Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > In The Studio > Recording & Software

Old 10-05-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
DanRode
Dixie Flatline

DanRode Just getting started DanRode Just getting started
Default Managing audio ins and outs

I'm doing some planning for my budget mini-studio. I'm using a Mac Mini and Garageband but I may switch to Reaper or similar later on. I want a minimal 1-person hobby studio and practice station. Small and budget friendly but useable.

Inputs
* Mic
* Lnstrument / amp
* Line-in (aux-in)
* Mac audio: Music, videos, system sounds, etc.

Outputs
* Monitors
* Headphones
* Maybe live monitor out?

For the outputs, I want everything plugged in all time with separate volumes and a on-off toggle of some type. I could potentially make an on-off toggle panel. I'd like to avoid using the monitor headphone out jack.

I have a cheap audio interface today. I'll probably upgrade to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and pair that with Presonus Eris monitors.

It seems like I have very reasonable, simple needs. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #2
MrHarryReems
Dead Man Walking

MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow MrHarryReems Confuses Ass and Elbow

That's a pretty simple setup. I'm assuming you plan is to mostly do multitracking, so you can do quite a bit with just 2 inputs. I started with a simple 2 channel interface and an SM-57 clone.
MrHarryReems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
Hurricane Ramon

Hurricane Ramon Just getting started
Exclamation Minimalists Unite !

[SIZE="4"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRode View Post
I'm doing some planning for my budget mini-studio. I'm using a Mac Mini and Garageband but I may switch to Reaper or similar later on. I want a minimal 1-person hobby studio and practice station. Small and budget friendly but useable.

Inputs
* Mic
* Lnstrument / amp
* Line-in (aux-in)
* Mac audio: Music, videos, system sounds, etc.

Outputs
* Monitors
* Headphones
* Maybe live monitor out?

For the outputs, I want everything plugged in all time with separate volumes and a on-off toggle of some type. I could potentially make an on-off toggle panel. I'd like to avoid using the monitor headphone out jack.

I have a cheap audio interface today. I'll probably upgrade to the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and pair that with Presonus Eris monitors.

It seems like I have very reasonable, simple needs. Any advice or tips would be appreciated.[/SIZE
]

Hello DanRode :

Can't go wrong with the 2nd.Gen. Focusrite series interfaces . I down loaded the bundled software >> Ableton / Pro Tool DAW's , but
The Reaper DAW was easy peasey and I'm beginning to use it . The prices are really good too now on the 2i2-4i4-& 6i6 , the solo is
$99.00 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...AaAmXrEALw_wcB..

A Shure SM57 and a Samson C01 large diaphragm phantom powered mic round out my system's mic's for the high end fidelity sound .

On the monitoring I have several options to use in the Scarlett I have with it's double headphone's with separate volume control in
front and the 4 line outs it has in the back

This pic is of a Scarlett 6i6 1st.Gen. issue , the 2nd.Gen. have recessed jacks on the rear panel . The 2nd.Gen also solved hot guitar pick ups
from over driving the TRS/XLR inputs and got the latency even lower .

The monitors you have chosen will work nicely .

I know a few things about speakers . I've made quite a few .

I have a few different speaker systems to draw from . I by accident found a portable AC/DC with a single 8" and X2 hihz tweeters
pumping 150 watts in a bi/tri amp'd configuration that works great as a small studio monitor or stage . Live or at home it has really nice
stereo projection . Looks like a boom box but it's way beyond that with aux in stereo or Bluetooth control . As a acoustic guitar amp it
excels , vocals too X2 XLR/TRS. it's got a great FX engine . The reason I mentioned this is because the cost of those M-audio monitors
comes close to what I payed for my P.A./monitor .

I'm thinking on a small sub woofer to finish out this system , but as it sits it's a keeper . Great for busking and monitoring my
computer for listening to my DAW work and other stuff like just digging sounds or movies while at my computer .

EZ & good luck :

HR
It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 10-05-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Hurricane Ramon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 02:15 PM   #4
Tacman7
Lazy Dog

Tacman7 Just getting started

The monitors don't have to be overwhelming but of good quality.

Having a sub lets you get into the music without damaging your hearing.
Tacman7 is offline   Reply With Quote