Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > The Gear > General Gear Discussion

Old 08-11-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking
Default On pedal/effects patch cables...

Do they need to be of good quality? I need some for my pedal board. I see some colored but thin ones, then I see some with thick cables. Would it matter?
littlebadboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #2
The.Duck

The.Duck Just getting started

Always get the best quality cables you can afford.
You dont have to have overpriced "top shelf" brand cables, but dont skimp and buy them from the bargain bin either.
The.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
littlebadboy

littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking littlebadboy The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Duck View Post
Always get the best quality cables you can afford.
You dont have to have overpriced "top shelf" brand cables, but dont skimp and buy them from the bargain bin either.
Thanks! Been always using mfx, didn't have the need, so I had no idea.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:54 PM   #4
The.Duck

The.Duck Just getting started

Home playing is much more forgiving. Cranking up the volume, especially at a place that might have "dirty" power, you'll really appreciate quality cables.
The.Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Sixstringplayer

Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn Sixstringplayer is like a door knob: everybody gets a turn

Or make your own.
Sixstringplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I've always assumed that for the very short runs of a typical patch cable that quality wouldn't matter much, because their capacitance will be very low. Maybe someone can comment.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:15 AM   #7
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

If you were operating at Radio frequencies, it would be critical. Since you are operating at 80 to 2000 cycles, it doesn't matter. If you had a long cable run it also would matter. Those jumper cables are only 1 foot or less, so it doesn't matter. Now, that I've told you it doesn't matter, you should still buy Jumper cables that are of good quality so they will not break and so they will last a long time.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 AM   #8
littlebadboy

Thank you all! I was torned between a pack of cheap colored ones but looked like thin cables while the other of almost the same size with only 2 sets in it but thicker cables and better plugs.
Old 08-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Revenge of the Naked Ape
Tinnitus Merit Badge

Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools Revenge of the Naked Ape has been ordered to stay at least 1000 feet away from elementary schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebadboy View Post
Do they need to be of good quality? I need some for my pedal board. I see some colored but thin ones, then I see some with thick cables. Would it matter?
Don't skimp but don't go too crazy either—once you get past the dregs, it really doesn't matter much from there.

We Remember.

Hellbox Effects

Free "open source" EagleCAD files: 99ZuluFX
Revenge of the Naked Ape is offline   Reply With Quote