Wheels Strat, Marshall MG100HDFX , Vox VT20+,Applause AE25, Laguna Bass
rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #9
Desmond
Weekend Warrior

Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I picked up a Kemper recently. Its absurd. The tones you can pull out of this thing are next level. Downside is that its a bit spendy but when you consider just how many profiles and companies are out there that make professional grade profiles of big buck amplifiers (Dumble, Friedman, etc), it really starts to look like a steal.

The Kemper and the Axe FX are just about as good as it gets when it comes to modeling. However, software solutions are perfectly viable after some tweaking. Bias and Guitar Rig are incredible value and can sound amazing if you know what you're doing.

Live to love others and better their lives, or die knowing you wasted your own.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:25 PM   #10
Nelmarticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
I picked up a Kemper recently. Its absurd. The tones you can pull out of this thing are next level. Downside is that its a bit spendy but when you consider just how many profiles and companies are out there that make professional grade profiles of big buck amplifiers (Dumble, Friedman, etc), it really starts to look like a steal.

The Kemper and the Axe FX are just about as good as it gets when it comes to modeling. However, software solutions are perfectly viable after some tweaking. Bias and Guitar Rig are incredible value and can sound amazing if you know what you're doing.
Thanks, for the feedback. I have been looking at the kempler, but for what I want itís just too much. I have had a chance to spend more time with the HeadRush, and it has exactly what I need, as far as connections to my existing setup, and how I want to incorporate what I use. Iím also very happy with the modeling and IR capability. Iíll post more after I e had a chance to play with it. Ill get it in a couple weeks.🙂