Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 01-29-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

THR10 is a great little and useful amp. Also got a 5A just for the hell of it.

And while it's not everyone's preference, a while ago I purchased a Vox AC4TV. Simple, neat and OK for me.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #12
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF70 View Post
I settled on a Les Paul Studio - finally - because I love the Les Paul sound for rock and had a demo that taught me it can do jazz at least "Ok." I got a later model with coil splitting which may help with that. I know it won't sound like an ES-175 but that's that.
Despite it's reputation, the LP is a fantastic platform for jazz. I'd recommend watching some GK expositions to hear how diverse they can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHOqYqWPHE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzdUxKqe1oU
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #13
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Quote:
Ok, now come the stupid questions:

- I see no mention of a distortion "channel" in the Blues Jr. Does that mean it doesn't do dirty?
- If not, can/should I use it with an outboard distortion pedal?

I thought (assumed) virtually all practice amps would come with distortion/overdrive built in. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this one lacks it because it's blues-oriented.
The blues Jr has a Volume and a Master, turn up the volume to get the dirt, turn down the master so to keep the wife happy. The big downside with the Jr is no headphone jack, and since you have a family in the house a headphone jack is pretty much a necessity.

My Jr only gets played when everyone is up and moving about. When I want to play at 6am on the weekends, or later in the evening, or when the wife is napping, I use an FX100 modeler/multi-effects floorboard as my headphone amp.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Ok, now come the stupid questions:

- I see no mention of a distortion "channel" in the Blues Jr. Does that mean it doesn't do dirty?
- If not, can/should I use it with an outboard distortion pedal?

I thought (assumed) virtually all practice amps would come with distortion/overdrive built in. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this one lacks it because it's blues-oriented.
I have a guitarist friend who plays clean jazz but also plays some dirty stuff as well. He bought one and got me to order and install the "MOD KIT" that he really didn't need. The Blues Jr. is nice and clean until you crank it up with the guitars volume control turned up, then it gets real dirty real quick. If you like the GRUNT that Blues players all seem to like, then you'll like it and won't need a distortion pedal. If you DIME it out to full volume, it'll distort like crazy and the neighbors on both sides of you will move out of the neighborhood.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I have a guitarist friend who plays clean jazz but also plays some dirty stuff as well. He bought one and got me to order and install the "MOD KIT" that he really didn't need. The Blues Jr. is nice and clean until you crank it up with the guitars volume control turned up, then it gets real dirty real quick. If you like the GRUNT that Blues players all seem to like, then you'll like it and won't need a distortion pedal. If you DIME it out to full volume, it'll distort like crazy and the neighbors on both sides of you will move out of the neighborhood.
Yeah, I found that undocumented aspect in the user manual rather useful.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:55 PM   #16
PaulF70

PaulF70 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Despite it's reputation, the LP is a fantastic platform for jazz. I'd recommend watching some GK expositions to hear how diverse they can be.
I just don't know enough about this art to really know anything I'm saying.. just going by the common opinions I see. But like anything else opinions seem to be all over the map. Many will say you really want a hollow body and I have to admit I really dig that hollow body sound for jazz.

The weird thing about this is that while I listen mostly to jazz for the past 10 years, I really more want to play hard rock on the guitar. That's my feeling as of now.
PaulF70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 PM   #17
PaulF70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith357 View Post
The blues Jr has a Volume and a Master, turn up the volume to get the dirt, turn down the master so to keep the wife happy. The big downside with the Jr is no headphone jack, and since you have a family in the house a headphone jack is pretty much a necessity.

My Jr only gets played when everyone is up and moving about. When I want to play at 6am on the weekends, or later in the evening, or when the wife is napping, I use an FX100 modeler/multi-effects floorboard as my headphone amp.
I got it. Volume is the preamp gain which gives you overdrive and master is the, uh.. volume.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:09 PM   #18
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Fender Mustang 1
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:57 AM   #19
PaulF70

I ordered today: A Bugera V5, and a Boss distortion pedal also.

The Yamaha modeling amp is GREAT advice I am sure but this combo was even cheaper and I know I am gonna want an actual tube amp really quickly.

I did a shitload of reading and listening (on the web) and it was reinforced that you can't get everything in one amp.

I don't really know if I want to concentrate on jazz or rock/metal yet but this amp (with the pedal) will work decently for either.

Heck, $200 is nothing. I can't believe you can buy a tubed guitar amp of any size for that now.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:12 AM   #20
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
I ordered today: A Bugera V5, and a Boss distortion pedal also.
Sighs..... Tries to find something positive to say.....

May you find joy with your new gear.

Peace, love, and goodwill.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote