Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 11-22-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

You will see people play standing up and the guitar is almost under their chin. This is usually because they practice or had lessons sitting down when they stand up they set their strap so as the guitar is almost the exact position it was in when sitting. Some people have it hanging below their knees cos it looks cool but harder to play so I guess anywhere between these two positions. Are you going for playability whatever is comfortable if you are going for the look stand in front of a mirror till it looks cool and take it from there.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

For me personally, the classical position is for me when playing ALL guitars acoustic or electric. I don't use a footrest, but on the left knee is much better FOR ME than on the right knee. As said, what is comfortable for you is correct. I've always played, sung, and felt natural standing, I only sit now because I don't have to stand...
Old 11-29-2017, 10:12 PM   #13
BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out BallisticSquid huffs white out

The biggest mistake I see beginners making is twisting the guitar so the fretboard is facing more toward them so they can see what they are doing. This makes things even more difficult. Hold the guitar parallel to your body and arch your head forward to see if you need to.

It is important to figure this out when starting out, so it's good that you are paying attention to this.
BallisticSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 10:48 PM   #14
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Old 11-30-2017, 08:27 PM   #15
Dirt

Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Dirt The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

When playing for any longer than a few minutes I prefer to use a strap and stand up while playing………… Playing for an extended period of time while seated tends to wreck havoc on my back and neck.
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:43 AM   #16
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started

I sneak up on mine before she knows I'm there so she can't run away .
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:57 AM   #17
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
WOW!!!! I didn't know MACHETE played Bass.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #18
JaxJaxon

JaxJaxon Just getting started

I prefer the Hendrix Style Behind the Head. The eazy way is clasical
JaxJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #19
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
WOW!!!! I didn't know MACHETE played Bass.
LOL - It's actually Robert Trujillo. He's played with Metallica, Ozzy and Suicidal Tendencies.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #20
Made4Christ

Made4Christ Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
The biggest mistake I see beginners making is twisting the guitar so the fretboard is facing more toward them so they can see what they are doing. This makes things even more difficult. Hold the guitar parallel to your body and arch your head forward to see if you need to.

It is important to figure this out when starting out, so it's good that you are paying attention to this.
Yes, I've had this tendency. Are we not supposed to look at the frets and strings while we play? (many many years beginner here)
Made4Christ is offline   Reply With Quote