Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-30-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started
Default I need an amp

I found a Marshall MG30CFC for $199.00 and free shipping. Is this a good deal or should I be looking for something different? Ideas and or thoughts?
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Everyone speaks highly of the Boss Katana amps. You should check them out. I have a Fender Super Champ X2 and like it a lot. The modeling amps give you a lot of flexibility with tone and built-in effects.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:02 PM   #3
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I found a Marshall MG30CFC for $199.00 and free shipping. Is this a good deal or should I be looking for something different? Ideas and or thoughts?
I was totally underwhelmed by every solid state Marshall amp I've tried. Everyone does a better job at the Marshall tone than Marshall.

It really depends on what sort of tone you want and at what volumes and what budget.

For about the same price you can buy a Boss Katana 50w. It's a MUCH better amp in every way, if you ask me. Also, the effects are built in to the amp and super easy to use. So, you can skip the Zoom Mfx Pedal.

The Katana 50w, IMO, does bedroom levels all the way up to small gigs and sound good. I bought the 100w version but they are nearly identical.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:20 PM   #4
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

There are more small, affordable amps with built in effects than I can poke a truckload of sticks at. If I tried to write a list of them all, I'd be typing all day on this post and still not mention all of them.

Instead I'll post a link to an article that compares 11 different beginner level amps, most of them with built in effects and all of them have a linked demo video.
https://www.guitarworld.com/gear/11-...amps-under-300

Amp choice is quite personal. I prefer certain sounds and as a result prefer amps that have those types of sounds. Other people may prefer different sounds and as a result prefer different amps, so an amp that I think sounds great and suits the sounds I want, may be not a good choice for someone else who prefers different sounds.

Having said that, amps that can do a wide variety of different sounds are getting better. More and more companies have a range of small affordable amps that can do many different sounds reasonably well and have built in effects. I bought a Boss Katana 100 watt head almost a year ago and I'm quite happy with it's sounds and the price I paid for it.
GarethB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:01 AM   #5
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
For about the same price you can buy a Boss Katana 50w. It's a MUCH better amp in every way, if you ask me. Also, the effects are built in to the amp and super easy to use. So, you can skip the Zoom Mfx Pedal.

The Katana 50w, IMO, does bedroom levels all the way up to small gigs and sound good. I bought the 100w version but they are nearly identical.
Agree with this. Get the Katana 50, return the Zoom G1On. It's all you need, it's an mfx and amplifier all-in-one at only $219.99 at Sweetwater. If you are lucky, you could find an Open Box item for less.

I have nothing bad to say about the Zoom G1On. In fact, I am getting one myself because it is cheap enough for me to leave at school and not always ripping off my GT-1 off my pedal board. I started a Rock Band Club for the kids at my school. It is a hassle bringing my guitar and pedal board every week. The G1On should be small enough to leave in my guitar bag pocket, or just leave it at school.

What do you play by the way? Coz, it can be a growling bad boy too!

littlebadboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:51 AM   #6
Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Agree with this. Get the Katana 50, return the Zoom G1On. It's all you need, it's an mfx and amplifier all-in-one at only $219.99 at Sweetwater. If you are lucky, you could find an Open Box item for less.

I have nothing bad to say about the Zoom G1On. In fact, I am getting one myself because it is cheap enough for me to leave at school and not always ripping off my GT-1 off my pedal board. I started a Rock Band Club for the kids at my school. It is a hassle bringing my guitar and pedal board every week. The G1On should be small enough to leave in my guitar bag pocket, or just leave it at school.

What do you play by the way? Coz, it can be a growling bad boy too!

Thanks for posting the videos and I think you are right about this Boss amp. It looks and sounds like what I am looking for.
What do I play? I’m just learning how to play the electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic guitar for a while.

BTY- I haven’t ordered the Zoom just yet. I was thinking of buying it and the amp at the same time.
Old 01-31-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
Thanks for posting the videos and I think you are right about this Boss amp. It looks and sounds like what I am looking for.
What do I play? Iím just learning how to play the electric guitar. I have been playing acoustic guitar for a while.

BTY- I havenít ordered the Zoom just yet. I was thinking of buying it and the amp at the same time.
If it was me, I would go for the Boss GT-1 and a small PA amp for versatlity. You can use the PA fir your acoustic too.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:29 AM   #8
Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
If it was me, I would go for the Boss GT-1 and a small PA amp for versatlity. You can use the PA fir your acoustic too.
I’m really new to this and have limited knowledge on how these things work. So I think I’ll keep it simple and just buy the Katana 50 for now.
Thank you for your help.

Last edited by Cobra; 01-31-2018 at 03:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 AM   #9
Cobra

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I went ahead and ordered the Katana 50. Got a cable on the way too for the computer connection.
My neighbors are going to hate me!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:15 AM   #10
littlebadboy

Awesome! Let us know how you feel about it when you get it! And the most difficult part is... waiting...