Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 01-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #1
Mikecollins4

Mikecollins4 Just getting started
Question Gibson Es-175 for lead rock or les paul?

Since I was little I dreamed of having a 175 because Izzy stradlin from Gnr. I've been playing for years now and can finally afford one but it seems they are "jazz" guitars. Every person I ask seems to turn me away from the guitar... I play lead a lot now and mainly blues and rock with a little jazz now and again. I'm worried about feedback and less fret availability plus it having a big bass sound. Why does izzy sound so amazing but I get told it's not for rock?

I'm in a hard debate on this guitar or a les paul custom
No access to either guitar at a store or anything all comments help
Neither guitar is cheap I don't want to make a bad decision out of
Simple luster for the guitar because izzy at the Ritz so....

I play. Gnr, acdc, Aerosmith, Ted nugent, BB King, delta blues, hendrix, little jazz stuff.... Mostly improvise my own rock/blues leads and rhythm...
Mikecollins4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I'd get the 175 since that seems to be what you really want. It's not going to have a big bass sound. It won't feedback if you don't have the gain all the way up while standing right in front of the amp. It's a semi-hollow anyway isn't it?
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Mikecollins4

It is a full hollow body. Laminated top
Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I have a full hollow-body with laminated top and I have no problems in that regard. I'm not in a band and only play at home but unless you are into metal I don't think it would be a problem.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
Mikecollins4

I'm not a metal high distortion player so I'm feeling better. I'm appreciating the reply. I really want to hear from full hollow body owners who crank it up and play hard rock. You can't get on YouTube and really see it. It's all clean or jazz. I wish someone would post a video just playing some classic rock riffs cranked for us izzy fans lol
Old 01-29-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecollins4 View Post
Since I was little I dreamed of having a 175 because Izzy stradlin from Gnr. I've been playing for years now and can finally afford one but it seems they are "jazz" guitars. Every person I ask seems to turn me away from the guitar... I play lead a lot now and mainly blues and rock with a little jazz now and again. I'm worried about feedback and less fret availability plus it having a big bass sound. Why does izzy sound so amazing but I get told it's not for rock?

I'm in a hard debate on this guitar or a les paul custom
No access to either guitar at a store or anything all comments help
Neither guitar is cheap I don't want to make a bad decision out of
Simple luster for the guitar because izzy at the Ritz so....

I play. Gnr, acdc, Aerosmith, Ted nugent, BB King, delta blues, hendrix, little jazz stuff.... Mostly improvise my own rock/blues leads and rhythm...
Any goes with anything. Seriously, if it works for you it works. There are no rules!!
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Mikecollins4

I can dig it
Old 01-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #8
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

If you can afford it and want it then go for it. Only you can decide - or your other half should you have one who could have different thoughts on the matter.

I could have got a Gibby but for me I decided on the Epiphone ES-175 Premium which has Gibson USA ‘57 Classic humbuckers.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
Mikecollins4

Think I'm gonna go for it. If it's not all I dreamed it be guess I can trade in or something. I wont ever be happy till I personally play one i guess
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 PM   #10
Mikecollins4

I just love hearing from full hollow body owners and there experience for the rock world it seems lacking on info