Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 01-29-2018, 10:52 AM   #1
arctic_fox
Pre-Beginner Guitarist

arctic_fox Just getting started
Default Learning Chords... Kinda... iDK

I've been trying to learn one simple, basic, easy, chord (Emaj) for like, a week now, and I feel like I'm not getting very far. Should it take this long?

I still have to "walk" my fingers across the strings to get them in the right position.
Are you suppose to be able to just put your fingers on the frets all at once without looking or touching the strings to feel where to put your fingers (which ruins the sound)?

Also, holding a chord for too long hurts my wrist, does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

I'd appreciate some tips on learning chords.
arctic_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It's normal to have to place the fingers one at a time initially. What helps is to make the chord shape on the strings. Then lift your fingers slightly. Maybe 1/4" for a couple seconds. The press them back onto the strings. Repeat often. This will help you with the muscle memory of the shape of he chord.

Soreness on the fingertips is common for the first few weeks of playing. If you wrist hurts, you may be squeezing to hard or have you wrist at an awkward angle. I can't really tell without seeing it.

Checkout out https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-0...nersCourse.php for more information or consider a few lessons with a teacher in your area.

Last edited by DanRode; 01-29-2018 at 01:44 PM.
DanRode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

We've all been there, it just takes time and practice. Sore wrist is usually caused by having the neck angle to your body too low.

Watch some videos of classical guitar players to get an idea of correct neck angle.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM   #4
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Arctic, frustration is one of the big things about learning guitar. The important thing is stay with it and be patient. It will come to you, it takes time and to some it takes longer than others. I took me for ever to get where I wanted and still struggle but it does get better.....
Old 01-29-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Eventually, muscle memory will take over and the chord changes become automatic. I still have frustration with some jazz chords that are intricate and hard to make quickly and I've been at it for almost 6 decades.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #6
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

I had nobody to show me anything when I was first learning. After three years I could play 12 chords with no problem at all. If I had someone to show me, I could have been to that level in about 2 months. When I studied guitar a bit later, the first thing I was taught was to nail my thumb to the back of the neck and use it as a pivot point. Rolling into your chords is the surest way to end up holding the chords correctly. Try not to put a death grip on the chords and some of that fingertip pain will be avoided. The early part of learning the guitar is not fun but the reward is great after you get past the hard part.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 PM   #7
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

^^^ This. Try as hard as you can to have the lightest touch possible while still making full chords. THAT takes practice, but your chords come out cleaner fuller and with less sharp strings that are pushed down too hard.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

After you make that chord about 10,000 times it happens quickly, precisely and without looking. You will have an almost unreal sense of the fingerboard. It is as if your hands know where to go without thinking.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 11:06 PM   #9
phingerboard
Dung Foo Master

phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions phingerboard has cryptic excretions

It may take months at first to be able to grip a few chords with ease. Things will not always be this difficult, though. At some juncture new chord shapes will only take a few tries to get down pat.

Something a wise teacher once said to me: "The 'easy' stuff can be difficult at first, but it becomes easy with practice. By the same token, the difficult stuff also becomes easy with practice."
Old 02-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
Christian Becker

Christian Becker Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_fox View Post
I've been trying to learn one simple, basic, easy, chord (Emaj) for like, a week now, and I feel like I'm not getting very far. Should it take this long?

I still have to "walk" my fingers across the strings to get them in the right position.
Are you suppose to be able to just put your fingers on the frets all at once without looking or touching the strings to feel where to put your fingers (which ruins the sound)?

Also, holding a chord for too long hurts my wrist, does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

I'd appreciate some tips on learning chords.
It's normal that it takes time.
The hurting isn't normal, though. Perhaps you're using your hand in an awkward way or you're using too much power to press the strings down. You should probably pause for a while (at least with that chord) or try another one, like D or a, which are also rather easy.
a is like E, only on the 3rd, 4th and 5th string. Maybe that alone helps with the pain.
Christian Becker is offline   Reply With Quote