Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-31-2018, 06:27 AM   #11
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

There are a Brazillion(that's more than a Gazillion) amps that will fill the bill and not cost a lot, so I won't try to list a bunch. I'll just say this, "You can make a CLEAN sounding amp sound dirty but you can't make DIRTY sounding amp sound clean." Find something that's clean, loud and inexpensive.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Awesome! Let us know how you feel about it when you get it! And the most difficult part is... waiting...
I will LBB. The waiting part will be easy as I won’t be home for two more weeks (Tug Boat Capt). It will be there when I get home.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:34 PM   #13
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Katana 50. Got a cable on the way too for the computer connection.
My neighbors are going to hate me!
I want a Katana 50. I wanna be your neighbor.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:37 PM   #14
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Quote:
I went ahead and ordered the Katana 50.
Great choice! You're gonna love it. Welcome to world of electric guitars and GAS.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:32 PM   #15
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Quote:
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Katana 50. Got a cable on the way too for the computer connection.
My neighbors are going to hate me!
Your neighbours may not hate you. One feature all Boss Katana and many other newer amps have is "power scaling" where you can change the power rating of the amp. All Katana amps can be set to run at 0.5 watts, which is fairly quiet and shouldn't annoy anyone unless you have paper thin walls. You can also plug in a set of headphones so that no one will hear you (not all amps can do this but it's becoming more common with new amps).

If you are going to use headphones, make sure they have a reasonably long cable, or buy some sort of extension cable for them.

One more piece of advice about the Katana amps. They can have their capabilities updated with downloadable software updates. There was an official update released late last year that added several new capabilities, but depending on when your amp was built and shipped from the factory, it might not have the newest update installed on it. There is also an official app that you can install/run on a home computer to edit and save the amp's internal settings to help you get the most out of the amp. Some features/settings of the amp can only be changed with this app.

Here is the official Roland/Boss page telling you how to check which software version your amp has, and it has a link to download and install the newest version if your amp is using an older version of software. The editing app, called Boss Tone Studio is also available from the same site. https://www.boss.info/global/support...-d85f505aac7f/
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #16
Desmond
Weekend Warrior

Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Desmond The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Its a solid state amp. The disparity between how good it sounds at bedroom levels and how good it sounds cranked is far less than that of a tube amp.

I had the 100w version for a bit and it did bedroom levels just fine. Good piece of kit.

Live to love others and better their lives, or die knowing you wasted your own.
Desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:15 AM   #17
Cobra

I had a little time on my hands today so I headed over to GC to check out a Fender Strat that I have been wanting since the electric guitar bug bit me. Maple neck, Maple fretboard and a blonde body and imagine that! They had one. But lo and behold they also had a Katana 100! I plugged the guitar in, turned on the amp and it was love at first strum on both accounts! I can tell I’m really going to like my 50. That amp is just awesome!
Now to start saving for that Blonde Strat...
Old 02-06-2018, 04:41 AM   #18
Cobra

Update-
The wife called and said “your amp is here”!
The wait continues...
Old 02-06-2018, 05:59 AM   #19
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Congratulations! I told ya, them Katanas are so lovely!

Now... I'm gas'ing for one...
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:24 AM   #20
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

One detail with the editing app (Boss Tone Studio) for katana amps that I didn't mention.

The Boss Tone Studio app needs another app from Adobe called "Adobe Air". If your computer doesn't have Adobe Air, Boss Tone Studio apparently forces the install procedure to get a copy of Adobe Air and installs it. I had a situation where Adobe Air didn't install correctly on my PC, but as far as my PC was concerned it was installed. The Boss Tone Studio install kept failing because Adobe Air was not installed properly on my PC.

It took a while to figure out what the problem was, but I eventually uninstalled Adobe Air, then re-installed it directly from the Adobe web site, then installed Boss Tone Studio and everything worked the way it's supposed to.

You don't have to use Boss Tone Studio, you can use the amp without the app, but there are multiple features inside the amp that cannot be accessed without the app.

If you want to use the app, my advice is install Adobe Air separately first.
https://get.adobe.com/air/

Then install Boss Tone Studio.
http://bosstonecentral.com/liveset/category/katana/

There is a different version of Boss Tone Studio for each model of the Katana amp. Make sure you pick the version for your model.

Last edited by GarethB; 02-07-2018 at 02:38 AM.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote