Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > Amplifiers

Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM   #21
Smith357

Smith357 Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
As an aside, I have a heck of a time demoing amps at the guitar stores.
Demo the gear on a week day if possible, it helps if you get there early. I work within a mile of a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center They are both empty at lunch times during the work week, I made the mistake of going in on the weekend once and could not hear myself think through all the noise.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #22
evan47

evan47 Just getting started

I was once of the opinion that if it didnt have tubes it wouldnt do justice to my playing and used a few different tube amps over the years, a jcm 800 2 channel, a tsl 122 and a laney aor (all combos) which were all capable of great sounds but not quiet at whisper levels.
I then added a boogie v-twin preamp pedal straight in to the power amp of the marshal tsl i22 and wow! Did that thing sing!
Due to the background noise from the power amp and the poor reliability of the tubes available to me and lack of a tech to bias the amp after retubing I switched back to a hybrid marshall valvestate and then to a solid state version (with the v-twin) which I found to be on a par with anything at sensible volume levels.
Then, along came digital modelling with a boss gt6 and also the earliar vox valvetronix ....... I no longer needed or wanted the v-twin (surprisingly).
I currently use the THR10c and a boss me 80 as I am now a home use only player and am as happy as I have ever been sound wise.
The one most important thing that I have learnt about getting a good guitar sound is the fact that you must have enough volume to "shift a little air" as we used to say which inevitably means being a little on the loud side.
I no longer see (or hear) the need for a tube amp as modern modelling technology has come a long way from the earlier days of solid state amps, to something that I never thought was attainable but you still need a bit of grunt regarding the volume level.
evan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #23
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started

Even though I have a tube amp I don't think you need one either. If this one broke I'd get a decent modeling amp. Even my Roland Micro Cube is decent. It just has a small speaker but a decent modeling amp with a large speaker would work for me as well.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #24
Silimtao
Baaand

Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life Silimtao REALY needs to get a life

"Moving air" is one of those psychological effects imo. When I watch A/B tests on tubes vs. everything else, what's often said is, "I thought that [modeller] was a tube because I thought I was moving air."

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves. - Thoreau

Works of art make rules but rules do not make works of art. - Debussy.
Silimtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 AM   #25
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

My only regret with my HRDLX is that the "Master channel" isn't one at all. It's a separate channel where the dirt is. I wish you could max the volume, and then use the Master for control of overall output, but they don't work that way, they should, but they don't.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:19 AM   #26
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation BobF Will lend you their face while your ass is on vacation

I had a HR Dlx and then a Blues Jr in the 01-03 timeframe. Neither worked for me in a home setup.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 02:15 AM   #27
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode Just getting started DanRode Just getting started

I like the Blues JR on paper but every time I hear one, I'm not in love. Maybe as a pedal platform? I'm fine with pedals but I need to like the amp on it's own. The Bassman seems to be much closer. The 007 is maybe the right size but the 15w has 3 gain structure options, XLR out for recording that could also be co-opted for headphones and reverb. Gotta play some of them and see.

I might fall in love with a Champion 40, for all I know. My instincts with amps are almost always wrong.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM   #28
Hawk

Hawk Just getting started Hawk Just getting started

The 7 looks neat, but don't assume the wattage is going to cause any big difference in volume between it and the 15. 7w can be brutally loud in a home setting. Plus you are missing out the things that make the 15 an attractive option (to me).

The Champ 40 is kind of a turd. I had one and got rid of it. Decent clean sounds but that's about it. It seems like it's made of balsa.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 PM   #29
pdawg0

pdawg0 Just getting started

Here's another option. I know a while back you got a Mustang 1. If you like the features of the Mustang, the Super Champ X2 might be a good fit for you. It has a modeling front-end, very similar to the Mustang (and uses Fender Fuse), but the output is a 15 watt, tube stage with dual 6L6's. This is basically the same output stage as the Fender Princeton. The built-in effects are pretty good and it takes pedals well, too. I have the combo, which has a 10" speaker. I wish I had gotten the head and cabinet, that has a 12" speaker. The amp sounds great at low volumes, and can be way too loud when it needs to be.
pdawg0 is offline   Reply With Quote