Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 02-10-2018, 11:43 PM   #11
KamaK
Retired

KamaK Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by grousehunter49 View Post
Ok.you mean pull the two clips of the speaker...also. my Orange micro terror says min 4 ohm can I use the 8 ohm cab? I am,,should I?
Yes. Insulate them so they aren't just dangling with the potential to short. The diagram I found has a jack on the other side, and if your amp has one, you should use it instead of the speaker quick-releases.
KamaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #12
Cobra

Cobra Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
I'm pretty sure that Peavey has a website that will allow you to contact them about technical matters. Try that first. You'd be surprised at what kind of speaker configurations will work. With that said, the previous post is dead on when they tell you that the amp will try to deliver twice the power if you connect half the load. I once got away with hooking a Fender Frontman 25 watter up to two 12 " speakers. It sounded great but I never allowed the master volume to go above 12 o'clock. If I had turned it up to full volume, it would have tried to deliver 50 watts and that would have caused the transistors to over saturate and that would have caused thermal runaway and that would be nuclear meltdown to the amp and then I wouldn't be able to turn it back down and then I'd have to jerk the cord out of the wall socket to turn it off, and then the smoke would fill the room, and then I wouldn't be able to see and couldn't find my phone to call the fire department, and then I'd be overcome by the smoke and die. But I digress.
That was funny! I could almost smell the smoke and feel the heat!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:57 AM   #13
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

When I was working in the last Music store I was doing Guitar tech work for, I talked to one of the Amp Manufacturer representatives about this subject (I'm pretty sure he worked for Peavey) and he said something about amps getting really pissed off as you approached 2 ohms. Just for information's sake, I was told by an Electrical Engineer that the Speaker Impedance is determined by inserting a 1000 cycle signal into the speaker and then using a very expensive piece of test equipment the AC resistance is determined. Therefore, an 8 Ohm speaker is only 8 Ohms at 1000 cycles. The impedance rises as the frequency rises and the Impedance falls as the frequency decreases. You can then infer that it is a nominal impedance. Don't ask me if the Impedance change is Linear or Logrithmic because I don't know and I don't care.
Old 02-11-2018, 03:07 AM   #14
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKVeazey View Post
When I was working in the last Music store I was doing Guitar tech work for, I talked to one of the Amp Manufacturer representatives about this subject (I'm pretty sure he worked for Peavey) and he said something about amps getting really pissed off as you approached 2 ohms. Just for information's sake, I was told by an Electrical Engineer that the Speaker Impedance is determined by inserting a 1000 cycle signal into the speaker and then using a very expensive piece of test equipment the AC resistance is determined. Therefore, an 8 Ohm speaker is only 8 Ohms at 1000 cycles. The impedance rises as the frequency rises and the Impedance falls as the frequency decreases. You can then infer that it is a nominal impedance. Don't ask me if the Impedance change is Linear or Logrithmic because I don't know and I don't care.
Yep that's true, coils increase impedance with frequency. Capacitors it lowers with higher frequency.
Impedance is A.C. 'resistance' so to speak.

Over all, if the output says 16 ohms, as long as the speaker combo is 16 ohms, it should be fine. It said 16 minimum which reveals that less than 16 is the issue.
Is this a twin 12 amp? It might have those two in series totaling 16, so it wants 16 on the external to match.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #15
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

I have a Classic 30, it's a 1x12 combo. There have been other Classic series amps from Peavey and I know they did/do make a 50 watt 2x12 version, but I've never heard of a 30 watt 2x12 version in the Classic range. There are two extension cabs in the Classic range, a 1x12 and a 2x12, both rated at 16 ohms.
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:44 PM   #16
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Ah ok, mine is a Classic 65 watt, 2x12.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:35 AM   #17
GarethB

GarethB Just getting started

Peavey had a range of amps back in the 80's called VTX, and one of them, a 65 watt 2x12 combo is labelled as the "Classic".

Peavey also have a separate range of amps called the "Classic" range, and they are still being built. There are no models rated above 50 watts in this range.

If your amp looks like the one in this link, it's a VTX with the model name "Classic".
https://assets.peavey.com/literature...s/80343008.pdf

If your amp looks like the one in this link and you're sure it's 65 watts, you have something very unusual (or it was modded to change it from 50 watts to 65 watts).
https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/116331
GarethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:37 AM   #18
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

Yep, mine is the VTX Classic, early 80's. 65 watts, sounds like 100, never had to go over 2.5 on the master even jamming with a band. Love this old amp!
Got it brand new, it was only 285.00 at the music store where I got it. AWESOME price for the tone, and volume of this amp. The only downside of that amp is it feels like it weights 50000 lbs lol heavy heavy!

You can see it in this photo ( I sold the marshall on top, sounded like crap)

Last edited by ronpfid; 02-12-2018 at 01:49 AM.
ronpfid is offline   Reply With Quote