Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Introduce Yourself

Old 11-21-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Buck90

Buck90 Just getting started
Smile Complete novice...

Hi guys,

I'm new to guitars, I'm really just looking for input on what kind of guitR to get my fiance for christmas. I'm having a tough time deciding since I don't know much about the specs. I was hoping for some input/opinions.

I've narrowed it down to 4 guitars.
1. Fender American Elite Telecaster.
2. Ernie ball music man Albert lee.
3. Prs mccarty hollowbody
4. Prs custom 24.

I'll add, just for some context, my fiance absolutely loves mike einziger from incubus playing. All of the guitars I've picked out are based on Mikes preferences. My fiance currently has a fender stratocaster.

Any recommendations are appreciated!!
Buck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #2
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Wow, you're a "go big or stay home" sort aren't you. All of those guitars are a bit north of where my budget would be. They're all fine guitars. At that price, I would suggest not making it a surprise. Go to a store together (or online, or whatever) and let her pick out the one she wants.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Agree, there is a big difference between a telecaster and a hollowbody, that's like deciding between a sports car or a 4x4, really depends on the person and what sound and style they like.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

I'll pile on here to agree that it would be best to let them decide on which one. Guitar players can be a rather finicky and picky bunch...not only will we obsess over which brand, model, color, and configuration to get...we obsess over which 2 seemingly identical guitars are better.

You could get them into the store under another pretense and then say "hey, while we are here, why don't you pick yourself a guitar...my treat!!". For some of us, part of the enjoyment is the browsing and test driving.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 PM   #5
stratstrummer

stratstrummer Just getting started

Wow, spendy choice. Very spendy, but good choices........
stratstrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

I've never met a woman that didn't enjoy going shopping, why not get her a set of strings, a handful of picks, an electronic tuner and put it all inside a case. Drop in a card that says, "We're going shopping tomorrow!"

Talk to the manager of the guitar shop, tell your plans and that you may have to return the case for another model, They will have zero problem, I assure you.
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Given the price of those guitars, I would do what other have suggested. - Give him/her a note indicating that it is good for exchange for any of those guitars at any store, in your presence.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

try out a Jackson if she is looking for something like a strat sound.if she wants a more mello sound try a tel.thin line. I'm am suggesting gutiars with the fender feel.because that's what she is use to playing,makes it eazyer to get use to
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:28 PM   #9
Made4Christ

Made4Christ Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty Louie View Post
I've never met a woman that didn't enjoy going shopping, why not get her a set of strings, a handful of picks, an electronic tuner and put it all inside a case. Drop in a card that says, "We're going shopping tomorrow!"

Talk to the manager of the guitar shop, tell your plans and that you may have to return the case for another model, They will have zero problem, I assure you.
Agree, Awesome idea!
Made4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 AM   #10
Lefty Louie
Banned

Lefty Louie Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck90 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to guitars, I'm really just looking for input on what kind of guitR to get my fiance for christmas. I'm having a tough time deciding since I don't know much about the specs. I was hoping for some input/opinions.

I've narrowed it down to 4 guitars.
1. Fender American Elite Telecaster.
2. Ernie ball music man Albert lee.
3. Prs mccarty hollowbody
4. Prs custom 24.

I'll add, just for some context, my fiance absolutely loves mike einziger from incubus playing. All of the guitars I've picked out are based on Mikes preferences. My fiance currently has a fender stratocaster.

Any recommendations are appreciated!!
So? What happened?
Lefty Louie is offline   Reply With Quote