Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Guitars

Old 01-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #131
hippychip

hippychip Just getting started

How did this thread get turned into a quality issue? The only true test of the "tone wood" theory would be done with ONE guitar. Swap EVERYTHING to a different body, and eliminate all other variables. I'm not interested in debating whether an American Standard Strat sounds better than a Squier Affinity, or a Gibson Les Paul sounds better than an Epiphone Special II. Everything identical except the wood---not the same kind of parts---the same parts. That is the ONLY proof I will accept!
Old 01-07-2018, 08:00 PM   #132
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
How did this thread get turned into a quality issue? The only true test of the "tone wood" theory would be done with ONE guitar. Swap EVERYTHING to a different body, and eliminate all other variables. I'm not interested in debating whether an American Standard Strat sounds better than a Squier Affinity, or a Gibson Les Paul sounds better than an Epiphone Special II. Everything identical except the wood---not the same kind of parts---the same parts. That is the ONLY proof I will accept!
I am just expanding on the overall theme and Meta messages at hand.

Last edited by Sixstringplayer; 01-07-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:40 PM   #133
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

Quote:
It has been done, and I linked the results (it may have been referenced here, but I didn't see the link).

You're welcome to dig through the links in this old thread; I can't say for sure the link is there, but it's somewhere in the thread: http://www.guitarforums.com/showpost...7&postcount=40

Of course, the tonewood believers, didn't take the test...

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:14 PM   #134
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
This is the only publicly available data I've found. I'm going to check with my old coworkers to see if I can get Yamaha's data, as the below paper's methodology and understand is lacking (it's a uni student, so we shouldn't knock him).

http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/te...uitar_wood.pdf

You'll see that the Alder graphs vary from the Ash graph by >3db in a number of frequency ranges.
KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #135
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

Quote:
Here is some tone wood for y'all...not!

https://youtu.be/V9-ltPsbw9g
Tone sometimes comes from hair, glasses and a hat. In that case we can't rule out tone coming from the neck.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 PM   #136
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixstringplayer View Post
Brilliant! And well said. It is precisely these design elements in combination with better material and workmanship that distinguish one guitar from another. More is more, better is better and this can be measured in a real-world way.
Haha...Fantastic! Good is great and better is best! I know what I hear and facts be damned! We don't know everything and one day we are going to find out that our tone comes from the wood!
Old 01-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #137
Seattle

Quote:
]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrEar7dgVwI
Old 01-07-2018, 10:29 PM   #138
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle View Post
facts be damned!
Damned indeed...

KamaK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #139
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
This is the only publicly available data I've found. I'm going to check with my old coworkers to see if I can get Yamaha's data, as the below paper's methodology and understand is lacking (it's a uni student, so we shouldn't knock him).

http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/te...uitar_wood.pdf

You'll see that the Alder graphs vary from the Ash graph by >3db in a number of frequency ranges.
So the claim is that Alder is louder than Ash? Or rather that one piece of wood was louder than a second piece of wood. Or rather that with a sample size of two pieces of wood, they weren't identical? Or that a microphone handled the data differently than a magnetic pickup?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:34 PM   #140
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamaK View Post
Damned indeed...

Would you care to describe what you are looking at and its significance?