Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #21
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethB View Post
One detail with the editing app (Boss Tone Studio) for katana amps that I didn't mention.

The Boss Tone Studio app needs another app from Adobe called "Adobe Air". If your computer doesn't have Adobe Air, Boss Tone Studio apparently forces the install procedure to get a copy of Adobe Air and installs it. I had a situation where Adobe Air didn't install correctly on my PC, but as far as my PC was concerned it was installed. The Boss Tone Studio install kept failing because Adobe Air was not installed properly on my PC.

It took a while to figure out what the problem was, but I eventually uninstalled Adobe Air, then re-installed it directly from the Adobe web site, then installed Boss Tone Studio and everything worked the way it's supposed to.

You don't have to use Boss Tone Studio, you can use the amp without the app, but there are multiple features inside the amp that cannot be accessed without the app.

If you want to use the app, my advice is install Adobe Air separately first.
https://get.adobe.com/air/
Then install Boss Tone Studio.
Thanks for the heads-up on that!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:51 AM   #22
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
One detail with the editing app (Boss Tone Studio) for katana amps that I didn't mention.

The Boss Tone Studio app needs another app from Adobe called "Adobe Air". If your computer doesn't have Adobe Air, Boss Tone Studio apparently forces the install procedure to get a copy of Adobe Air and installs it. I had a situation where Adobe Air didn't install correctly on my PC, but as far as my PC was concerned it was installed. The Boss Tone Studio install kept failing because Adobe Air was not installed properly on my PC.

It took a while to figure out what the problem was, but I eventually uninstalled Adobe Air, then re-installed it directly from the Adobe web site, then installed Boss Tone Studio and everything worked the way it's supposed to.

You don't have to use Boss Tone Studio, you can use the amp without the app, but there are multiple features inside the amp that cannot be accessed without the app.

If you want to use the app, my advice is install Adobe Air separately first.
https://get.adobe.com/air/

Then install Boss Tone Studio.
http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

There is a different version of Boss Tone Studio for each model of the Katana amp. Make sure you pick the version for your model.
Thank's so much for this note. I've been considering getting a Katana but didn't realize its software was AIR based. No way that's going on my laptop. AIR is pretty much Flash but without the safety wrapping of a browser. SMH
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:20 AM   #23
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawgsByte View Post
Thank's so much for this note. I've been considering getting a Katana but didn't realize its software was AIR based. No way that's going on my laptop. AIR is pretty much Flash but without the safety wrapping of a browser. SMH
I have an old laptop just sitting there. Iím thinking wiping it clean and using it as a dedicated PC just for music.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:32 AM   #24
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

BigDawg, I'm aware of one 3rd party Katana editor currently under ongoing development, and as far as I know it doesn't use Air. The person developing this new editor is a mod on the VGuitar forums called "Gumtown". His editor has versions for PC, Mac and Linux.

This isn't Gumtown's first time doing a project like this, he has developed several other editor apps for Roland/Boss products. I have his editor for the Roland GR-55 guitar synth and while I haven't used it extensively, I do like it so far (and I know it doesn't use Air).

Here's a thread specifically about Gumtown's katana editor. There is a link to a download site for it in the first post of the thread.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/in...?topic=20625.0

Boss released a new version of Boss Tone Studio for katana amps on Jan 31. Gumtown's last post in that thread was on Feb 4, mentioning that he is comparing the new BTS to his own editor to see if there is anything new he needs to add to his editor, so he is staying on top of new updates from Boss, he just needs a bit of time to get the updates and look at them to develop whatever changes his editor might need.

Last edited by GarethB; 02-07-2018 at 03:59 AM.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #25
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I have an old laptop just sitting there. Iím thinking wiping it clean and using it as a dedicated PC just for music.
Thanks, but I've been that route and wasn't happy. Too many laptops to keep up to date etc. My somewhat new MacBook Pro has also completely spoiled me, I hate using anything else and can't afford another.

Quote:
BigDawg, I'm aware of one 3rd party Katana editor currently under ongoing development, and as far as I know it doesn't use Air. The person developing this new editor is a mod on the VGuitar forums called "Gumtown". His editor isn't just for PC and Mac, he also has versions for Android and tablets.

This isn't Gumtown's first time doing a project like this, he has developed several other editor apps for Roland/Boss products. I have his editor for the Roland GR-55 guitar synth and while I haven't used it extensively, I do like it so far (and I know it doesn't use Air).

Here's a thread specifically about Gumtown's katana editor. There is a link to a download site for it in the first post of the thread.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/in...?topic=20625.0

Boss released a new version of Boss Tone Studio for katana amps on Jan 31. Gumtown's last post in that thread was on Feb 4, mentioning that he is comparing the new BTS to his own editor to see if there is anything new he needs to add to his editor, so he is staying on top of new updates from Boss, he just needs a bit of time to get the updates and look at them to develop whatever changes his editor might need.
Thanks, thats' cool. I'll check it out.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote