Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #221
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJaxon View Post
if Tone wood isn't then why do collectors of violins choose certain types and check them for tone quality
Are you asking why collectors of violins prefer violins with the "best" tone? I think that question answers itself doesn't it?

We've come a long way from talking about wood in an electric guitar though.

I have to say this isn't the way most other subjects are discussed is it? If you want to know how a car works, you read up on mechanics and then you know how a car works. You don't come up with some "theory" without understanding mechanics and then ask "well, why do some people like leather seats if it doesn't make your car go faster?".
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #222
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
You don't come up with some "theory" without understanding mechanics and then ask "well, why do ....
Wait... You understand the mechanics of resonant interference?

Pot/Kettle
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:28 PM   #223
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Wait... You understand the mechanics of resonant interference?

Pot/Kettle
I understand that the difference in damping between wood types on a solid body guitar isn't great and that the bridge and it's method of fastening is much greater.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #224
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxJaxon View Post
if Tone wood isn't then why do collectors of violins choose certain types and check them for tone quality
You're conflating the value of a collectible, with "tone quality?" So, the more valuable something is, the more tone it has?

I guess guitars should be made from emeralds for great tone.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:44 AM   #225
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silimtao View Post
You're conflating the value of a collectible, with "tone quality?" So, the more valuable something is, the more tone it has?

I guess guitars should be made from emeralds for great tone.
If you were going to market a guitar and market resonance pseudoscience, use quartz.. Far cheaper than emerald.
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:10 AM   #226
Lorenzo Canella

Lorenzo Canella Just getting started

Surely, not dramatically, but they influence the tone, by nuances in electric guitars
Lorenzo Canella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #227
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Discussions of tone wood often revolve around acoustic guitars. It's often assumed that the unique properties of the wood have absolutely everything to do with the tone of the instrument. There are some very fine sounding acoustic guitars made out of carbon fiber. Not a bit of wood in them. Some of their owners would put them up against the best wooden guitars.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:43 PM   #228
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking DanRode The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
Discussions of tone wood often revolve around acoustic guitars. It's often assumed that the unique properties of the wood have absolutely everything to do with the tone of the instrument. There are some very fine sounding acoustic guitars made out of carbon fiber. Not a bit of wood in them. Some of their owners would put them up against the best wooden guitars.
Perhaps it should be tone materials? It doesn't have to be wood to have tonal properties.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:50 PM   #229
St.Fill
To love 'er is tequila...

St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal St.Fill is 3 fries short of a Happy Meal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg0 View Post
There are some very fine sounding acoustic guitars made out of carbon fiber. Not a bit of wood in them. Some of their owners would put them up against the best wooden guitars.
100% true. Because I moved to Florida, and in consideration of the heat and humidity here, I got rid of my wood bodied acoustics and have only have one acoustic now (not counting my National), which is a Rainsong, 12 fret JM1000.
100% carbon fiber, not a single piece of wood on it anywhere.

With a good, well designed c/f acoustic, the carbon fiber used (especially for the top of the guitar) is MUCH thinner than any wood top, and its also not braced. It doesnt need any bracing since carbon fiber is much stiffer, lighter and stronger than wood.

So you're right about preferring it to a wood acoustic. I did a lengthy A/B comparison between the Rainsong and a Martin I had (a limited edition 12 fret Martin 'Judy Collins' dreadnaught).

The Rainsong most definitely sounded better than the Martin in every way, and as a bonus (unrelated to wood or c/f) it also plays better than the Martin. From clarity and projection, note separation, depth of tone, responding to different types and gauges of strings, to sheer volume when played... the Rainsong won hands down every time.

The fact that it is impervious to heat and humidity changes, that I can leave it out on a stand and not have to think about humidifying the guitar, and considering the tone it produces, that guitar is a winner that Ill keep forever.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #230
Seattle

The point should also be that the "tone" isn't inherent to the material. It's the construction method. If something can be strong and thin at the same time it will move more easily and therefore displace more air.

Lower frequencies come from larger spaces and can also be accentuated due to the bracing. Higher frequencies are mostly generated near the bridge and on top of the sound board. You can have smaller guitars that are still good in the higher frequencies.

Tone is a construction related characteristic.