Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Technique, Style, & Genre

Old 07-01-2015, 10:17 PM   #11
BigDawgsByte
Apple Fanboi

BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow BigDawgsByte Confuses Ass and Elbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEAVEYUSA View Post
I contantly rip mine off because i hold my pick deep with a nib sticking out. Now Im experimenting with power chords and really ripping my nails up
Same here if I don't keep them trimmed closely, the little finger-picking I do is always with the meaty part of my fingers. Never could pick with my nails worth a damn when I tried to learn classical back in the day.
iConnectAudio4+
BigDawgsByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #12
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

I clip my nails to about 1/4" and I think the key in not catching the nail on a string is to file 'em. I use a diamond nail file that I've had for 30 years. Can't find the damn thing right now.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:07 PM   #13
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abo View Post
Jase has myproblem the nail would catch the string and then it would be a loud note just sounded abs felt terrible
Just trim them.

If my nails become long enough to catch I slightly angle the finger to make contact with the fleshy part. Like I said it used to bother me, but I can play with both. I would still rather play the fleshy part of the finger, and not because I don't like the nails catching but would rather the softer tone.

Another thing that can happen is your using to much force with the fingers so when you catch a nail it becomes more pronounced. A softer touch with the right hand will make catching less of an issue and they glide over the strings more.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #14
AlyKat
Collab Queen

AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out AlyKat huffs white out

I keep the nails on both hands super short & I do a lot of finger picking, that's what works best for me. Sorry, but I think a guy with long nails is just gruesome !
Aly
Old 07-03-2015, 02:56 PM   #15
Old_Man_Rocker

Old_Man_Rocker Just getting started

I keep them short.
Old_Man_Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #16
Underdog
...just sayin...

Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed Underdog desperately needs retubed

When my nails stick out, I use a hammer to beat them back in....
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

"The nail that sticks out, shall be hammered down." - Japanese proverb

I'm a righty, and fingerpick with that hand. I was signing documents yesterday, and could see the other person looking at my hand, and saw that I haven't trimmed my nails in awhile (because of the missing nail file), and all I could think was, ewwww....

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:30 PM   #18
Rustee
carbon based biped

Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop Rustee likes poop

I grow and file my i, m, & a fingers, but have never been able to adequately shape my thumbnail, so I keep that one trimmed. But even those fingernails are ideally filed to almost exactly the height of my finger itself, far from feminine or flamenco length. My preferred tone is achieved when the majority of the contact comes from the flesh, but releases or slides off from the nail. As such, those nails are shaped into the classical "ramps."
Old 07-03-2015, 10:43 PM   #19
Abo
A thongs stuck n my teeth

Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON Abo For A Good Time, Call 800-STRAPMEON

For the record dirty nails turn my stomach however that has nothing to do with guitar playing.
Abo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #20
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustee View Post
My preferred tone is achieved when the majority of the contact comes from the flesh, but releases or slides off from the nail. As such, those nails are shaped into the classical "ramps."
Nailed it.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote