Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > Skills > Theory

Old 08-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #1
zanshin777

zanshin777 Just getting started
Default Should I take piano lessons or not?

1) I wondered composition departments of music schools require piano as main instrument. Why?

You can play bass line and melody line in the same time in the piano but it doesn't have to be not that much important. I think you can still compose bass line and melody line seperately.

You should learn notes on piano to play it on the other hand some guitar players don't know how to read music notes. They stick with shapes or ear. But still I think you can read and play with notes on the guitar.

So what's the reason?

2) Can I compose jazz like piano partitions on guitar or as a guitar player? Or should I take jazz piano lessons to get the insight?
zanshin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #2
Hi Hat

Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking Hi Hat The Oven's On But Nothing's Cooking

I have a keyboard and I think it helps me play guitar better. The keyboard is easier for me to learn music theory on.
Hi Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #3
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi Hat View Post
I have a keyboard and I think it helps me play guitar better. The keyboard is easier for me to learn music theory on.
Ditto

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
classicrock

classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma classicrock 's middle name is smegma

After playing guitar of 40 years I just started learning piano the first of this year. I'm not taking lessons from an instructor. I'm strictly learning off of Youtube. It's one of the reasons I've been absent here lately and rarely post anymore. Its been a mind blowing experience and I'm soaking it up like a sponge. On guitar I've always been I guess what you would call a shape player, though I have a decent background in music theory. The difference on the piano is, being the visual learner that I am, music theory comes to life. You can see music theory. For example I've been playing major and minor 7 chords all of my life. I never made the connection that Cmaj7 is an Em chord over C in the bass and Cmin7 is and Eb chord over C in the bass. Of course I should have known that because I know the notes in those chords, I just never made the connection. It has definitely changed my guitar playing and approach and made me a better musician.
classicrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Jusca

Jusca Just getting started

For composition, piano gives a much larger range to work with. I picked up drums seriosuly for a year and it changed my rhythm in ways that I didnt experience with guitar lessons.

The exposure to other instruments gives a different approach to making music that your primary instrument may not offer.
Jusca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
BobF
Random Opinion Generator

BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies BobF feels up puppies

I've thought about a Cajon as a way to develop rhythm

--
Angels are crying because TRUTH has died ...

Illegitimi non carborundum
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started

Can't hurt
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:36 PM   #8
PKVeazey
Old Timer

PKVeazey Just getting started

Years ago, when I worked in a music store, I tried every instrument in the store and found that I could move what I knew on guitar to any instrument. None of them was as challenging as the guitar and I lost interest in all the other instruments. The Piano was a bit of a challenge because playing the left hand as accompaniment as Bass and Chords while the right hand covered the lead line was a pain in the butt. Since the Piano is basically laid out as a Diatonic instrument based on the key of C, I didn't like the notion that I had to change fingerings on every chord in order to move Chromatically, I didn't like it. With that said. I remember an interviewer asking Oscar Peterson how he improvised. He said ,"I just play around the shapes". I immediately understood what he meant because that's what most guitarists do. I'm not sure the audience understood that he meant the Shapes of the chords. When I play, I play behind the chord, on top of the chord or in front of the chord. My thought was, "Damn, I must be doing something right".
PKVeazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:20 PM   #9
zanshin777

zanshin777 Just getting started

On piano you have to think notes whilst playing.

1) Maybe on guitar we may build a habit which thinking notes while playing at least when learning songs. Not improvising. and while playing maybe we may say or think note letters.
Maybe this may give us better grasp at theory of the song we play.

2)On the other hand playing ear while learning songs and/or improvising give you information about theory? So If you have a good ear you have to know what you play theorywise.

What do you think about 1) and 2)
zanshin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 02:59 PM   #10
childed
Beethoven's fan

childed Just getting started

if you think abt composing than you must start it immediately )))
childed is offline   Reply With Quote