Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #21
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Very cool little amp! I'm sure you'll like the all-tube tone. We'll need a full report after you get it broken in. And, as always, pictures or it didn't happen.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #22
PaulF70

PaulF70 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Sighs..... Tries to find something positive to say.....

May you find joy with your new gear.

Peace, love, and goodwill.
Good thing about ordering from Amazon is that I can send it all back if I want.

But what don't you like about the amp?
PaulF70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:23 PM   #23
PaulF70

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Very cool little amp! I'm sure you'll like the all-tube tone. We'll need a full report after you get it broken in. And, as always, pictures or it didn't happen.
To give a real report would require somebody that can actually play a guitar. I could maybe haul it to my first lesson next Tuesday.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 PM   #24
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

if you want a practice amp that will help you learn Gutiar that is to keep you interested try Fender Modular models I used a G Deck 2 months after they started selling them.It was Knowen as a Band in a Box.built in tuner all the different effects you can get. 50 different backing tracks from country Jazz Mettal Punk everything but orcastra. all in different beats.it could model 20 different amps.but it only put out 15 watts .it was a good solid practice amp and it also had a 30 second loop recorder.it was $400
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #25
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF70 View Post
Ok, now come the stupid questions:

- I see no mention of a distortion "channel" in the Blues Jr. Does that mean it doesn't do dirty?
- If not, can/should I use it with an outboard distortion pedal?

I thought (assumed) virtually all practice amps would come with distortion/overdrive built in. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this one lacks it because it's blues-oriented.
On the Blues Jr., you just crank up the volume and that thing will get nasty, real quick. I've got a guitar buddy who plays gigs with one and its loud.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:37 PM   #26
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Good thing about ordering from Amazon is that I can send it all back if I want.

But what don't you like about the amp?
I'll level with you......

The V5 is basically the same category as a Champ or Supro. These used to be the defacto practice amps of the 60's/70's because they were just about the only things that wouldn't result in the police coming to your house. Tonally, the most endearing thing I can say is that they fill a specific niche. Couple that with the fact that you were suckered into a distortion pedal that you don't really need.... The whole situation just makes me a bit melancholy.

On the bright side, you're not the first guitarist in history that's going to start on a Champ + cheap-unnecessary Fuzbox.

My advice would be: Cancel the order. Get a THR10 or a Cube and a high quality quarter inch cable. While learning to play on your THR, pay special attention to which presets you favor and put ~$100 in a coffee can every month.

After your preferences develop.... If you find yourself favoring the AC30, then in ~10 months get an "actual" AC30. If you find yourself favoring the Bassman30, then in ~13 months, get a ~Bassman30.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:31 PM   #27
PaulF70

I'm seriously contemplating getting the THR10 along with the V5. This isn't big money and I have curiosity to satisfy.

Hell, the pedal was $50.

Why all the great reviews of the V5 then, though? Are you insinuating that a lot of people who pontificate on the Internet don't know what they're talking about?

As for the Blues Jr., I concluded that it's far more amp than I need - or possibly can use. I need an amp that can play very quietly for practice when kids are sleeping, etc. The Blues Jr. is a serious amp with no power selection.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM   #28
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

No love for the Katana?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 PM   #29
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Why all the great reviews of the V5 then, though? Are you insinuating that a lot of people who pontificate on the Internet don't know what they're talking about?
The V5 is an inexpensive and and straightforward path when compared to obtaining a Champ/Supro, and it fills that specific niche pretty well for the price. Bonus that it comes with reverb.

Even my personal beefs with the V5 (crappy caps, strange/dangerous PCB layout, cheap speaker, QC issues, tonally anemic) don't even apply to your situation.

What does apply is that you need a tonally rich, versatile, reliable, quiet, portable amplifier to use while learning to play and develop preferences. The THR and Cube fit those requirements. If you add "play with a drummer" to the requirements, I'd change my advice to a Katana or similar offering.

The last aside... When getting into ANY instrument, and you don't know what the F' you're doing and cannot find reliable advice, or receive conflicting advice.... Yamaha is usually a safe default. They've been making not-completely-horrible instruments and gear of all sorts for decades. Wanna learn Saxaphone? Yamaha. Drums? Yamaha. Violin? Yamaha.

Again... The worst case scenario here is that you're stuck learning on a Champ and fuzz box, just like millions of other guitarists have done in the last 60 years. You'll get great, play for 40 years, and then get the pleasure of feeling melancholy as you see someone else making the exact same mistake.

Last edited by KamaK; 01-31-2018 at 11:12 PM.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:08 AM   #30
PaulF70

I am VERY curious about how close to an overdriven tube amp a THR actually gets. Some say almost, some day exactly. To decide for myself I need both.