Guitar Forums

Go Back   Guitar Forums > General > The Music Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #31
Aquilidar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Poland
Posts: 125
Aquilidar Just getting started
Default

Last year was horrible when it comes to musicians dying, but none of them hit me like this. Completely out of the blue... I don't know what else to write. I'm in shock and disbelief, but also very sad.

RIP Chris Cornell. May your music live on.
Aquilidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 03:42 AM   #32
Xray
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Xray Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smedley Fingers View Post
Hi Xray. I completely disagree with this. It is ok to die for the sake of "The State" to protect them and their information but taking your life because you feel it may be the best way out and possibly the best thing for your family (In his mind) is wrong.

We have no way of knowing what was going on. Accusing him of being weak is unfounded.
Well, making excuses for him isn't helping out much either is it ?
If we have no way to know whats going on, as you say, then why assume you are right and I am wrong ?
Everyones entitled to their opinions, I've dealt with suicide 1st hand numerous times, every time I felt like hopping in the coffin and whacking them in the teeth for the pain they put their families through.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #33
Aquilidar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Poland
Posts: 125
Aquilidar Just getting started
Default

Xray, there is a reason as to why mental disorder such as depression is called a mental illness. Do you really think that people suffering from it want to go through all of this? Everybody's different, some come out of it and in other cases it ends fatal as with Chris Cornell. Depression kills and having it doesn't mean that you are weak, it means you are ill. People often confuse the two and the difference is vast. I never went through depression, but I've been dealing with mental disorders for years, mainly OCD. I never asked for this at any point and before I got better I used to envy other people having their everyday, down-to-earth worries. I'm sure people with depression feel similar.

You are entitled to your opinion, as you said, but you wouldn't be saying that if he had cancer. And feeling sympathy for his family is not mutually exclusive with feeling sympathy for Chris, as Mr. Boston said.

Last edited by Aquilidar; 05-20-2017 at 09:48 AM.
Aquilidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:25 AM   #34
Morfz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 730
Morfz Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilidar View Post
Xray, there is a reason as to why mental disorder such as depression is called a mental illness. Do you really think that people suffering from it want to go through all of this? Everybody's different, some come out of it and in other cases it ends fatal as with Chris Cornell. Depression kills and having it doesn't mean that you are weak, it means you are ill. People often confuse the two and the difference is vast. I never went through depression, but I've been dealing with mental disorders for years, mainly OCD. I never asked for this at any point and before I got better I used to envy other people having their everyday, down-to-earth worries. I'm sure people with depression feel similar.

You are entitled to your opinion, as you said, but you wouldn't be saying that if he had cancer. And feeling sympathy for his family is not mutually exclusive with feeling sympathy for Chris, as Mr. Boston said.
Was just about to write the exact same thing, when I saw your post. +1

Would we call a cancer patient weak ? No. There is A LOT of misunderstandings and ignorance when it comes to mental illnesses.
Morfz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #35
belleswell
Senior Member
 
belleswell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 272
belleswell Just getting started
Default

Chris had a vocal talent that was undeniable. I remember the first time I heard Richie Kotzen, now of Winery Dogs, I thought it was Chris. Mr. Cornell had a 4 octave vocal range which is rare in male vocalists. So sad that his inner circle did not help him get the help he needed. He will be missed.
RIP Chris.
belleswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:12 AM   #36
Xray
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 28
Xray Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilidar View Post
Xray, there is a reason as to why mental disorder such as depression is called a mental illness. Do you really think that people suffering from it want to go through all of this? Everybody's different, some come out of it and in other cases it ends fatal as with Chris Cornell. Depression kills and having it doesn't mean that you are weak, it means you are ill. People often confuse the two and the difference is vast. I never went through depression, but I've been dealing with mental disorders for years, mainly OCD. I never asked for this at any point and before I got better I used to envy other people having their everyday, down-to-earth worries. I'm sure people with depression feel similar.

You are entitled to your opinion, as you said, but you wouldn't be saying that if he had cancer. And feeling sympathy for his family is not mutually exclusive with feeling sympathy for Chris, as Mr. Boston said.

Did you see the part where I wrote:

"The only way I can condone taking your own life is in war to advert capture and people with serious terminal disease."

So no, don't think I'd be saying that about cancer either.

I also said:

"don't feel sorry for him at all but do his family."

Why don't you try reading what people have said before jumping on your box ?

I feel very sorry for his kids, now they will have to live with the trauma and stigma of dad off'ing himself in a hotel because he was allegedly "depressed".
Will be very depressing for them, hopefully they don't follow his sick lead and look to harming themselves as the answer to all their problems.

You think what you want, I don't care how many others agree with you, you ain't gonna change my mind so might as well stop trying.
I always have been very dubious of the "temporary insanity" defense for murderers/rapists ect for the same basic reasoning that I don't see being bummed out as a valid excuse to kill yourself.
Cheap excuse is all it is - And people with addictions tend to look anywhere they can for an excuse.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:50 AM   #37
spacedog
mere mortal
 
spacedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Omicron Persei 8
Posts: 11,123
spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls spacedog squeezes farts out of dead seagulls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I feel very sorry for his kids, now they will have to live with the trauma and stigma of dad off'ing himself in a hotel because he was allegedly "depressed".
It's people like you who create and perpetuate any stigma. Congratulations for being part of the problem!
__________________
the artist formerly known as earthman
spacedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #38
Aquilidar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Poland
Posts: 125
Aquilidar Just getting started
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
Did you see the part where I wrote:

"The only way I can condone taking your own life is in war to advert capture and people with serious terminal disease."

So no, don't think I'd be saying that about cancer either.
Yes I know you wrote that and it was my whole point - that when people have cancer, no one says they are weak or selfish, but suddenly when it comes to depression, they are viewed as such. No one chooses to have cancer or depression. And I'm talking about a mental illness here, not that you have a low mood for a day or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
I also said:

"don't feel sorry for him at all but do his family."

Why don't you try reading what people have said before jumping on your box ?
I'm not sure how what I wrote shows that I didn't read what you wrote (which I did, by the way). Your point was to not feel sorry for Chris, but be sorry for his family. I backed up Mr. Boston on his statement that you can be sorry for both. What's the problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
You think what you want, I don't care how many others agree with you, you ain't gonna change my mind so might as well stop trying.
I always have been very dubious of the "temporary insanity" defense for murderers/rapists ect for the same basic reasoning that I don't see being bummed out as a valid excuse to kill yourself.
Cheap excuse is all it is - And people with addictions tend to look anywhere they can for an excuse.
You write about excuses, but I don't even agree with using that word in that context. People with cancer don't have an excuse to die, it is the reason they die. It is the same with depression.

I never tried to change your mind, because I don't think I can even if I wanted to. However if you state your opinion on something, be ready for a possibility of a counter-view.
Aquilidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Guitar Competition | Piano Lessons