Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 09-04-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title
Default Making more sense.

Its starting to click how important it is to know the notes on the fretboard. Especially for creating lines where you can travel along the entire fretboard.

When playing my riffs, and patterns i usually look to taking the melody further on other areas of the neck, and noticed i was playing in an area that had the same notes, but sounded different ( perhaps through playing them in different order?).Im paying more attention to the intervals as well, and can hear that duff note that dont fit so just move it up or down depending where i am. Ive noticed i can play that off note, but dont hang around on there.

Anyone got anything to add there, and something i can work on further?. I do want to learn more theory if only to understand what im doing more, and why certain things work while others dont. Why are the intervals etc important, and whats happening to the chord or scale when that note that dont fit is played.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I slowly learned the names of the notes but it took years of playing all up and down the guitar neck. I mean about 10 years.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
Cobalt
Collab Serf

Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket Cobalt 's life has gone to hell in a hand basket

You probably already know this but you can find a melody that you like up close to the net and then find 3 or 4 more places to place the same melody as you move down. It's just a good exercise to do and eventually you start to know how and where stuff will repeat.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:53 PM   #4
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Years ago, I friend who was a great jazz guitarist, told me, "Learn your axe". He then explained that it meant I should know where every note on the neck was located. He was right. Later on, I watched other guitarist play tunes that I played and they were working their ass off to play lines that I found easy because I hunted around for a position to play in that made the fingerings simple.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #5
Tony Done

Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Tony Done The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

Are you a "position player" or do you actually know the notes? I'm the former, if I was asked what note I was playing, I would have to think about it. Both kinds are well-represented among famous players, I'm guessing it comes down to folk/pop/latin versus jazz/classical.
Tony Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #6
Seattle

Seattle Just getting started Seattle Just getting started

I think it is productive to know all the notes on the fretboard. I don't know them all by sight but I can think about them for a second and then know them. The more I use a particular area of the fretboard then the more I know those notes by sight.

I also think it's a good practice to take a melody that you have in your head already and then play it on the guitar in several places. It just helps with intervals without actually having to think about what you are doing.

Last edited by Seattle; 09-19-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #7
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Chord shapes at different positions are a workable bridge for me. I'm with Tony though, I'm more pattern oriented, but the shapes help me quickly recognize the key notes along the way.

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
Are you a "position player" or do you actually know the notes? I'm the former, if I was asked what note I was playing, I would have to think about it. Both kinds are well-represented among famous players, I'm guessing it comes down to folk/pop/latin versus jazz/classical.
I started out knowing the notes and evolved into a position player. Once I know where the root is, then all the other notes just become numbers.
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
RainDancer
Dark Universe

RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute RainDancer is a virtuoso at playing skinflute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase View Post
Anyone got anything to add there, and something i can work on further?.
Once you know where all the notes are on the fret board, you can use this to do several things.

1: Economy playing which means minimal hand movement along the neck
2: Tonal playing. You find a good riff, then play about with it. A good example is E G Gb A F You can play this in economy mode by string skipping, but if you play it all on the G string and slide into each note it sounds so much better.

Example here of that riff starting at 1:27
https://soundcloud.com/dark-universe/pulse-ii
Old 09-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
Jase
Principe del Galles

Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title Jase doesn't deserve a title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDancer View Post
Once you know where all the notes are on the fret board, you can use this to do several things.

1: Economy playing which means minimal hand movement along the neck
2: Tonal playing. You find a good riff, then play about with it. A good example is E G Gb A F You can play this in economy mode by string skipping, but if you play it all on the G string and slide into each note it sounds so much better.

Example here of that riff starting at 1:27
https://soundcloud.com/dark-universe/pulse-ii
Thanks ray, and for the replies. I'll jump on this over the weekend, and go through everyone's suggestions. Work is killing my time playing wise at the moment, but it's never far away from what I want to do soon as I'm free.
Jase is offline   Reply With Quote