Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #11
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I highly recommend Zen Guitar.

Squid is a fan of it too. This is why I mentioned focused practice, as opposed to random noodling.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:41 PM   #12
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

If I had the time, I'd spend an hour or more per day on focused practice and another couple hours just playing and noodling. A few minutes to warm up, 15-20 minutes of practice and them maybe 1/2 hour of playing. Repeat a couple times throughout the day and I'd be a happy camper.

IRL, I get about an hour in the evening to do it all. I'm old and was not born with great coordination so my progress is slow.

I love getting up early in the morning and grabbing a cup of coffee and a guitar. I can't do this daily as I need to be up at 5:30 for work. When I'm on vacation, my playing improves much more rapidly.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Morfz

Morfz Just getting started Morfz Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by St.Fill View Post
THATS some real dedication, Morfz. Props for that.

I cant remember the last time I sat for that long with a guitar unless I was working on it.
Hahah, its not hard to manage if its fun I guess but honestly thats the exception. 5 hours is quite rare for me. 2 hours is a good number ive found.

Skickat från min SM-G900F via Tapatalk
Morfz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #14
Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecarey View Post
It's nice to know from my beginners perspective that you can improve just by playing as opposed to sitting down and trying to play what to learn.

At the moment I've been going back to the very basics of chord changing and accuracy through the pentatonic scale as well as a bit of eat training on an app i just purchased. I've also been working on Back in Black and I think the chord changing and accuracy has really helped with my playing!!
I spent many many years, when I was younger, playing this way, and I am not knocking it. But it only took me so far, I stayed in a comfortable place for years, never really expanding my knowledge. It wasn’t until many many years later, after more than a decade not really playing very often, and losing the skills I had grown comfortable with, that I realized the importance of practicing with an intention. As I relearned how to play, I quickly surpaassed my years of comfortable playing and am a FAR better player, in a year and a half of relearning and outgrowing my old self, than I ever was when I thought of myself as a “guitarist” for 10 years.

Keep up with the pentatonic stuff, while “Practicing.” Play what you want while you’re having fun. Good luck!
Nelmarticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Nelmarticus

Nelmarticus Just getting started

On my actual routine... I’m divorced (for a year and a half coincidentally ��) so I have a lot of free time that I’ve dedicated to guitar. So I play A LOT, but my actual practice routine consists of 30-60 minutes, 4-5 times a week, (depending on my mood) of dedicated “learning & skill building.” To not over whelm myself with one subject, I rotate what I work on daily. One day I may work 30 minutes of music theory, and applying it to the fret board, next day I’ll spend an hour on rock rhythms and leads: next day, I’ll work on fingerstyle... etc. I start with about 5 minutes of warm up (in generally always warmed up, as I play so much), and about 10 minutes reviewing what I went over the last practice session, then I’ll spend the rest of my time on the subject of the day. It helps keep things from getting boring and, imo, give my brain time to process the material, while still staying in a musical mode, because I am not over repeating my lessons. It works for me, and like I said, Im divorced so I have a lot of free time, so all I do is work and play guitar, really...
Nelmarticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 12:18 AM   #16
Cowboyfromhell

Cowboyfromhell Just getting started

I'm 2 weeks in to learning and I practice daily for usually an hour. I'm getting better and faster every day
Cowboyfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:26 PM   #17
Guy
Some guy

Guy Just getting started

I usually end cap my day with practice with a metronome and some in the middle I play for fun. The time varies.
Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #18
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

I don't really have a set time or anything, I can go for few days without playing, sometimes its only 20 minutes or so other time I will play for 8-10 hours. I don't warm up, I don't do scales, I did that stuff for the first 25 years, never bothered with theory, nuclear physics makes more sense to me, I just pick it up, and play. If I want to finger out a tune I put it on and work through it. Could be that is why I still suck at guitar after 45 years.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
Bellcose

Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Bellcose The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

It depends. Yup, I do run through scales for about five minutes but then I tend to focus for around ten minutes or so on aspects with which I have difficulty. It could be a specific bar or phrase I get wrong. Then I suppose it's an hour of simply enjoying a piece of music I feel like playing. Has to be fun.
...I don't want to go among mad people Alice remarked, "Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: we're all mad here. I am mad. You're mad." "How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice. "You must be," said the Cat ,"or you wouldn't have come here."
Bellcose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
Gene61

Gene61 Just getting started

Ive been at it for about 2 months now, 10 years ago I played around for 5-6 months.
Its like I never picked up a guitar..its hard! One nice thing is I still have a 10 year old American Strat that still looks new. Its very hard for me, my fingers dont stretch now or back then...
Im retired now also, so Im gonna do this! Ive also been working on a nice place to practice, got my own little studio near complete, sad but true it looks as though Ive been playing for decades, yet I cant play at all ! I havent even tried to learn a song..just chords & finger exorcises.
What I do find very helpful is (Band In A Box) I type in the chords pick a music style & play chords right along with backing tracks. And as mentioned 10 mins of 100% focused practice is far better than an hour of floating around..for me! I would highly recommend anyone in my position to find some backing tracks that you have full control of, it really adds a spark of sunshine.....
Gene61 is offline   Reply With Quote