Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > Open Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 06:00 AM   #51
old geezer

old geezer Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronpfid View Post
Here's my 8 inch dob, on it's homemade rolling cart

Here's my 6 inch scope, which now is 'down', I started make a new spider for it, then another, then another, then didn't finish.

Its the sort of thing that when you start talking and thinking about it. You start getting in into again I find. We only have one life here. Enjoy it is what I say. Build the spider See if you enjoy it again
old geezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:10 AM   #52
old geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBill View Post
The Jupiter in motion is an amazing series. You've got some truly awesome stuff there. At least I am in "awe" of what you are doing/have done.
Thanks for the kind words BB. its been a lifelong passion really. The one thing I am proud of is, I did it with the least amount of money as possible. I've never had a lot. My current setup is about 2000 English pounds. Big cheap scopes are easy to get. The 12" I use I got secondhand damaged for 100 English pounds. Its the mount that's expensive
to hold it. I once got good images with a 10" scope on a small eq mount with wooden legs I kid you not.. when I went near the scope the image would move off screen lol. I like breaking rules. I didn't have the money but still found away is the point. Loved it that much
Old 10-12-2017, 04:08 PM   #53
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

ronpfid Just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by old geezer View Post
Its the sort of thing that when you start talking and thinking about it. You start getting in into again I find. We only have one life here. Enjoy it is what I say. Build the spider See if you enjoy it again
One day I probably will build the spider for that scope, now though I have that 8 inch F6 , which is much better than that 6 inch F5, so I probably wouldn't use the 6 inch at all.

Now.. I do toy with getting a 6 inch Mak OTA to put on the 6 inch scope's equitorial mount instead, then I'd really enjoy planetary viewing.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:22 PM   #54
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

Is there not a ready made spider for that scope?? I know the spider on my 8in dob got the vanes bent from my own stupidity, I contacted Orion and they sent me a new one. They are delicate for sure.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:14 AM   #55
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

I can't find a premade that fits exactly like the original. only because originally the spider is part of the end cap, they made the tube so short that the secondary has to be really close to the end. I could buy a spider from Antares and make an end cap, but then I'd have to spend 100 bucks on it and probably still wont' use the scope much since my other scope is bigger and has a better F ratio
Old 10-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #56
old geezer

Quote:
One day I probably will build the spider for that scope, now though I have that 8 inch F6 , which is much better than that 6 inch F5, so I probably wouldn't use the 6 inch at all.

Now.. I do toy with getting a 6 inch Mak OTA to put on the 6 inch scope's equitorial mount instead, then I'd really enjoy planetary viewing.
I had the legendary Meade 7" F15 Maksutov cassegrain My 10" Orion UK F6.3 1/10th pv optics Newtonian was better mind.
Cheaper actually. Meade was quite portable
Old 10-13-2017, 09:47 AM   #57
old geezer

Checkout sky watcher Maksutovs
Old 10-13-2017, 04:12 PM   #58
ronpfid
Getting my Mojo back

You had a Meade 7 inch mak?? Had? It's gone? oh bummer, I used to lust at those, fork mount, big mak... total dream scope!

Yes, those are the ones I might afford one day, supposed to be pretty good, maybe not as solid as an Intes, but way cheaper and still good enough for me!
Old 10-16-2017, 11:33 PM   #59
Parralax view

Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia Parralax view can't see their genitalia

I worked half a day Saturday attempting to collimate my 8 in dob. The secondary was out, I got it in, got reasonable images, but were cloudy, look down the tube and half the sahara desert is on the primary mirror, so all the adjusting went out the window as I will have to remove the primary to wash it.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #60
old geezer

Quote:
You had a Meade 7 inch mak?? Had? It's gone? oh bummer, I used to lust at those, fork mount, big mak... total dream scope!

Yes, those are the ones I might afford one day, supposed to be pretty good, maybe not as solid as an Intes, but way cheaper and still good enough for me!
you know there is a parallel here with Chinese guitars. I will have two Chinese guitars soon. Cost versus performance is where china comes in My best lunar stuff was with a large 12"
mass produced Chinese mirror. I think some Chinese guitars will surprise like there optics can. Weird parallel